BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #45
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodz View Post
Can you provide thoughts on the sound system? Also does anyone know if its the same as the regular X3?
The sound system was actually one of the only things I was disappointed about during my test drive. Not terrible but not as good as the HK system in my F80 even though it also has a HK system. If my car ends up sounding the same as the test vehicle then I will end up upgrading the speakers from Bavsound.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #46
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Can you provide thoughts on the sound system? Also does anyone know if its the same as the regular X3?
Sound system is the same Harmon Kardan as the upgraded option on all other X3 models, no better no worse. Not bad but no match for the B&W.

So my vehicle had the 1200 mile service and I have spent a few weeks with it. First the suspension is as stiff as ever, sharp steering, great maneuverability but terrible over bad surfaces. This vehicle loves smooth roads, way less SUV way more sports sedan.

Seats are narrow and not comfortable for a large person but otherwise firm and very supportive. Fine for my 1 hour commute. Again make sure you sit and drive it.

Power, ok so it has turbo lag, much more than my M6 or X5M engines which had hardly any, in sport throttle mode it is better but still off the line it is there. Now once underway it is a rocket, and boy the snarl at full throttle at 30-70mph is amazing and a dart in traffic. Makes me smile ever time and want to roll down the windows. Honestly not sure I would upgrade the exhaust given the overall balance of noise and quiet cruising. We will see. BTW it did get louder and more responsive say 10-20% after the break in service. Magnificent midband power.

Otherwise it is a really nice X3, beautiful paint, nice fit and finish. Happy with the wheels, and the black trim.

So my summary is if you put a M3 on one side and a M40i with engine tune on the other, this vehicle is 2/3 M3 and 1/3 X3. It is a great winter alternative for someone who drives a M3/M4 the rest of the year. For me I plan to keep it for the year and then pass it on to my son and get a X5M. Being a 46R 6foot guy I feel that is the better vehicle. Overall this is not a fault of the X3M, just that I prefer the larger more plush vehicle with instant throttle response.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #47
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Sound system is the same Harmon Kardan as the upgraded option on all other X3 models, no better no worse. Not bad but no match for the B&W.

So my vehicle had the 1200 mile service and I have spent a few weeks with it. First the suspension is as stiff as ever, sharp steering, great maneuverability but terrible over bad surfaces. This vehicle loves smooth roads, way less SUV way more sports sedan.

Seats are narrow and not comfortable for a large person but otherwise firm and very supportive. Fine for my 1 hour commute. Again make sure you sit and drive it.

Power, ok so it has turbo lag, much more than my M6 or X5M engines which had hardly any, in sport throttle mode it is better but still off the line it is there. Now once underway it is a rocket, and boy the snarl at full throttle at 30-70mph is amazing and a dart in traffic. Makes me smile ever time and want to roll down the windows. Honestly not sure I would upgrade the exhaust given the overall balance of noise and quiet cruising. We will see. BTW it did get louder and more responsive say 10-20% after the break in service. Magnificent midband power.

Otherwise it is a really nice X3, beautiful paint, nice fit and finish. Happy with the wheels, and the black trim.

So my summary is if you put a M3 on one side and a M40i with engine tune on the other, this vehicle is 2/3 M3 and 1/3 X3. It is a great winter alternative for someone who drives a M3/M4 the rest of the year. For me I plan to keep it for the year and then pass it on to my son and get a X5M. Being a 46R 6foot guy I feel that is the better vehicle. Overall this is not a fault of the X3M, just that I prefer the larger more plush vehicle with instant throttle response.

Noushy
Appreciate the honest feedback. Perhaps I should just hold on to my '18 X5M longer
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #48
ghstm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2/F97 X3M COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Careful though because most reports say M5 comp is very stiff while M5 base is more comfortable. Makes me wonder about X3MC vs X3M but of course no comparos available there yet.
M5 comp is known to have stiffer bushings, engine mount, etc so we can expect the stiffness, but for x3m bmw said that the only diff is 30 hp, and larger rollbars (other than the cosmetic stuff).
So I would think difference between x3m and comp would be minimal.

I could be wrong. Hopefully someone reviews both.
This is the first m car that has such a different review from the reviewers.
top gear saying it's worse than glc63amg, others saying it's soft even in sports plus...
I would say that the suspension is not plush on the X3MC. You def will feel the bumps on. It's not uncomfortable but it reminds me of the way my M2 rides which is not plush. One thing I forgot to check was the tire pressure, the dealer set it to 40psi and I think the manufacturer recommends 35 in the fronts and 38 in the rears. I'll have to dial it in and see if it makes a difference l.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #49
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoB View Post
The sound system was actually one of the only things I was disappointed about during my test drive. Not terrible but not as good as the HK system in my F80 even though it also has a HK system. If my car ends up sounding the same as the test vehicle then I will end up upgrading the speakers from Bavsound.
Thanks for sharing, I have the HK in F80 and think it sounds OK. Guess it will do.
Appreciate 1
noushy1657.00
      08-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #50
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoB View Post
Thanks for sharing, I have the HK in F80 and think it sounds OK. Guess it will do.
I would bet a high end audio shop or bav auto sound might be able to help. I am spoiled with the B&W in my B7 and X5 and my older X5M had the B&O which also was much better.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #51
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstm2 View Post
I would say that the suspension is not plush on the X3MC. You def will feel the bumps on. It's not uncomfortable but it reminds me of the way my M2 rides which is not plush. One thing I forgot to check was the tire pressure, the dealer set it to 40psi and I think the manufacturer recommends 35 in the fronts and 38 in the rears. I'll have to dial it in and see if it makes a difference l.
Yikes. If it's m2 territory, I would be fine with it, but I wouldn't put my babies in this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #52
Mfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CS.....X3MC

The X3mc is not harsh or stiff, lifted m2 is a very accurate description. Porsche Gt3 is stiff, only a car on coil overs is more harsh. X3M is perfect the way it’s suspension behaves for an SUV. M division knocked it out the park handling wise on the X3M.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4733.00
ghstm268.50
      12-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #53
lcasale
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
So sorry been busy with work and a funeral. So it is a 2020 X3M comp Dark Graphite with Black/Midrange Beige/Alcantara and all options except M mobility and M drivers which would delete the sunroof and extend the build time 2 months. ALP is antilaser priority laser jammer and DSP radar detector. Car is getting prepped but here are the delivery pics and some install pics of the laser jammers going in. I plan on adding the M performance rear spoiler and the steering wheel with cf paddles but that is all for now. Also the winter M package tires as well.

Noushy
Have you gotten your ALP setup tested? While stealthy and clean looking, I think all 3 of your sensors are too low and the RX ones are too far apart.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #54
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasale View Post
Quote:
So sorry been busy with work and a funeral. So it is a 2020 X3M comp Dark Graphite with Black/Midrange Beige/Alcantara and all options except M mobility and M drivers which would delete the sunroof and extend the build time 2 months. ALP is antilaser priority laser jammer and DSP radar detector. Car is getting prepped but here are the delivery pics and some install pics of the laser jammers going in. I plan on adding the M performance rear spoiler and the steering wheel with cf paddles but that is all for now. Also the winter M package tires as well.

Noushy
Have you gotten your ALP setup tested? While stealthy and clean looking, I think all 3 of your sensors are too low and the RX ones are too far apart.
I had the ones on the x3m tested and they worked extremely well. The M8 had to lower the tx by 4 inches but remember the system works fine without the tx. My guess is it may not work quite as well but more than adequate. I have not brought the car home yet so no chance to get it tested. Will let you know but probably not till April or May.

Noushy
Appreciate 0