BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #23
TheMooseMan
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

Sorry to bump the topic, but I've just taken delivery of a 2019 30i and was really concerned about the issues of random trunk openings.
I noticed my fob is not sensitive (not even close to what people have been reporting here with older builds), I need to put some pressure on the buttons for them to work. I kept the fob on my jeans pockets for a while to check if the trunk could open due to pressure on the fob buttons and didn't see it happen a single time (thank god!).

I guess BMW made some changes to the fob, maybe changed something on the trunk door controller too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #24
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooseMan View Post
Sorry to bump the topic, but I've just taken delivery of a 2019 30i and was really concerned about the issues of random trunk openings.
I noticed my fob is not sensitive (not even close to what people have been reporting here with older builds), I need to put some pressure on the buttons for them to work. I kept the fob on my jeans pockets for a while to check if the trunk could open due to pressure on the fob buttons and didn't see it happen a single time (thank god!).

I guess BMW made some changes to the fob, maybe changed something on the trunk door controller too.
My suggestion is to get key fob protector to add an extra layer of protection against accidental button pressing. I use them and will never consider taking them off.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

It's happened to me a couple of times now so I've ordered a key fob case, this rather fancy looking one:

https://www.amazon.com/Uxinuo-Protec...key&sr=8-5
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 04:05 AM   #26
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

get it coded so that the trunk only opens when you unlock your car first.
      02-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooseMan View Post

I don't think they made any changes to the fob, I just think some people are more prone to the issue. I have never experienced the problem in my 2019 with the bare fob in my pockets. Know someone at work with a 2018 x30i and they've never had the problem either. Only two data points, but it suggests to me that some people unknowingly trigger the fob buttons in their pockets/purses and some people don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #28
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Key fob cover is the 'key' to solve just about all phantom trunk opening problems...
This can't be solved with a key fob cover. See this video:

https://youtu.be/sbHDwudL8so
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #29
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I don't think they made any changes to the fob, I just think some people are more prone to the issue. I have never experienced the problem in my 2019 with the bare fob in my pockets. Know someone at work with a 2018 x30i and they've never had the problem either. Only two data points, but it suggests to me that some people unknowingly trigger the fob buttons in their pockets/purses and some people don't.
Does this video convince you otherwise?

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #30
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuarts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Key fob cover is the 'key' to solve just about all phantom trunk opening problems...
This can't be solved with a key fob cover. See this video:

LOL - without specifically commenting to your experience; there are two known causes i've read in this forum - erroneous button pressing (which can be prevented by key fob cover), and faulty or over-sensitive sensors controlling the kick-to-open trunk, which cannot be fixed by key fob cover.

i would encourage you to redo the experiment by NOT having the key fob close by, since this should deactivate the comfort access if the sensor is the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #31
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
This is what solved mine. I still had the problem with the fob cover on. When I had the serious damage the trunk had opened when the key was sitting on my kitchen counter.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #32
FreeMarcal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Jeep JLU / 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Do you know exactly what I would say to my dealer (code, ID, ect) to get this done?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #33
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

My wife just picked up a 2019 X2 today and interestingly the setting to open trunk only when unlocked is a standard option in iDrive now.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #34
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuarts View Post
Does this video convince you otherwise?

That's an entirely different problem. I was referring to the problem some people have with the fob buttons being accidentally pressed. Completely different issue from that video, that's either the kick sensor or another gremlin.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #35
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Only if your build date is 2018-03 somewhere or later, or if you had BMW replace them for you.

/n
Correct. Cars built before March 2018 can have have replacement keys with the deactivating sensor.

After two visits and a number of blank looks, finally got my local dealer to delve a bit further into the retro mod via their Master Technician.

Car will be done in 2 weeks time, may ask about the boot release as they have some re-programming for the new keys.

If in doubt whether you have the key fob that deactivates, see pic.

Keyfobs with ref ID2A do not have deactivation after 2 mins, fobs with ID21A are fitted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MechX3M40i1006.00
gooddog34.50
      02-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #36
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

I haven't had an issue with mine.. Only time my boot was open was when I had a cargo mat block the closure of the trunk. My X3 I picked up last December.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #37
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Without reading this entire thread, once we got the key fob covers, maybe 8 - 10 months ago, it never happened again.
      02-17-2019, 02:33 AM   #38
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarcal View Post
Quote:
Do you know exactly what I would say to my dealer (code, ID, ect) to get this done?
I don't know their lingo, but with esys software, it's about adding HO wort OENE to the FA, and then code BDC_BODY.
      02-17-2019, 03:54 AM   #39
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
My wife just picked up a 2019 X2 today and interestingly the setting to open trunk only when unlocked is a standard option in iDrive now.
Doesnt this defeat the object of having the kick option, you may as well just press the boot open button which is what I do, I dont have the kick option, dont really see the point if you have a button on your keyfob to do it
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #40
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
Doesnt this defeat the object of having the kick option, you may as well just press the boot open button which is what I do, I dont have the kick option, dont really see the point if you have a button on your keyfob to do it
I thought the unlock-before-opening only was intended for the unlock button on the fob. But I can be wrong.
      02-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #41
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I'll just add that when I took my 2019 X3 in for this issue, they very quickly diagnosed it as an over-sensitive kick sensor (referencing it in a way that seemed it was a known problem) and replaced the kick sensor electronics module behind the bumper.

Since then, I have not had a random opening event.

It leads me to believe (quite scarily) that all my random opening incidents occurred as I was walking away from the vehicle while the key was still 'in range' (like the guy in the video) and my trunk has remained open until I notice it upon returning to the vehicle. The only time I noticed it in the moment was the time it made a noise by hitting the wall!
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #42
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
I'll just add that when I took my 2019 X3 in for this issue, they very quickly diagnosed it as an over-sensitive kick sensor (referencing it in a way that seemed it was a known problem) and replaced the kick sensor electronics module behind the bumper.

Since then, I have not had a random opening event.

It leads me to believe (quite scarily) that all my random opening incidents occurred as I was walking away from the vehicle while the key was still 'in range' (like the guy in the video) and my trunk has remained open until I notice it upon returning to the vehicle. The only time I noticed it in the moment was the time it made a noise by hitting the wall!
Glad to hear that your problem had been resolved. I would highly recommend a key fob protector in case you have not bought one already.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #43
X3 AMK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) 20DMsport

This happened to me yesterday- went out on the morning to find the boot open. I don't have comfort access so must have been spurious button press on the remote. Had the same problem with my previous X1.
The key fob is very poorly designed. In my opinion the boot open button is unnecessary unless you want to impress your friends. I'm going to try and get it disabled by the dealer as it's a completely cr@p feature. Other than that I'm loving the car!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #44
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarcal View Post
Say exactly that - "Code my key so that the trunk only opens if the car is unlocked"