BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
SunnydaysATX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330d, 750i

Range Rover equivalent

I am close to ordering a new X3Mc (my2020) from a dealer in NJ.

Out of curiosity, I visited the Range Rover showroom across the street to scope out an equivalent or similar. My wife liked the new Range Rover Velar which is roughly the same size and I got a quote for the R-Dynamic P380 with a price of $87k. This vehicle was closer to an x3 M40i!

I am missing something with why Range Rover command such a high price (Apart from the badge!)???.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

The velar is a nonsense vehicle, your wife "liked" it because it has curves and it oozes outside elegance but it handles like an elephant on PCP. Your on the money with the X3Mc.

Don't compare BMW to Range Rover they'll be gone within the next 5 years given the overall financials of the company.
Appreciate 5
Max Well4690.50
BOGX4M46.00
csh21214.50
GuyOh1064.00
      07-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Range Rovers can usually be purchased for 10-15% under msrp because they are so overpriced compared to competition.

You don't buy a RR for performance it's more luxury.

Best comparison I think is the Jaguar F Pace SVR (yeah same company but similar price and performance to X3MC)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Best comparison I think is the Jaguar F Pace SVR (yeah same company but similar price and performance to X3MC)
Correct. I have been deciding between the X3/4MC and the F-Pace SVR (with the MB GLC63 also in the mix). I have decided on the SVR and placing the order this week. I have never had a Jag and have been a BMW guy for decades (two e36 M3s, e60 M5 for 11 years, and two e36 M3 race cars I raced with BMW Club Racing). I delayed the choice until seeing the X3M. I also considered the X4M. I decided on the SVR based on appearance, ride quality, sound and slightly larger interior. This will be my daily driver and will be making some long-distance trips. Also some other details such as apparent lack of remote start in the X3/4. The price is virtually the same. There is not a wrong choice to be made here.

Last edited by MRichmond; 07-28-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
      07-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichmond View Post
Quote:
Correct. I have been deciding between the X3/4MC and the F-Pace SVR (with the MB GLC63 also in the mix). I have decided on the SVR and placing the order this week. I have never had a Jag and have been a BMW guy for decades (two e36 M3s, e60 M5 for 11 years, and two e36 M3 race cars I raced with BMW Club Racing). I delayed the choice until seeing the X3M. I also considered the X4M. I decided on the SVR based on appearance, ride quality, sound and slightly larger interior. This will be my daily driver and will be making some long-distance trips. Also some other details such as apparent lack of remote start in the X3/4. The price is virtually the same. There is not a wrong choice to be made here.
traitor ... lol

like u said, no wrong choices there
      07-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
I totaled my 2019 X3 M40i and have been waiting for MY2020. X3M is tempting - wish it had ID7 and trailer option (if it had these, I would have pulled the trigger and placed my order weeks ago).

That said, I've had lots of time to check out alternatives. I test drove the F-Pace and i-Pace. I find both lacking. Both make me long for the X3 back. Rover is basically same as F-Pace.

In the Jag / Rover area, I am less enthused about the electronics packages. I am a techie and love the BMW new screen and display options (and all the many configuration items contained there in). I wasn't as keen on fit and finish the the BMWs as well.

Cars are nice.. but after 8 months driving the X3 M40i (loaded with every option), I haven't found anything else even close to making me want to change.
      12-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #7
HereForever
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7

Speaking about Rovers, I've had an opportunity to drive a range rover evoque once while we rented it at https://realcar.nyc/rent-a-range-rover-evoque during our business trip and I have to say the car felt really nice. Not sure if other models behave the same but that one was a pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
In the UK the F Pace SVR works out at twice the price of the X3M on finance, insane.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
csh212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnydaysATX View Post
I am close to ordering a new X3Mc (my2020) from a dealer in NJ.

Out of curiosity, I visited the Range Rover showroom across the street to scope out an equivalent or similar. My wife liked the new Range Rover Velar which is roughly the same size and I got a quote for the R-Dynamic P380 with a price of $87k. This vehicle was closer to an x3 M40i!

I am missing something with why Range Rover command such a high price (Apart from the badge!)???.
Have you read the reviews on the RR? Is roadside assistance included? Lolz.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is also RR Velar SVAutobiography. It’s basically a more elegant and luxurious version of the F-Pace SVR. However, for a V8/550 hp car it’s surprisingly slow (4.3 sec C&D test).
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...dynamic-drive/
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
shakfu3
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Quote:
I currently own a F-Pace (non SVR). I'm 2.5 years in and I have to say that the electronics are a disaster. 50% of the time the bluetooth doesn't work. On several occasions that entertainment system won't even boot. This morning, the radio wouldn't play any sound.

I've heard similar stories from multiple owners. Driving dynamics are up to par though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #12
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
In the UK the F Pace SVR works out at twice the price of the X3M on finance, insane.
You get to go to the dealers often though Shocking reliability.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
SVR is a beast mate, pop some pics on here when you get it 👍
      12-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
SVR is a beast mate, pop some pics on here when you get it ��
Two months and 2,000 miles in and loving it. (Not my house, but do know the model.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wills28618.00
      12-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakfu3 View Post
I currently own a F-Pace (non SVR). I'm 2.5 years in and I have to say that the electronics are a disaster. 50% of the time the bluetooth doesn't work. On several occasions that entertainment system won't even boot. This morning, the radio wouldn't play any sound.

I've heard similar stories from multiple owners. Driving dynamics are up to par though.
No such problems on my 2020 SVR. There is infrequently a slight delay on start-up, but the system works very well overall. A hard rotary dial would be a welcome addition, but between the large touch screen and steering wheel controls, it has exceeded my expectations which had been limited by the less-than-stellar reviews of the car's infotainment. Apple CarPlay works flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #16
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

I work for one of the largest JLR dealers in the north east. Some of these comments are hilarious. 10-15% off lol.... Maybe on BMWs which are mass produced in the United States, Mexico and China, but you absolutely don’t see reductions like that anywhere on any JLR product. Different demographic of vehicle, different purposes. Nothing we currently offer, outside on an SV or SVR can keep up with the M brand, but that’s not really the vehicles appeal. If you want a quality interior, with great on road comfort and composure then a Rover is for you, but don’t expect a regular velar or evoque to be equal on the backroads to an M. Oh and reliability issues are blown way out of proportion. Sold my sister a R Sport F Pace 6 months ago, has not had a single rattle, or issue thus far. There are horror stories with every brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #17
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Two months and 2,000 miles in and loving it. (Not my house, but do know the model.)
The Berkeley Plantation provides a beautiful backdrop to your excellent images, MRichmond. We have great memories of our trip to that area over 25 years ago, and fortunately had time to visit all of the homes on the James River tour.

With your long history of BMW ownership, I'm curious if a part of you is missing the Gestalt of the M lines? I ask because we also took a break from BMW and tried a number of different Mnfrs, but at the end of the day none of them completely fit the bill for us. We're back now and although I won't say never, I honestly don't see us leaving again.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #18
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
The Berkeley Plantation provides a beautiful backdrop to your excellent images, MRichmond. We have great memories of our trip to that area over 25 years ago, and fortunately had time to visit all of the homes on the James River tour.

With your long history of BMW ownership, I'm curious if a part of you is missing the Gestalt of the M lines? I ask because we also took a break from BMW and tried a number of different Mnfrs, but at the end of the day none of them completely fit the bill for us. We're back now and although I won't say never, I honestly don't see us leaving again.
Good eye! I have been a huge fan of the M cars for 30 years, and greatly enjoyed each one I had. Maybe it's still the honeymoon phase with the SVR, but I am not missing the Ms so far, largely because the SVR has proven to be such an involving and fun driving experience. The sound is a big part of it, but so is the comfort, appearance and taut fun-to-drive factor. I also noticed a significant shift in priorities once I started racing. Since nothing on the street or in a street car can even approach the visceral experience of a fully built race car on a race track, my on-street preferences have veered more toward every day usability and comfort while maintaining fun, but without the emphasis on what the street car theoretically could do at its limit since it would be foolish and highly illegal to even approach the limits of these cars on the street. We will see what the future holds, and I certainly could see returning to the M line depending on the offerings.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #19
shakfu3
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Quote:
No such problems on my 2020 SVR. There is infrequently a slight delay on start-up, but the system works very well overall. A hard rotary dial would be a welcome addition, but between the large touch screen and steering wheel controls, it has exceeded my expectations which had been limited by the less-than-stellar reviews of the car's infotainment. Apple CarPlay works flawlessly.
Congrats!!! Car looks beautiful (and I know it sounds amazing). Mine is a 2017 so hopefully, they have ironed out the bugs in the latest version of the infotainment.

Drive in good health!!!!
Appreciate 0