BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2023, 03:41 PM   #353
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangd1909 View Post
For the ones that used self tapping screws for install, any problems with the lip coming loose? I just received my Maxton and going to install this weekend....just want to make sure the self tapping screws are still good to go.

Just fitted one last week: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...81074&page=327

See posts: #7181 and #7187
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2023, 09:12 AM   #354
stangd1909
GO NOLES!
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
Just fitted one last week: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...81074&page=327

See posts: #7181 and #7187
Thanks! Did you pre drill your holes or just secure it with the tape first then use the screws.?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #355
ContactPatch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangd1909 View Post
Thanks! Did you pre drill your holes or just secure it with the tape first then use the screws.?

Yes, secured it with the tape and got it aligned, and then used the screws for additional strength.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #356
328skidpad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi e350 Z4M X3 M40

Maxton design front lip ordered.USA

I live in NJ an ordered mine last week and it came within 5 days. It is covered in plastic wrap and was all scraped up but when I removed the wrap it was brand new with no scratches.
here is the US info if needed.

I used this 10% discount dont know if it still works.
Discount MEMORIAL23

If you have any questions, reply to this email or contact us at info@maxtondesignusa.us
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      06-04-2023, 11:25 AM   #357
ContactPatch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328skidpad View Post
I live in NJ an ordered mine last week and it came within 5 days. It is covered in plastic wrap and was all scraped up but when I removed the wrap it was brand new with no scratches.
here is the US info if needed.

I used this 10% discount dont know if it still works.
Discount MEMORIAL23

If you have any questions, reply to this email or contact us at info@maxtondesignusa.us

Same here, when I unboxed the splitter it looked like it had 140,000 miles on it, then I noticed the plastic wrap.

Interesting tidbit about the Maxton Splitter: If you go into a dark garage with about a 500 lumen LED light you will find the spoiler is really dark brown in color when you shine the light on it from 4 to 5 inches. The black OEM BMW trim does not do this, it's jet black.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 01:03 PM   #358
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i - F48 x20i - E39 M5

Is there reason why some of you guys use self tapping screws instead bolt and nut?
Cannot figure out how self tapping would be better... also if you once remove the lip, you cannot use same holes.
When installed mine, bolt and nut was only option. Those cannot get loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:46 PM   #359
dfalcon217
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 G20, 21 G01

I’ve had my X3 M40I about a week now with parts boxes collecting in the garage. I don’t know what I was more excited about. The Maxton body trim or the VRSF DP and MST intake. I managed to get everything installed. I used a low profile floor Jack with a disc golf disc on the lift cup to support the lip in place while I installed all the screws. I also used Loctite clear construction glue to help adjust fitment while attached to the car. In the last week I’ve also had the tail lights and front/rear reflectors smoked. Glass tinted. Factory wheels powder coated. Been a busy week

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 4
prototyp228.00
Rottweiler3981.50
Artdnj394.00
nyalpine907433.00
      10-01-2023, 11:39 PM   #360
bowle
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

I installed mine this weekend. Used 3M tape with the plastic wrap still attached to temporarily attach to the bumper to pre-drill holes. Then I removed the 3M and plastic, dropped a few bead lines of Tiger Seal and lined up the screws into the pre-drilled holes. It worked perfectly and didn’t need a second hand to do this.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      10-02-2023, 12:15 AM   #361
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40I  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowle View Post
I installed mine this weekend. Used 3M tape with the plastic wrap still attached to temporarily attach to the bumper to pre-drill holes. Then I removed the 3M and plastic, dropped a few bead lines of Tiger Seal and lined up the screws into the pre-drilled holes. It worked perfectly and didn’t need a second hand to do this.
You’re a better man than I

I was cursing my head off while installing mine solo

Neighbors got an absolute earful
Appreciate 3
bowle5.00
Artdnj394.00
      10-02-2023, 10:05 AM   #362
wlfpck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman_fin View Post
Is there reason why some of you guys use self tapping screws instead bolt and nut?
Cannot figure out how self tapping would be better... also if you once remove the lip, you cannot use same holes.
When installed mine, bolt and nut was only option. Those cannot get loose.
Would Rivnuts be an option? Not sure how well they work with plastic bumper covers.
      11-10-2023, 06:12 PM   #363
das boots
Senior Chief (Ret.)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 M3, '05 ZHP, '24 X4 M401

Reviving a very old thread.

Finally saw this. Wondering if we could also use the nylon expanding rivets.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 07:44 PM   #364
Kevnixon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M-Sport 3.0d

Anyone got any pics of the maxton rear spoiler cap/extension
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:37 PM   #365
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drill holes

I have the front splitter but haven't installed yet. Where do you drill through the splitter in the middle section? It's a 2 layer design so not sure where to drill.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:36 PM   #366
ContactPatch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
I have the front splitter but haven't installed yet. Where do you drill through the splitter in the middle section? It's a 2 layer design so not sure where to drill.

You use double sided VHB tape in that area and keep all the screws in the single layer of the splitter or towards the rear of the splitter if facing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:38 PM   #367
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
You use double sided VHB tape in that area and keep all the screws in the single layer of the splitter or towards the rear of the splitter if facing it.
According to Maxton you're supposed to install the screws as close to the front of the bumper as you can. This prevents the spoiler from turning into an air scoop. All the pressure from the air is going to be on the front of that lip pushing down so having to screws more forward helps to protect it from peeling down. I would add screws further back well just for added security.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 04:14 PM   #368
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
there should be a MOD thread with all links to all of the parts.

last time i mod a car was in 08 my e90,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 04:42 PM   #369
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I installed the Maxton front splitter today. Did it by myself so it took about 3 hours. I used my car jack lift to prop the splitter all the way up to the bottom of the bumper while the car was on Jack's. After cleaning both surfaces with alcohol I applied 3M tape and various spots across the surface of the splitter. I lined up the two corners and initially used self-tapping screws. After a few of them I didn't like the result because it wasn't pulling the splitter tied up against the bumper. I removed the self Taps and replace them with the provided bolts and nuts. Since I already had the self tapping screws I tapped the rest of the holes using one of them. I didn't have to remove the bumper since I took all the screws off that connect the front bumper cover to the skid plate. That gave me enough room to reach my hand up inside the bumper and drop a washer and nut on top of the screw. Overall I think it came out well but I don't like that there were two gaps on each side of the middle portion right at the transition to the outer edge. You don't see it standing looking at the car but if you get down and close you can see it.
I also don't like that the two bolts that mount on each end of the middle portion is causing the front bumper cover to Sag right at the point where the bolt goes through. I used wide washers as provided so not sure why it's doing this.
Now that I have this installed I am definitely going to need the side skirts that go with it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 01:18 PM   #370
euroshowoff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota Sequoia Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
I installed the Maxton front splitter today. Did it by myself so it took about 3 hours. I used my car jack lift to prop the splitter all the way up to the bottom of the bumper while the car was on Jack's. After cleaning both surfaces with alcohol I applied 3M tape and various spots across the surface of the splitter. I lined up the two corners and initially used self-tapping screws. After a few of them I didn't like the result because it wasn't pulling the splitter tied up against the bumper. I removed the self Taps and replace them with the provided bolts and nuts. Since I already had the self tapping screws I tapped the rest of the holes using one of them. I didn't have to remove the bumper since I took all the screws off that connect the front bumper cover to the skid plate. That gave me enough room to reach my hand up inside the bumper and drop a washer and nut on top of the screw. Overall I think it came out well but I don't like that there were two gaps on each side of the middle portion right at the transition to the outer edge. You don't see it standing looking at the car but if you get down and close you can see it.
I also don't like that the two bolts that mount on each end of the middle portion is causing the front bumper cover to Sag right at the point where the bolt goes through. I used wide washers as provided so not sure why it's doing this.
Now that I have this installed I am definitely going to need the side skirts that go with it.
@leem40i do you have any pictures of the underside of the lip? received mine today, the instructions say to use screws as far forward as it can go...was hoping to see how the underside came out. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 07:36 PM   #371
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroshowoff View Post
@leem40i do you have any pictures of the underside of the lip? received mine today, the instructions say to use screws as far forward as it can go...was hoping to see how the underside came out. thanks.
Sorry for the delay but I just saw this reply. I don't have pictures of the underside when I was finished but I can give you this advice. You want to have the screws as far forward as possible but not too far. If you're too far forward you'll be drilling a hole past the point where the two surfaces are flat against each other and will be drilling through the area where they start to come apart and curve up and down. If that happens you will be able to see the screw or there will be a slight deformation of the bumper because you're stretching it together where it's supposed to be starting to separate. You can see that a little bit in the two Central screws that go through the splitter cross members. If you zoom in on my front picture you will see what I'm talking about. It's very subtle and nobody else sees that but because I took the time to install it I noticed it. You want the bolt as far forward as possible where the two surfaces are flat against each other.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 09:21 PM   #372
gphin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive30i, 2021 X3 M40

I installed my Maxton today. Took about 90 minutes and was actually pretty easy, thanks to tips supplied by other members who contributed to this thread. Mine fit perfect, totally flush. No need to jack up car. I used the shipping box to lay flat across front of vehicle. Placed some two by fours under the box and laid the splitter across the top. I ordered and used 3M Phixbear double sided tape and Toyota/Lexus 6.2x22mm self tapping bumper screws (Amazon). Used the Phixbear tape all along the top front edge along with drilling holes and using four screws in the four "channels" across the front. Drilled holes and placed three additional screws on each side and corner and two more in the middle towards the rear (12 screws total). Everything is flush and solid. Thanks posters for the tips.

Tips: don't put the tape too far forward near the bottom especially near the two lower corners of the grill as the spoiler doesn't fit totally flush and the tape will show. Also, if you don't have ability to raise front of vehicle, it's easier to pre drill holes in the four little channels in front before attaching.

Last edited by gphin; 04-12-2024 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 09:43 AM   #373
Ekliptix
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I love mine. Also have their side skirts, and rear spoiler. Still need to black out the mirror caps and a few pieces on the front.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #374
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's my end results. I have the front lip, side and rear skirts, and spoiler lip. I used 3m tape to tack up and then drilled holes for the bolt and nuts. The only place that got self tappers is the side skirts since then get no wind force.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1