BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGUY View Post
I have an S8 with smooth Otter case. It slides off the sweet spot very easily. Any ideas to keep the phone in place?
a thin rubber or silicone mat that give you the drag, but don't increase the distance much from the charging pad to your phones since you already use a phone case?

a good place to start is mat for cup holders. you can also find it here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNYYLSB...sms_tai_yArgCb
Something like this may be better. I'm going to measure the car's wireless charger to get a right fit and try one out. I always get the annoying orange light but keeping my phone in place hopefully helps? If not, to the dealership and cross my fingers they know how to fix ugh

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW9P1GC..._y1qlCbWFA04K4
      01-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #46
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I made a template to keep my iPhone Xs in place. It works well and also keeps my display key in place when it is charging.
I cut up a mouse pad😁
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #47
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I made a template to keep my iPhone Xs in place. It works well and also keeps my display key in place when it is charging.
I cut up a mouse pad😁
I like your idea. Simple and effective.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #48
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cut up a mouse pad😁
Awesome idea!
      01-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #49
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Wouldn't a nonslip phone pad be easier and work better? Like one of these?: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+phone+car+pad
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #50
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Wouldn't a nonslip phone pad be easier and work better? Like one of these?: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+phone+car+pad
Yea I mentioned a few posts above. I haven't gotten around to measuring the charger so that I can buy something that would be a close fit
      01-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #51
SDGUY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Quote:
I cut up a mouse pad😁
That is brilliant. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:08 AM   #52
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235hou View Post
Yea I mentioned a few posts above. I haven't gotten around to measuring the charger so that I can buy something that would be a close fit
If you can't find a close fit, I'd suggest taking a box cutter and trimming one to size.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #53
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m235hou View Post
Quote:
If it is not too thick combined with the thickness of your phone cover, it should work.
The distance between the phone and charge pad can diminish change rate.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:44 AM   #54
DHA-uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Not a problem with the actual charging, but does anyone else see the charge pad get very hot whilst charging? Way more so than my wireless charger at home, the phone was pretty hot too and I think it stopped charging due to the heat. It was sat on it for an hour when I was stuck in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #55
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHA-uk View Post
Not a problem with the actual charging, but does anyone else see the charge pad get very hot whilst charging? Way more so than my wireless charger at home, the phone was pretty hot too and I think it stopped charging due to the heat. It was sat on it for an hour when I was stuck in traffic.
Yes I was sharing its Internet, and charging for about 2h on a trip, and phone turned off itself due to heat. With an error message saying that..
Now I have a Brodit proclip, and charging 2.1A through the built-in USB instead, and let the display key charge on the pad.
      02-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #56
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I’ve only had my X3 since Thursday night but so far I’ve experienced no issues with the wireless charging. I’m using an iPhone XS Max with an Apple leather case on it. The leather case seems to do a good job of keeping the phone in place on the charging mat. It does get fairly warm though.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #57
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Thought I would throw some gas on the fire.

Got x4 (g02.) in October. About a week ago the charging pad has stopped doing its job. The light will turn blue briefly before changing orange.

iPhone XS Max. No case

Before someone mentions that the phone is sliding or in the wrong position , I can sit with the car in drive and the light goes orange after 1-2 seconds. It is not a phone sliding out of place issue,
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:27 AM   #58
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post

Got x4 (g02.) in October. About a week ago the charging pad has stopped doing its job. The light will turn blue briefly before changing orange.

iPhone XS Max. No case

Before someone mentions that the phone is sliding or in the wrong position , I can sit with the car in drive and the light goes orange after 1-2 seconds. It is not a phone sliding out of place issue,
Welcome to the club!
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #59
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Welcome to the club!
Wasn't it concluded that there was a bad batch of wireless charging pads?

I.e. try other Qi-compatible devices on it, and try your phone on other Qi-compatible wireless chargers (IKEA got some very cheap ones that works just fine. Some integrated to furniture...)

BMW should replace on warranty ..

/n
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #60
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post

I.e. try other Qi-compatible devices on it, and try your phone on other Qi-compatible wireless chargers (IKEA got some very cheap ones that works just fine. Some integrated to furniture...)

/n
I keep calling my local dealer and checking, but the part is still on engineering hold apparently. So at the moment i'm using a USB charger in the cigar lighter socket and a 20cm lightning cable.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #61
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post

iPhone XS Max. No case

Definitely sounds like a issue with your pad, they should fix under warranty

I have a XS Max with no case and have no problems (yet!) and haven't noticed it getting hot

When I first got this phone I would get a orange light when phone moved back, the camera lens would sit on the lip at back and I assume raise the phone up slightly, since then I just get in the habit of putting the phone the other way round with lens towards front and no longer have issue even if phone moves back, I appreciate this is not the problem you are having
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #62
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
(For emphasis, the information below applies to Apple devices. I know nothing about Android.)

It's my understanding that iPhones treat the BMW wireless charger as a lowly 5W one. The older iPhone X, for example, could only use standard Qi chargers at 5W, and charging at 7.5W requires special Apple wireless chargers (or something). I don't know how true this is, but someone said that the iPhone Xs can charge at 10W. If so, that's still slower than a good wired charger.

So, wireless charging is great for convenience, but sucks for charge time and battery longevity (wireless charging causes the iPhone to get fairly hot, and heat reduces the overall battery lifetime). Personally, I use wired charging for the speed and lower temperatures.

Side note: the built-in BMW USB ports -- as well the "cigarette lighter USB charger" adapter sold by BMW -- are treated as sucky 5W chargers by Apple devices. They'll charge your iPhones really slowly. If you want the best Apple charging speed, you have to get something like this.
Not exactly true. Adding to the other correction posted below...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208078

Wireless charging uses magnetic induction to charge your iPhone. Don't place anything between your iPhone and the charger. Magnetic mounts, magnetic cases, or other objects between your iPhone and the charger might reduce performance or damage magnetic strips or RFID chips like those found in some credit cards, security badges, passports, and key fobs. If your case holds any of these sensitive items, remove them before charging or make sure that they aren’t between the back of your iPhone and the charger.

If your iPhone isn't charging or is charging slowly and your iPhone has a thick case, metal case, or battery case, try removing the case.

If your iPhone vibrates—when it gets a notification, for example—your iPhone might shift position. This can cause the charging mat to stop providing power to your iPhone. If this happens often, consider turning off vibration, turning on Do Not Disturb, or using a case to prevent movement.

Depending on the charging mat you have, you might hear faint noises while your iPhone charges.

Your iPhone might get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 percent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.

Your iPhone won't charge wirelessly when connected to USB. If your iPhone is connected to your computer with USB, or if it's connected to a USB power adapter, your iPhone will charge using the USB connection.

Fast wired charging...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

The faster wired/wireless charging is limited by what the chargers can provide. The iPhones currently support up to 7.5W and future Qi standards and software updates may bring this to 15W.

It is not that the "adapter sold by BMW -- are treated as sucky 5W chargers by Apple devices" It's that they are 5W chargers. Not all car adapters are created equal or capable of supporting faster charging. Newer BMW adapters can but still slower than some third parties, e.g. Anker and Mophie.

The bottom three are newer BMW adapters and some have a higher output.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_1511

For example, this new Mophie wireless car charger comes w/ and requires a newer car adapter that they do not sell separately, yet.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/docks/cha...eam-vent-mount

Meaning even their previous 2.4 A car adapter will not work w/newer wireless charger above. Faster Qi wireless chargers have even higher adapter requirements.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/cables-ad...r-charger-usba

Really, need to read the fine print and make sure the proper wall/car adapter is used with the proper wired/wireless chargers.

Last edited by omasou; 02-05-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
strike4A513.00
      02-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #63
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post

/n
I keep calling my local dealer and checking, but the part is still on engineering hold apparently. So at the moment i'm using a USB charger in the cigar lighter socket and a 20cm lightning cable.
Thanks for the tip. Going to bug the dealer where I purchased versus bothering my cool local service guy on this one probably.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:22 AM   #64
Hairysteve
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, F40 135i

Garage List
On a 2 hour drive last week the iPhone X overheated while being on the charger. Have checked a few times since and the phone gets hot quick while on the charge pad. Anyone else experienced this? Other than that it works well.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #65
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

iPhone 8 here. It's been fine really. I can see it can slip around on the pad a little and cause the blue light it go out. Might need a bigger and heavier phone
      02-13-2019, 02:06 AM   #66
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairysteve View Post
On a 2 hour drive last week the iPhone X overheated while being on the charger. Have checked a few times since and the phone gets hot quick while on the charge pad. Anyone else experienced this? Other than that it works well.
To my knowledge, this is pretty normal. My car does it too with my iPhone XS Max. The truth is that all inductive charging generates a lot of heat, whether in a BMW or a home charging pad. But inside a car, you might also have the heater on, and you might also be asking your phone to work hard (by running a navigation app).

In my particular instance, my phone gets pretty hot, but doesn’t overheat. However I never use GPS apps on it, I much prefer iDrive (and only because I love the HUD, which doesn’t support navigation apps on your phone.) I only use it for music which generates a lot less heat than a navigation app. Also your case might be making it hotter.

tl;dr - you have too many heat producing factors right now. try to lose one or two and I bet your problem will go away.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019146.00