BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #23
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

OP I can't see why you would lease it and I lease almost all my cars. I drive 12k/yr and have 10% sales tax here which is mitigated in a lease so if rates are good then leasing works for me but it's a narrow advantage. I'd finance if I were you, especially with loan rates currently and bad residuals on lease.
Appreciate 1
Shtey13.50
      09-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #24
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
... Don't see why people wouldn't buy a higher performance car just because it exists and they want the highest performance.
Because for most people... vast majority... taking some driving lessons and spending some track-time with a proper instructor, with what they have, would give them far more performance capability (and likely satisfaction) than buying horsepower. The mistake most people make is that they think they have capability because their car does. In reality, they waste money on HP (leasing a more capable car) instead of learning to coax more out of their existing HP. You can't get more places to use the capability you already have but you can maximize it. So - back to the original question - buy what you like right now and drive it properly/vigorously - THEN (since some of us here actually have the money) buy your EV for fuel economy/savings in 5-10 years when something comes out that you want. Don't lease today, return in 36-48 months, and be out all that money. If you believe that what you buy today won't have a market in 5 years (Completely wrong IMO. Just look at the market for '69 Ferrari Daytona or Boss 302 Mustang) and keep it for anything you want later. If you're going to spend the money - have something to show for it later. You can sell it or keep it - it will still be the beast it is today.
Who cares? People buy what they want because they want to. Not everyone wants to mod a car or own an electric vehicle. With the problems that come with battery biodegradation, I wonder what electric car production will do to mitigate this.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #25
Shtey
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mcer View Post
A lease also has the leg up if you're able to write it off as a business vehicle.
You can write off depreciation from a purchase!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #26
Shtey
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
OP I can't see why you would lease it and I lease almost all my cars. I drive 12k/yr and have 10% sales tax here which is mitigated in a lease so if rates are good then leasing works for me but it's a narrow advantage. I'd finance if I were you, especially with loan rates currently and bad residuals on lease.
Helpful perspective. Thank you.

For context, what were residuals on these cars in the past?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #27
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Helpful perspective. Thank you.

For context, what were residuals on these cars in the past?
In the past when?

In 2015 I had a residual of 62% on my M4. I did European delivery and was paying $800 with 0 drive off for something like a 75k car. Just nuts.

Residual have been going down considerably in most if not all of the models in later years.

I think it went up to something like 65% for some M3/M4 models at some point in time… crazy.
Appreciate 1
Shtey13.50
      09-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #28
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

I am also struggling whether to lease or not. I am really frustrated that the i40
only gets the base hi-fi system. I could buy the X7 on a 1.89% 60mo term and get a $3250 military discount or lease it for 36mo. 10k mi. MF of .0013 and residual of 48%. If I buy it, I’ll just keep it for 6 to 7yrs. with an expensive extended warranty that may offset my savings plus spending another $2k expel ppf parts of X7 from the get go. I wouldn’t do that on a lease. Lease or buy???
Appreciate 0