BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Run Flat tyre repair or replace question

In April I had four new Pirelli PZero run flats on my X3 M Sport

Today I found the head of a nail near the centre of the near side front tyre but in deep tread. I removed it and unfortunately it was relatively long and sharp. The tyre hasn't deflated (I checked the pressure) but I can see pin prick bubbles coming out very slowly if I hold a cup of water side on to the hole

So I need to do something. I'm under the impression I can't get Pirelli run flats repaired but please let me know. The sidewall hasn't been compromised. No noticeable deflation or tyre pressure warning as yet

If the view is that I cannot, then do I realistically need to change both front tyres regardless because of the 4x4 and rolling tyre circumference?

The tyres have had about 3K of wear in the 4 months since new

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

If you can convince the tyre repairer that you have not driven on it whilst it was deflated, then most will repair it, even if it is Pirelli. I would suggest you get it to a dealer in the boot of another car if you can.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
If you can convince the tyre repairer that you have not driven on it whilst it was deflated, then most will repair it, even if it is Pirelli. I would suggest you get it to a dealer in the boot of another car if you can.
Thanks. I'll have to drive it as I have no spare wheel but there's an ATS tyre place near to me

Assuming there's no deflation and the TPMS doesn't come on (indicating low pressure) then do you think a tyre repair is advisable not withstanding it's much cheaper?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy View Post
Thanks. I'll have to drive it as I have no spare wheel but there's an ATS tyre place near to me

Assuming there's no deflation and the TPMS doesn't come on (indicating low pressure) then do you think a tyre repair is advisable not withstanding it's much cheaper?
Taking into account what you said, I think you will be fine with a repair. Some tyre manufacturers say it is OK, some say not. Then it is up to the repair centre.
The one thing you have to do is convince the repairer that you did NOT drive on it when it was deflated. That is why I said take it off the car and get it to a repairer to have it repaired, saying you noticed it whilst it was on the drive and it had not deflated and you had not driven on it. Once you drive it there, they could say you inflated it before going to them and there is a possibility of internal tyre wall damage.

Best to ring around locally and get an opinion before going anywhere, saying you have just pulled the offending article from the tyre whilst it is parked on your drive.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just for the record, here's a couple of photos of the tyre and puncture. The fluorescent colour is a liquid marker I used to indicate the hole (for my own purpose) but it also allowed my to detect air escaping

Just checked this morning and no noticeable loss of pressure. Put some extra air in the tyre and there are some small bubbles appearing slowly, so obviously confirms a small puncture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:36 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Can you repair runflat tyres?
Are you aware of this?
ATS Euromaster strives to repair runflat tyres whenever possible without comprising your safety, by carefully assessing individual tyres for problems caused by damage and age. Unfortunately, not all runflat tyres are repairable as damage on the reinforced sidewalls can be concealed and as such, a decision about repairing or replacing runflat tyres will be made by our qualified and experienced technicians.
https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/cons...uncture-repair

and......

https://www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-ty...un-flat-tyres/
You should have a read of the section called..
Official advice on run flat tyre repair
If you experience a puncture call our National Sales Team on 0800 028 9000 . Visit our puncture repairs section for further information.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:37 AM   #7
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Currently at ATS. They said no problem, so fingers crossed it will be a good repair

Someone has said this elsewhere but there's probably as much risk in having one new tyre on a car that has three other tyres that have all worn together compared to having one of them repaired. Due to behaviour etc in wet and differences in rolling circumference

In my case I'm not sure this "risk" would be a problem due to the tyres only having 3K of wear but I think a low cost repair is easier and obviously cheaper

If I'd driven on a deflated tyre and the warning TPMS had gone off, I'd probably feel differently
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #8
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

I was at my BMW dealer in January as I had a drive train message come up (ended up being a setting on an emission sensor), whilst they had it they gave my car a complementary health check and advised that I had a screw in one of the rear tyres. Before they even asked if I wanted it replacing they were quoting me nearly £300 to replace and I said not to. I kept a tyre inflator in the boot but never had any drop in pressure and eventually the screw had come out. Two months later it was in for service with the same dealer and the health check came up clear. I wonder if I had accepted the replacement cost would they have pulled the screw out first to see if the tyre was okay or grab my money?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
sgt3966
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 & 2016 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
I was at my BMW dealer in January as I had a drive train message come up (ended up being a setting on an emission sensor), whilst they had it they gave my car a complementary health check and advised that I had a screw in one of the rear tyres. Before they even asked if I wanted it replacing they were quoting me nearly £300 to replace and I said not to. I kept a tyre inflator in the boot but never had any drop in pressure and eventually the screw had come out. Two months later it was in for service with the same dealer and the health check came up clear. I wonder if I had accepted the replacement cost would they have pulled the screw out first to see if the tyre was okay or grab my money?
I believe a reputable Dealer would have pulled it out to see if it leaked before they tried to sell you a new tire. Mine did just that.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just an update. The repair seems fine and only cost £20. I understand the risk based approach to recommending a new tyre but in reality if it's never deflated, it can't have compromised the tyre wall and is therefore a normal British Standard approved repair, which I've done many times on non run flats
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy View Post
Just an update. The repair seems fine and only cost £20. I understand the risk based approach to recommending a new tyre but in reality if it's never deflated, it can't have compromised the tyre wall and is therefore a normal British Standard approved repair, which I've done many times on non run flats
Good result. That is what would have done in the same situation.
Appreciate 1