BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan BMW F9x X3M/X4M Springs/Bumpstops & Monoballs

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Name:  F9x_X3M_Springs_Banner_Forums.jpg
Views: 6327
Size:  267.8 KB
Dinan BMW F9x X3M/X4M Springs/Bumpstops

Part Number(s): D100-0935 & D193-9701

Applications:
  • 2020-2021 F97 X3M
  • 2020-2021 F97 X3M Competition
  • 2020-2021 F98 X4M
  • 2020-2021 F98 X4M Competition
Product Page(s) / Pricing: Release Date: Begin shipping 5/20/21!

Description: Suspension systems that not only transform the stance of the vehicle but also maintain ride quality and improve upon handling are what Dinan suspensions are known for. This is accomplished by pairing springs sets with bump stops spring perches or both to maintain suspension travel resulting in a smooth ride while also improving mechanical grip and handling. This is what makes Dinan suspension systems unique. While we are able to sell each component separately, it is highly recommended that both the spring sets and the supplemental ride quality and handling kits are used in tandem in order to maintain the Dinan quality standards our customers are used to. Experience the Dinan difference with this combination and enjoy the ride it provides.

Dinan's Performance Spring set for the F97 X3M and F98 X4M provides greater control over body roll by virtue of carefully calibrated spring rates. Additionally, Dinan lowers the car for improved suspension geometry and an even more aggressive stance. The Dinan springs are CNC wound with high tensile chrome silicon wire and shot-peened for stress relief to last the life of the car. The increase in stiffness will reduce the rear suspension compression under acceleration and front suspension compression (or dive) under braking, giving your car a more controlled feel. The Dinan performance springs will also provide a noticeable improvement in grip for high-speed driving situations that will inspire confidence in your car's capabilities. The reduced body roll makes the steering more responsive to driver input and will be noticed at low speeds up to the top speed of the vehicle.

NOTE: Dinan Performance Spring sets should be purchased and installed with the corresponding Ride Quality and Handling Kit to achieve the advertised ride height performance and ride quality. While not explicitly required, if the matching component is not purchased and installed you will get less than favorable results in the form of poor ride quality and improper handling traits. While we will maintain a full warranty on product defects any claims against the cars improper handling ride quality traits due to not purchasing the corresponding handling kit will not be warranted.

Features/Benefits:
  • Vehicle lowered 1" in the front and rear.
  • 20% increase in spring stiffness in front and rear.
  • Substantial reduction in body roll.
  • Preset to prevent spring sag.
  • Compatible with factory electronic shocks (M Adaptive Suspension).

Name:  D100-0935_1.jpg
Views: 5712
Size:  236.0 KB
Name:  D193-9701_1.jpg
Views: 5691
Size:  222.7 KB
Name:  D100-0935_4.jpg
Views: 6048
Size:  557.9 KB

Name:  F97_Monoballs_Banner_Forum.jpg
Views: 5732
Size:  198.9 KB

Dinan BMW F9x X3M/X4M Tension Strut Ball Joint Kit (Monoballs)

Part Number(s): D280-0023

Applications:
  • 2020-2021 F97 X3M
  • 2020-2021 F97 X3M Competition
  • 2020-2021 F98 X4M
  • 2020-2021 F98 X4M Competition
Product Page(s) / Pricing: dinan.info/F97-TSBJ

Release Date: Available Now!

Description: An underrated component of a proper driver's suspension the monoball kit (tension strut ball joint kit in today's terminology), is a remnant of an era when road feel was something desirable and sought after. Drivers wanted the visceral feel of being connected to the road as the road-racing heritage of BMW M demanded. Dinan embraced this and over the years mastered its craft into a kit that not only satisfied the desire for proper road feel but also made it livable for everyday driving. While stock suspension properties may have swayed from its golden era lineage to more mainstream ideals, Dinan is here to correct those mistakes for those that want a more M-passioned BMW experience.

The Dinan Tension Strut Ball Joint Kit provides responsiveness you can feel by replacing the rubber bushings in the thrust arms with precision ball joints and machined aluminum housings. Improves responsiveness by eliminating the deflection inherent in the stock rubber bushings while also reducing brake shimmy. The quietest bearings on the market are virtually noise-free so you can live with them every day. These are the only bearings on the market that are sealed using a rubber boot to keep out dirt and road grime stopping them from wearing out prematurely.

Features/Benefits:
  • Improved steering responsiveness.
  • Reduces brake shimmy.
  • Nylon-lined bearings for quiet operation.
  • Machined aluminum housings.
  • Sealed bearings.

Name:  D280-0023_2.jpg
Views: 5623
Size:  197.5 KB
Appreciate 5
      05-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 McLaren 720S, 2021 X4MC

Alright, who's going to try these first?
Appreciate 3
aw3051441.50
pluckydks621.50
      05-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

What's the verdict on ride comfort of the Dinan springs and bump stops vs stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:36 AM   #4
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjponti View Post
Since it's DINAN a great deal of the preliminary guess work is removed from the equation. But you probably already knew that.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      05-19-2021, 05:07 AM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

My first thoughts - that rear spring design is very similar to the stock design with many coils added to a progressive spring rate, meaning the ride is probably not going to be the greatest and hitting the bump stop will be an issue. Compare to other aftermarket springs with a much different design. But hey I could be wrong, Dinan usually puts out good stuff.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      05-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 McLaren 720S, 2021 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjponti View Post
Since it's DINAN a great deal of the preliminary guess work is removed from the equation. But you probably already knew that.
Absolutely! I just want someone else to put them on first and give us a review versus MSS and H&R 😆
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X3MC

I am interested as well. The other options seem to soften up the springs and in turn, impact handling. If these give a slight drop and improve handling, pending the ride quality doesn't drastically suffer, they may be the solution for people that don't want to sacrifice handling for appearance.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      05-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
I am interested as well. The other options seem to soften up the springs and in turn, impact handling. If these give a slight drop and improve handling, pending the ride quality doesn't drastically suffer, they may be the solution for people that don't want to sacrifice handling for appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
My first thoughts - that rear spring design is very similar to the stock design with many coils added to a progressive spring rate, meaning the ride is probably not going to be the greatest and hitting the bump stop will be an issue. Compare to other aftermarket springs with a much different design. But hey I could be wrong, Dinan usually puts out good stuff.
Quote:
The stock front springs are linear. The stock rear springs are 2-stage (I guess you could technically call them progressive but not in the traditional way).

Both Dinan springs are 2-stage, but behave linear under most operating conditions.

Other options on the market from what I can gather are straight progressive. Lots of articles out there comparing the 2 styles but Dinan has always opted for linear style springs for a couple of reasons— predictability for one but also it rewards the driver with the most driver feel/input. Both are what you would desire for spirited driving and driving enjoyment in general. In regards to ride quality— paired with the bumpstops— stock suspension travel is retained so ride quality is largely unaffected. Generally speaking we have used the same suspension philosophy for decades and the press reviews are pretty consistent in that regard with glowing reviews and usually what is raved about the most. The X3M in my opinion is no exception to this.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

I'm sorry, compared to the OEM springs, these cars DO NOT NEED a 20% increase in stiffness. 🙄

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12805.00
izzynyc37.50
      05-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4 View Post
I'm sorry, compared to the OEM springs, these cars DO NOT NEED a 20% increase in stiffness. 🙄
You've got a point there :
Appreciate 1
ed41341.50
      05-24-2021, 11:10 PM   #11
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

More stiff than stock for a 1" drop...oh man. I hope someone makes this a track only car, because I couldn't withstand the stock stiffness...

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:06 AM   #12
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
More stiff than stock for a 1" drop...oh man. I hope someone makes this a track only car, because I couldn't withstand the stock stiffness...
They claim ride quality is unaffected but I don't want to be the test case. I am interested in closing the wheel gap a little but the other options out there soften things up too much and negatively impact handling. In theory, these springs will improve handling but it may not be worth the potential sacrifice of ride quality.
Appreciate 1
to_riffic3010.00
      05-25-2021, 01:40 AM   #13
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
None of us will ever know if stock ride quality is maintained for the most part. Until one of goes under the knife. Wish all shops had a demo car for reference to ride a long in for a few miles.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
ed41341.50
      05-25-2021, 05:23 AM   #14
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm tempted to go this route b/c for me it's hard to tolerate how the stock suspension handles bumpy roads. Way too floaty. Almost to the point of giving my passengers motion sickness. Want a set up that will eat up those bumps better and ride a bit more composed for everyday use. Not really bothered by the otherwise "stiffness" folks claim they don't enjoy on this M model
Appreciate 1
spdandpwr441.00
      05-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #15
redcrxsi
Private
Rep
Drives: F97 x3m

Interesting option, I do like the bump stops as part of the solution that said the wheel travel stock is quite low as it is. I know many have had a good experience with the MSS springs. That said I just can’t wrap my head about not adjusting the valving or tuning when you changing the spring, the two work together.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #16
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
You've got a point there :
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. I didn't find the ride quality stock to be very harsh. Of all the stock setups the M2C was hands down the stiffest stock suspension of recent memory and when we went a bit stiffer (albeit with linear instead of progressive springs like stock) I think most agree the ride quality got better as a result.

Quote:
They claim ride quality is unaffected but I don't want to be the test case. I am interested in closing the wheel gap a little but the other options out there soften things up too much and negatively impact handling. In theory, these springs will improve handling but it may not be worth the potential sacrifice of ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
None of us will ever know if stock ride quality is maintained for the most part. Until one of goes under the knife. Wish all shops had a demo car for reference to ride a long in for a few miles.
Sold a fair amount of sets the first week so hopefully someone from the forums is one of them and will report back first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
I'm tempted to go this route b/c for me it's hard to tolerate how the stock suspension handles bumpy roads. Way too floaty. Almost to the point of giving my passengers motion sickness. Want a set up that will eat up those bumps better and ride a bit more composed for everyday use. Not really bothered by the otherwise "stiffness" folks claim they don't enjoy on this M model
This synopsis is pretty much spot on to the feeling here in the building.
Appreciate 1
spdandpwr441.00
      05-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. I didn't find the ride quality stock to be very harsh. Of all the stock setups the M2C was hands down the stiffest stock suspension of recent memory and when we went a bit stiffer (albeit with linear instead of progressive springs like stock) I think most agree the ride quality got better as a result.

Sold a fair amount of sets the first week so hopefully someone from the forums is one of them and will report back first hand.

This synopsis is pretty much spot on to the feeling here in the building.

I wish you guys were still in Morgan Hill. What would you typically charge to install these on a customer's car? The thing really holding me back is spending 10 hours on an install as well as buying a coilover spring compressor.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #18
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well done!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:06 PM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish you guys were still in Morgan Hill. What would you typically charge to install these on a customer's car? The thing really holding me back is spending 10 hours on an install as well as buying a coilover spring compressor.
We haven't done any customer installs since 2013. I can only imagine what our labor rate was back then. As far as the quoted 10 hours you need to keep in mind we need to quote BMW Dealership book time or a dealership technician will never take the job when they can make more money doing OE work. As such your best bet on suspension work for a more price conscious consumer is going to an independent shop who will not be constrained by that time. Again -- its a "recommended" install time.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #20
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anyone know what wheels are on the x3m?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #21
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by junx View Post
Anyone know what wheels are on the x3m?
The Dinan DC3's (forged). Black can be found at https://www.dinancars.com/products/w.../D750-0093-BLK but also available in a brushed finish.
Appreciate 1
junx595.50
      05-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #22
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Order placed with a local dinan installer. Will give a full review once installed.
Appreciate 1