BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-23-2023, 10:59 AM   #45
avidfan
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i, M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Why is their view on power coating "troubling"? Isn't it consistent with yours?
Just from the reading i have done, it seems the wheel should not be coated where it meets the hub, but i do not know. I just know they have already resurfaced the rotors twice and completely replaced the rotors twice, so i guess i was hoping they would throw a set of factory wheels on it just to see because my car has been in service for 40 days of the 7 months i have had it for this problem alone. And the rest of the time it has driven terrible. Whole car shaking when you brake. It has just been a terrible experience for an expensive car.

I am probably going to get rid of it even if they do fix it because i just dont trust it. It has already been in service for the ac messing up and a check engine light that resulted from the shudders not opening and closing on top of the brake issue.

Last edited by avidfan; 05-23-2023 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #46
jeff3820
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Is it just one rotor/wheel location or more than one location? When rotors overheat and warp that is usually a brake caliber periodically sticking. They should be focusing on calibers. If more than one wheel/rotor possibly the master cylinder or anti-lock brake module. My bet is on calibers and or need for brake fluid flush especially if the car has been in a high humidity area.
Appreciate 1
509er589.50
      05-23-2023, 05:47 PM   #47
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3820 View Post
Is it just one rotor/wheel location or more than one location? When rotors overheat and warp that is usually a brake caliber periodically sticking. They should be focusing on calibers. If more than one wheel/rotor possibly the master cylinder or anti-lock brake module. My bet is on calibers and or need for brake fluid flush especially if the car has been in a high humidity area.
All 4 and they flushed the braking system twice

Last edited by avidfan; 05-23-2023 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Added info
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 03:43 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidfan View Post
All 4 and they flushed the braking system twice
I hope they are checking out the original problem of brakes actuating themselves, even though the other garage replaced the DSC module. Prove it is still not happening.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 07:23 AM   #49
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Honestly, I'd be checking with a lawyer by now. In MA even used cars sold by a dealership are covered by a lemon law. Since you've had the problem since you got the car, that should be enough to take care of any warranty length terms, i.e. x mileage over x months. At some point, your sanity and safety need to be "top of the list".
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 06:29 PM   #50
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdal54 View Post
Honestly, I'd be checking with a lawyer by now. In MA even used cars sold by a dealership are covered by a lemon law. Since you've had the problem since you got the car, that should be enough to take care of any warranty length terms, i.e. x mileage over x months. At some point, your sanity and safety need to be "top of the list".
I have talked to a few lawyers, but i am trying to give the original dealership a chance to make it right. They contacted me today and said the rear rotors are warped some and they are machining them and replacing brake pads.. keep in mind the rotors are only about 6 weeks old and have less than 600 miles on them

Edit: i looked through my paperwork and the most recent set of rotors actually have 1500-2000 miles on them. I was surprised at how much driving i actually do. I take and pick up my son from school mon-fri and it is 25 miles away, so i put 100 miles a day doing that alone.

Last edited by avidfan; 05-30-2023 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Added actual mileage
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 03:09 PM   #51
avidfan
Rep

Update!

The original dealer, BMW of Gwinnett picked my car up with a rollback. They machined the front rotors, then 2 days later they machined the rear rotors. Service Tech texted and said its fixed.

They will not investigate it further. They have known from the beginning that every time they machined or replaced the rotors, the car felt fine for a week or so after ( for me, that is around 700-1000 miles ). So, they did the exact same thing that was tried over and over again, and claim it is fixed.

I said that is not a fix, the fix is when you find out why the rotors are getting hot enough to warp and fix the issue. All they did was repeat the original “fix” that did not work and they refuse to even acknowledge all the things BMW of Chattanooga did to try and fix the car. They let me know that nothing is wrong with the car and that they will not fix the rotors when it happens again in the next 1000 miles. They told me that rotors are not covered under warranty.

So, i am getting it back tomorrow and i will trade it in. I will never buy a bmw again. I will have my wifes m440i to drive for fun when i want, but once its warranty is up we will be done with BMW. It sucks when you are a fan and you get treated like this. It is like when you find out one of your heros growing up was really a terrible, mean person. I try not to be emotional about it, but i really thought i would be driving BMW’s the rest of my life.
Appreciate 4
TXGrey1266.00
lfdal541008.00
      05-30-2023, 03:50 PM   #52
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
That is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have read on here in a while. I can't believe they won't fix the problem the right way. Sorry man
      05-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #53
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Do not blame you at all. Exactly what I would do…. Sorry about this.

Edit: on a bright note… the used car market is still strong. Shouldn’t be taking much (if any) of a hit on trade in. Good luck; and let us know what you decide on. I’m still very undecided on where to go after the X4…. Always looking for input.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #54
avidfan
Rep

I appreciate the support. I am trying to keep my mind occupied reading about other vehicles instead of staying angry. I am sure some people are wondering why I do not get a lawyer. My wife and I just decided we want to put it behind us and end this nightmare of an experience. There are no guarantees and getting a lawyer is expensive.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1266.00
      05-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #55
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
Really sorry to hear. It’s definitely not right but at least you’re taking it in stride. No point in worrying about things.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1266.00
      05-30-2023, 05:41 PM   #56
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Real sry you had a bad time with the x4..hoping after you trade it in that you update us with the vin so no one else will have to deal with the same truck.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541008.00
      05-30-2023, 08:05 PM   #57
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
Real sry you had a bad time with the x4..hoping after you trade it in that you update us with the vin so no one else will have to deal with the same truck.
Ooooo - good idea
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1220.00
      05-31-2023, 11:40 AM   #58
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Horrible story. Good luck. I went from a X3M40i to a SQ5 after a buyback from BMW and have been very happy. They should buy your car back.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 02:03 PM   #59
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Horrible story. Good luck. I went from a X3M40i to a SQ5 after a buyback from BMW and have been very happy. They should buy your car back.
curious why, I had an SQ5 but couldn't stand it. all the auto systems that couldn't be disabled made me sell the car in 3 months. every time I would reverse, it thought I was going to hit something and would engage the auto brakes when not needed and I go so frustrated I sold the car lol... I couldn't find a way at the time, to disable those things maybe now it's different as I think mine was 2018 or thereabouts.
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 06:40 AM   #60
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
I appreciate the support. I am trying to keep my mind occupied reading about other vehicles instead of staying angry. I am sure some people are wondering why I do not get a lawyer. My wife and I just decided we want to put it behind us and end this nightmare of an experience. There are no guarantees and getting a lawyer is expensive.
HEY this video came across my YT feed, Check the brake hard lines and see if any of them are pinched.

https://youtube.com/shorts/39ST5qbpcik?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 07:02 PM   #61
Larryatl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 m40i

Quote:
I agree.. no one I have talked to, including some high end car mechanics think it has anything to do with the powder coating. Here is the problem: i asked them if the engineer swapped tires on the car to verify that it was the cause. They said “no, he did not… but it would do no good because your rotors and pads are already ruined again and BMW will not cover replacing them again”. So there was no point in switching wheels. It also gives them the ability to say if i fix them myself, but the problem is still present, they can say it is because the car had been modified. I gaurantee you they will not honor any warranty on the brake system. If BMW is that petty over rotors, they sure are not going to replace all the callipers. I specifically asked if they went through and verified the callipers were working properly and they claimed it was done. When they had my car for 2 weeks they had BMWNA ( i assume an engineer ) walk them through the entire brake system twice. And what are the odds of 4 callipers malfunctioning. I think that is why they went with replacing the electronic stability control module. Because it malfunctioning would affect all the brakes… and they saw it was actuating the brakes without pressing the pedal while driving it on a lift. When I picked it up after those 2 weeks I did not have much confidence it was fixed because no one in the service department would say “we finally figured it out”. They actually had my service advisor tell me “BMW NA says if it happens again, then it is something you are doing to the brakes”.

This scared the crap out of me, and it is when I contacted BMW of NA. The rep was super nice and empathized with me and told me “ they would either fix the car or find a solution to help me.” She asked me what I wanted and I just said to be able to drive and enjoy my car, but at this point I am scared of it and if possible I would really just like some trade in help to purchase a brand new one. Me and my wife had already decided we would just start buying mine new like hers. After she contacted my dealer, she just said they would like to do a trade assist. I assume they are sick of seeing my car that they can not fix. Engineer finds out that wheels are powder coated and not “factory”, then BMW NA says they are done with me and will do nothing.

I told her it was certified that way and that i have the pics and video from the dealer showing they were coated when I bought it… she did not care and said the field engineer can not be over ruled in any way. It doesnt matter that official bmw dealerships advertise online that they powder coat rims and callipers and that “it does not affect your warranty”. She told me there was no one above her to talk to and I have not been able to get my dealership to give me an invoice just stating what the engineer found. I am in process of trying to talk to the original dealership. They asked me for an invoice stating what the engineer found, they also told me they have their own field engineer. The original dealership said they would look into it, but then threw a salesperson on me who offered me bottom dollar on my car and full price on another CPO. Why would I buy a CPO with what has happened? Get a little newer car, but i would have paid enough to purchase an X4 M40i completely loaded?

The bmw x3 has a brake drying feature that lightly engages the pads when you first start driving. Probably what they were seeing
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 07:21 AM   #62
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryatl View Post
The bmw x3 has a brake drying feature that lightly engages the pads when you first start driving. Probably what they were seeing
Brake drying should only be active with wipers switched on and above a specified speed, (>70km/h) according to BMW data.

If brakes are actuating on their own, on a lift, that indicates a fault, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 11:37 PM   #63
avidfan
Rep

A good final update:

After my last update and texting the manager at BMW of Gwinnett that I was just going to pick the car up, I got a phone call from him. I was upset that they did the exact same repair attempted numerous times before, but nothing was being done to address the actual problem of the rotors overheating and warping over and over. The sales manager talked to the GM and ordered me a new set of M718 oem rims.

I do not know if they believed it was even an issue, but I did think improper powder coating was the cause in the end. I found several BMW M cars that had this exact same problem with powder coating and even a dodge charger that described my exact same issue. Rotors warping from extreme heat after 1-2k miles that was fixed by new rims. The rims were completely coated. Nothing was taped off. The portion that was supposed to sit flush with the hub had only swirls and remnants of powder coating left around all the edges. There could not have been a flush mating of the surfaces the way it was.

I think the other things that went wrong were just failures of other components caused by the rotors being extremely warped and me continuing to drive it hoping it was from pad transfer. I also held off taking it in originally because I thought there was no way a car with 10k miles could need rotors.

Anyway… thanks for all the input. You guys helped me with info and allowing me to vent. It actually feels like it should after driving it a few hours. No weird moaning noises or rough feeling brakes so far. Hopefully there will be no more updates and i will finally get to enjoy the car.
Appreciate 4
lfdal541008.00
TXGrey1266.00
HeatJoey1220.00
      06-09-2023, 12:08 PM   #64
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Sounds like a good resolution to me! And, you have documentation if something like a caliper were to prematurely fail. Hope this fixes it once and for all.
      06-09-2023, 08:54 PM   #65
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
A good final update:

After my last update and texting the manager at BMW of Gwinnett that I was just going to pick the car up, I got a phone call from him. I was upset that they did the exact same repair attempted numerous times before, but nothing was being done to address the actual problem of the rotors overheating and warping over and over. The sales manager talked to the GM and ordered me a new set of M718 oem rims.

I do not know if they believed it was even an issue, but I did think improper powder coating was the cause in the end. I found several BMW M cars that had this exact same problem with powder coating and even a dodge charger that described my exact same issue. Rotors warping from extreme heat after 1-2k miles that was fixed by new rims. The rims were completely coated. Nothing was taped off. The portion that was supposed to sit flush with the hub had only swirls and remnants of powder coating left around all the edges. There could not have been a flush mating of the surfaces the way it was.

I think the other things that went wrong were just failures of other components caused by the rotors being extremely warped and me continuing to drive it hoping it was from pad transfer. I also held off taking it in originally because I thought there was no way a car with 10k miles could need rotors.

Anyway… thanks for all the input. You guys helped me with info and allowing me to vent. It actually feels like it should after driving it a few hours. No weird moaning noises or rough feeling brakes so far. Hopefully there will be no more updates and i will finally get to enjoy the car.
Great! Glad someone at BMW stepped up to make this right (or at least try this solution). Keep us posted please!
Appreciate 1
lfdal541008.00
      06-11-2023, 12:54 AM   #66
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Craziness like this happens when you send in a "technician" to do a mechanic's job. All they know to do is throw parts at it until it stops. Sadly, this mindset has permeated to every car brand on the market. I began to think, what kind of car out there matches the X3M40i and is reliable? I'm still thinking...
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00