BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #89
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

Canada gets carbon fiber exterior package but US doesn't?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #90
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
You're welcome to come to New Jersey, where that GT example holds up quite well.
Sure, in regular traffic, I agree. I just think that you're not going to be slowed down by cobblestone in cars that don't even clear the pot holes.

You really think that on an more open (normal) road condition, you couldn't make up 2 minutes?

Like I said, I don't disagree with you when you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. But TGT is just fluff/entertainment.
My daily is a 335, so not a slow car by any means, yet I sit in the same RT 80 traffic as everyone else. If it were 2 AM - yes, you could make up the time, but that's not real world. 8:30 AM on a Monday is, and that means traffic, at least in my neck of the woods.
      03-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #91
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoB View Post
Canada gets carbon fiber exterior package but US doesn't?
The press release said it will come in August IIRC to the US (but not that confident). So the amended sheet will likely have it. If not it may be an M Performance Parts upgrade instead. But agreed, odd.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #92
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
IMO, there is no doubt the new M3 will cost more than the X3M.
Ready to order together?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #93
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Ready to order together?
With all the information that is out, I am thinking late 2019 early 2020. Where are you?

decisions, decisions... lol

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #94
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
With all the information that is out, I am thinking late 2019 early 2020. Where are you?

decisions, decisions... lol
Same lol
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      03-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #95
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't mean to make fun here at all. But I see everyone going bananas here for the moonroof delete option. Wut?
You're in an SUV. You don't notice it in an M3 if it has a moonroof, and you're sure as hell not going to notice it in these things. These are great trucks that handle well for what they are, but I can't imagine anyone tracking this, so really, get the roof folks.
Yeah... so, where to start...

You begin by making a disclaimer about not wishing 'to make fun here at all.' OK, we're listening. Then you proceed with comments, "in these things", and "these are great trucks"... And then topping it off with the usual and mundane, "I can't imagine anyone tracking this, so really, get the roof folks."

Probably not the ideal way to be taken seriously on the X3M/X4M Forum which is frequented by those interested in BMW's Performance Engineering, and how best to maximize such in the vehicles we drive, track or no track. Many of which are M2, M3, M4, and M5 Drivers.

Some estimated numbers:

Your M3: HP 425, roof width 42", roof length 60", roof surface area 2520 sq in, wt Al Roof 21.3 lbs, CFRP roof wt 8.7 lbs, ht 56.1", est CG 20.8", vehicle ht above CG 35.3", AL roof moment 62.5 ft-lbs, curb wt 3630, SSF 1.505, wt moon roof ~27.1 lbs, moon-roof moment 132.7 ft-lbs, Wt (lbs)/HP 8.5. (Rough numbers)

The X3M Comp: HP 503, roof width 44", roof length 80", roof surface area 3520 sq in, wt Al Roof 29.7 lbs, CFRP wt 12.1 lbs, ht 65.7", est CG 24.4", vehicle ht above CG 41.3", AL roof moment 102.3 ft-lbs, curb wt 4620, SSF 1.351, wt moon roof ~126.6 lbs, moon-roof moment 485.9 ft-lbs, Wt (lbs)/HP 9.2. (Rough numbers)

Not sure these numbers mean much to you, but they tell a very different story about the actual Physics involved, and how replacing the X3M's moon roof with even OEM Al makes a far greater composite difference to the handling and dynamics of the X3M Comp as it would to the smaller-roof'd, lower and wider slung M3 - quite counter to your generalizations. You can try to make the argument 'are you going to track it, if not then you won't notice a difference', but you do realize how hollow that sounds on a Forum filled with BMW Enthusiasts?
You know, they just did a test on the grand tour, with the Aston, Bentley and M850, against some ancient Renault that barely ran. The concept was simple - in real world conditions, those amazing cars were no faster that the old Renault because of traffic and pedestrians and lights, etc.

I mention that because no one ever NEEDS the speed. We want the speed. But how much speed do we need?

On a track, if you're a good driver, you may notice the weight difference slightly, and it MIGHT gain you a tenth of a second. But then, why buy a car that's so high off the ground, with so much space and a hatch. It seems silly to embrace the practicality of the car, then shun a feature based on weight reduction.

All your fancy calculations mean nothing to me because you're talking about how a car feels at the limit - which is very high in both my M3 and an X3M - and not how a car feels on a road, where these will live 99% of the time. And since a good driver in an X3 can beat a bad driver in an M3, that 50 pound difference just seems even more trivial.

And lastly, if you've driven An X5M on the track (I have at the performance center) you'd know they are absolutely amazing cars. But all the fancy electronics and wide tires cannot hide the fact that you are asking over 2 tones of metal to move around a track. Stepping firmly on the gas causes the nose to point to the sky.

Least you think I limit this criticism to X guys - I make fun of M3 guys too, when they say the car handles "so much better"
Lol bro. You are arguing with a bunch of bmw forum twats that think they are cool cause they tracked a X1. Let it go you'll never be able to be logical with them.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #96
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
IMO, there is no doubt the new M3 will cost more than the X3M.
By about how much you think?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #97
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Can anyone confirm I'm reading the guide correct and Drivers Assist Professional (with Traffic Jam Assist) is NOT available on the X3/4M's?

I'm only seeing 'Drivers Assist Plus', including 'ACC Stop&Go + Active Driving Assistant' and 'Extended Collission Mitigation'. On the new X5's that's the lower package, with "professional" giving the Traffic Jam Assist, which is an explicitly listed feature. Maybe I'm just missing it.

That's the dealbreaker for me if so. I know seems minute, but the household justification I'm playing on for my next SUV spending is 'it'll drive itself in traffic for me'.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #98
Autostrada66
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I have been a BMW owner since 2000 and have gone through many models over the years. Last year my wife and I were 99% sure we were going to buy an X3 for her.

My wife loves BMWs as well. We were going to order the X3 M40i. However, before we got to the BMW dealership, I decided to stop by Audi to check out the SQ5. We drove the SQ5 and loved everything about it. The Audi sales guy could not have been nicer and more willing to work with us on price. In fact, they offered us a deal that was better than I could have dared to ask for. Anything I threw at them, they said yes to. We still said no because we were sure we were going to get the X3.

We got to the BMW dealership and drove a new BMW X3 M40. The only good thing I could say about the X3 was that it had a great engine, but so did the Audi with comparable power with the Audi having slightly worse acceleration due to the way Audi programs the ZF transmission. It didn't take more than a minute into the test drive that both my wife and I were 100% sure that we were going back to get the Audi SQ5. Everything about the Audi was a class above the BMW. The fit and finish don't even compare. The suspension was like crap in the X3 compared to the Audi. The X3 had an absolutely horrible suspension that made the car hop and feel every imperfection in the road. I discovered that the X3 drives like crap unless you have the optional adaptive dampers.

A year later, I can tell you all that the Audi was a grand slam. Maybe the X3 is more sporty, but once we drove them both, the Audi was way way better. It drove better. It sounded better. It looked better. It had way better fit and finish and materials. I say this as an M2 owner and soon to be M2 comp owner. I am as biased towards BMW as you can be. I would never pay what they are asking for the X3M. I would much rather look at a comparably priced X5. So, my only advice is to check out the competition as you may be blown away at how much better they can be.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #99
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostrada66 View Post
I have been a BMW owner since 2000 and have gone through many models over the years. Last year my wife and I were 99% sure we were going to buy an X3 for her.

My wife loves BMWs as well. We were going to order the X3 M40i. However, before we got to the BMW dealership, I decided to stop by Audi to check out the SQ5. We drove the SQ5 and loved everything about it. The Audi sales guy could not have been nicer and more willing to work with us on price. In fact, they offered us a deal that was better than I could have dared to ask for. Anything I threw at them, they said yes to. We still said no because we were sure we were going to get the X3.

We got to the BMW dealership and drove a new BMW X3 M40. The only good thing I could say about the X3 was that it had a great engine, but so did the Audi with comparable power with the Audi having slightly worse acceleration due to the way Audi programs the ZF transmission. It didn't take more than a minute into the test drive that both my wife and I were 100% sure that we were going back to get the Audi SQ5. Everything about the Audi was a class above the BMW. The fit and finish don't even compare. The suspension was like crap in the X3 compared to the Audi. The X3 had an absolutely horrible suspension that made the car hop and feel every imperfection in the road. I discovered that the X3 drives like crap unless you have the optional adaptive dampers.

A year later, I can tell you all that the Audi was a grand slam. Maybe the X3 is more sporty, but once we drove them both, the Audi was way way better. It drove better. It sounded better. It looked better. It had way better fit and finish and materials. I say this as an M2 owner and soon to be M2 comp owner. I am as biased towards BMW as you can be. I would never pay what they are asking for the X3M. I would much rather look at a comparably priced X5. So, my only advice is to check out the competition as you may be blown away at how much better they can be.
I have an M3 and '18 SQ5 and I'm looking forward to Audi lease running out. The X3M will replace the M3 and the SQ5 will get downgraded to a smaller vehicle for the wife next year.

The Audi looks and feels great but does not drive well. Numb steering is such a huge understatement. Throttle, turbo, and transmission mapping are a joke. It's sad that short test drives don't always elucidate these things. The high point though is the sport air suspension could not possibly be any better. It's the most comfortable suspension I've ever experienced while still being very sporty.

I cross shopped both the M40i and SQ5 but the bimmer wasn't available for test drives yet and the Audi leased for $100/mo cheaper so went that direction. Different strokes for different folks ya know as I'm excited to have a full M version of a mid size SUV and likely won't look back at the Audi.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #100
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Can anyone confirm I'm reading the guide correct and Drivers Assist Professional (with Traffic Jam Assist) is NOT available on the X3/4M's?

I'm only seeing 'Drivers Assist Plus', including 'ACC Stop&Go + Active Driving Assistant' and 'Extended Collission Mitigation'. On the new X5's that's the lower package, with "professional" giving the Traffic Jam Assist, which is an explicitly listed feature. Maybe I'm just missing it.

That's the dealbreaker for me if so. I know seems minute, but the household justification I'm playing on for my next SUV spending is 'it'll drive itself in traffic for me'.
Isn't that an ID7 feature? If so maybe as of August? But not sure.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #101
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostrada66 View Post

glad u like ur SQ5. enjoy ur VW and fake exhaust tips
      03-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #102
RaslDasl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
X3M? it must be the bright reflective surface that causes issues. ACC is offered but not with Sunstone. The X3M doesn't look aggressive enough despite most likely being very quick
Corrected. 2 months ago my dealer got stuck with a X5 Sunstone that a customer ordered that had no idea it didn’t have ACC. I actually brought it up to my dealers attention when they mentioned they had this one coming in. They looked puzzled and had to tell the customer that ordered it. The customer refused it.
Reflections off the hood messing up cameras behind the windshield? That's pretty nuts.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:26 AM   #103
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have a pic of the X3M with the stock 20 inch wheels? It seems all of the pics I have found so far are showing the 21 inch wheels.

In looking at the order guide, they list the stock wheels as a 20 inch double-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheel, style 764M. It kind of looks somewhat like a larger version of the stock 19 inch X3 M40i wheel.... Not nearly as sexy as the M40i's 20 inch wheel, nor the 21 inch ones from the M40i or X3M.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #104
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
By about how much you think?
Notice the date of this post. A good price comparison is the X3 M40i and the M340i. Numbers may be a bit low when the G80 finally comes to market.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=84

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #105
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have a pic of the X3M with the stock 20 inch wheels? It seems all of the pics I have found so far are showing the 21 inch wheels.

In looking at the order guide, they list the stock wheels as a 20 inch double-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheel, style 764M. It kind of looks somewhat like a larger version of the stock 19 inch X3 M40i wheel.... Not nearly as sexy as the M40i's 20 inch wheel, nor the 21 inch ones from the M40i or X3M.
Here's my build with 20" wheels
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #106
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
I still take issue with a 6 foot tall, 4000lbs "Motorsport" vehicle. All the SUVs should have kept the IS tag like the x5 4.8IS back in the day. I can't get by the branding; it leans towards accountants trying to cash in the credit from previous management and engineers that made something special. They may well be good vehicles, but the drive to put as many m badges on anything as possible is killing me and hint towards no real value anymore. Bmw is even going to start making vehicles with Benz too... all is lost.
Like it or not, this ship has sailed a long time ago. For those that feel this negative about how a company markets or produces their products...it's time to pick up your chips and move on. Besides, have you seen the new Porsche Cayenne Coupe? How about some of the other high-performance SUV/SAV models from other companies? Times have changed. They will change again.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      03-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #107
Frank_NJ
///M Specialist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E52 Z8, G83 M4Cx

I went with the following

X3 M Competition

Donington Grey
Full Leather Merino/Alcantara
Driver Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Ventilated Seats

MSRP $84,395
Purchase $75,600

G83 M4CV, F80 M3 CS, E30 M3, Z8, other various BMW's
Ferrari F8
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #108
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NJ View Post
I went with the following

X3 M Competition

Donington Grey
Full Leather Merino/Alcantara
Driver Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Ventilated Seats

MSRP $84,395
Purchase $75,600
Just like that 10% off? Please explain the magic method!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #109
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
here you go, on the german motor-talk.de there are 2 pics of the X4MC in white with the 20" wheels. Just those are all black. but it gives you an idea.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/echt...13.html?page=1 you just need to scroll to the bottom of the page.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #110
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Thanks to kpzzi and SANK_CH