BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-05-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Skylinechili
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Transfer Case failed, suddenly?

2013, X35i w/ 98,000 miles. Last week I heard a slight humming when I first left the house. It went away after a few minutes. No other issues and drove the rest of the day without issue. The next morning I got Chasis stabilization warning while backing out of drive. Vehicle wouldn't allow me to drive over 5 mph. Had it towed to shop. Shop recommended transfer case service, new fluid and calibration, $400. This didn't help and was told I needed to replace transfer case. $5000. Seems odd that the transfer case would just fail suddenly? Am I missing something here? Just seeking advice on this subject and how difficult a DIY might be on this project. Anything else I might check before purchasing a new transfer case? All advice and help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 05:23 AM   #2
heticor
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

here a video how to replace the transfer case

and this video how to perform a service on the unit

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heticor View Post
here a video how to replace the transfer case

and this video how to perform a service on the unit

The videos you posted are for E series X3 , not the F25…and I believe even though some things might be the same, the F25 does not have the same actuator
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 09:44 PM   #4
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinechili View Post
2013, X35i w/ 98,000 miles. Last week I heard a slight humming when I first left the house. It went away after a few minutes. No other issues and drove the rest of the day without issue. The next morning I got Chasis stabilization warning while backing out of drive. Vehicle wouldn't allow me to drive over 5 mph. Had it towed to shop. Shop recommended transfer case service, new fluid and calibration, $400. This didn't help and was told I needed to replace transfer case. $5000. Seems odd that the transfer case would just fail suddenly? Am I missing something here? Just seeking advice on this subject and how difficult a DIY might be on this project. Anything else I might check before purchasing a new transfer case? All advice and help appreciated.
What were the codes that were pulled from the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinechili View Post
$5,000 for a transfer case? Go to RealOEM.com and plug in the last 7 places of your VIN. Find the transfer case in the parts pictures. Click on that until you have the part number. Highlight the part number with your mouse and right click, and pick search Google. Then you can see multiple sellers and what they actually cost. I do not think they are close to $5,000 (maybe less than $2,000) and the labor is not that much. They are not that hard to remove. But as others have said, make sure the actuator is not bad.
Appreciate 0