BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw f10 535xi

Hello all, I have a 2020 X3m and I did a secondary cat and resonator delete. It was all fine and sounded amazing until now. It has a very very loud rasp and vibration sound. From like 1-2k rpm it'll have it and then if I hit the gas and let go at like 5-7 rpm it's insanely raspy and I feel like it has a vibration tone to it. Even when I start it now, cold start it has that sound. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what I can do to fix this, thank you!

11-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonBabaev View Post
Hello all, I have a 2020 X3m and I did a secondary cat and resonator delete. It was all fine and sounded amazing until now. It has a very very loud rasp and vibration sound. From like 1-2k rpm it'll have it and then if I hit the gas and let go at like 5-7 rpm it's insanely raspy and I feel like it has a vibration tone to it. Even when I start it now, cold start it has that sound. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what I can do to fix this, thank you!
looks like exhaust valve is rattling. it should be some post regarding this and it is some repair kit should be for sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
Quote:
looks like exhaust valve is rattling. it should be some post regarding this and it is some repair kit should be for sale.
It will make that much noise ? If the exhaust valve is damaged.
      11-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Lol. Really? What can you do to fix it? Reinstall the cats and resonator... Duh
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Quote:
Didn't happen after I did it. Happened about a month and a half after.
      11-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I stand my my suggestion. Comedy.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
tnd720
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

Forgive my ignorance of the current bmw car scene, but why did you do a cat delete and a resonator delete on an x3m?

The car sounds great as is, this almost reminds me of when the n54 became cheap enough that civic owners started buying them up and clapping them out. Sorry.
Appreciate 1
forza19763398.00
      11-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnd720 View Post
Forgive my ignorance of the current bmw car scene, but why did you do a cat delete and a resonator delete on an x3m?

The car sounds great as is, this almost reminds me of when the n54 became cheap enough that civic owners started buying them up and clapping them out. Sorry.
Lol I did it because it was just to quiet for me. Just self preference and I love how it sounds.
      11-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnd720 View Post

because it adds power and increases the sound volume.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
"Unlocks" power that is already there. A tune "adds" power ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
it adds power at the wheels (whp), so I was correct
Appreciate 1
forza19763398.00
      11-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #12
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
it adds power the wheels (whp), so I was correct
Partially. Hahahahaha.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      11-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #13
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Alon, did you pull out the ASD?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #14
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
Quote:
It will make that much noise ? If the exhaust valve is damaged.
post the video here otherwise its just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:33 AM   #15
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Alon, did you pull out the ASD?
Nope I haven't
      11-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #16
sneesh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M BMW M340I

could you post a video of how it sounds I have the non comp and honestly I don't think its loud enough and i might do what you did and also its just guess if you don't show us what the rattling sounds like
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneesh View Post
could you post a video of how it sounds I have the non comp and honestly I don't think its loud enough and i might do what you did and also its just guess if you don't show us what the rattling sounds like

11-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #18
sneesh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M BMW M340I

Quote:
Quote:

it might be either the muffler or the valves but if it happened like a month after it could be a broken weld or it might be something goofy in the muffler or it could be the valves cause when i cold start it i get the same rattling noise as yours does

so yeah those are the three main things i'd check for idk how you could check for it it you could probably bring it to a shop or a dealer but idk if they'll take a look at it

all in all sounds great do you have the non comp as well? i should be getting that done after break in which is like a week from now i'll come back and let you know if mines the same
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #19
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it might be either the muffler or the valves but if it happened like a month after it could be a broken weld or it might be something goofy in the muffler or it could be the valves cause when i cold start it i get the same rattling noise as yours does

so yeah those are the three main things i'd check for idk how you could check for it it you could probably bring it to a shop or a dealer but idk if they'll take a look at it

all in all sounds great do you have the non comp as well? i should be getting that done after break in which is like a week from now i'll come back and let you know if mines the same
I have a non comp and it sounds killer. It's perfect. Just this problem is the really upsetting thing. Ive reached out to many people and they said there's either a leak or it's your valve that's been broken. I called my service advisor and he said to get the welding checked on and make sure there isn't any leaks, and if that's not the issue then he said to bring the car in so his mechanics can look at it
      11-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
hxr
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M

Mine used to sound like that. Was like a giant wasp SO Embarassing driving at full throttle with that rasp.
Had decatted downpipes, secondary decat and opf delete, res and backbox mod.

I did the custom single mid pipe mod but kept the resonator and this completely eliminated my rasp. Fell in love with the car again

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1775575
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #21
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have a non comp and it sounds killer. It's perfect. Just this problem is the really upsetting thing. Ive reached out to many people and they said there's either a leak or it's your valve that's been broken. I called my service advisor and he said to get the welding checked on and make sure there isn't any leaks, and if that's not the issue then he said to bring the car in so his mechanics can look at it
You have the stock downpipes, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You have the stock downpipes, right?
Yes I do. Primary cats are stock and secondary cats are deleted.