BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Question Premium Package Breakdown

Premium Package
-Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
-Panoramic moonroof
-Lumbar support
-Storage package
-Interior light package
-Universal garage-door opener

Is there a thread/link to the breakdown of the different features included in the Prem Pkg?

I am trying to get more info on the Interior Light Package and Storage Package to see if I can go w/o it perhaps, as I can do w/o the wood trim, per say.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

While I'm not getting my X3 until Friday I have seen this option at the launch car at the dealer. What I remember was exterior lighting on the door handles that lit downward, footwell lights when the doors were opened. And lighting in the door pockets. Anyone else have the option already? I might have missed some stuff.
I was reading in a different post earlier that this was an option the person wished they had ordered because the interior was very dark without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
flash3
Captain
Rep

The latter part of your statement is what is making me think over it but it's nearly 4k for the entire pkg when I could do w/o the wood trim and moon roof, per say.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

The lumbar support option is Also only available in the package as well as the home link garage opener. I personally wanted the panoramic moonroof both for enjoyment and resale so it was easy to justify with those other extras. The lighting and lumbar support are things I have read about "had I to do it over..." they would have been added.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Oh. And the automatic dimming int ext mirrors. That was another one that was talked about being worth every penny. Don't know about 4k pennies but all the options together made it compelling for me
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
flash3
Captain
Rep

What's the storage package all about if you can add some more into it?

I'm scheduled to go thr x3 diff event in 2 weeks and then will order it depending upon the best price I get.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

I think that is the option that includes the two chrome looking rails in the floor board of the cargo area. There are clip in down hooks that block into the rails with tensioning straps that can tie down whatever u have back there. It also comes with a retractable cargo cover and net that can pull up to separate seating from cargo space.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
I think the storage package also adds the storage nets on the back of the front seats.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
I'm the one who originally posted on "wishing I had ordered" the lumbar and the interior lighting. I happened to be at Global Imports in Atlanta today where the X3 Difference Event was being held. So I got to check out 4 new X3 that have a lot of options piled on.

The lumbar is so totally worth it in my opinion - you can really inflate the heck out of the back of the seat and adjust if for higher or lower parts. I asked the service manager if they cold retrofit it - but sadly no.

I also saw the interior lighting package - driver's and passenger's foot area, back seat foot area, and most importantly the lights on the outdoor handles - wish I had that.

On another note, the X3 Difference Event looked pretty cool. There is a group of 8 BMW employees who are driving 7 cars (4 X3s and 3 competitors cars) around the country to 30 locations. They had people lined up to test drive the cars and they each will get $500 in options if they order. Wish they had that back in November when I ordered - then I would have gotten the lumber and lighting options!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Lights in the cargo area are handy, too.

I use and enjoy the components of the Premium Package daily. For the percentage cost the package represents of the whole car, for me, it was absolutely worth it.

Last edited by Nahoa; 02-23-2011 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
flash3
Captain
Rep

I will be going to the x3 event next weekend and hoping to see the packages in full effect, especially the Prem Pkg. I am sold on the Conv Pkg, as those are things I want regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
flash3
Captain
Rep

So the more and more I think about it, I am thinking of sticking to the Sports Activity Pkg and Convenience Pkg and move away from the Premium Pkg.

The only real things I would use or think I would use or need (I should say is

-wood trim

-interior light pkg

-folding mirrors

-lumbar support (though I still don't understand the entire set up)

Someone sway me in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

There's no right answer, it's what you use and enjoy. I have the premium package and use/enjoy the stuff daily. For me it was the right choice. If a moonroof means nothing to you, having spiffy lights inside and outside is just frivolous, you don't have a garage door, don't like wood trim, don't want the cargo rails and nets, don't have need to fold the mirrors, and adjusting the lumbar support doesn't matter to you then the premium package would be a waste. Use the cash elsewhere.
      03-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
There's no right answer, it's what you use and enjoy. I have the premium package and use/enjoy the stuff daily. For me it was the right choice. If a moonroof means nothing to you, having spiffy lights inside and outside is just frivolous, you don't have a garage door, don't like wood trim, don't want the cargo rails and nets, don't have need to fold the mirrors, and adjusting the lumbar support doesn't matter to you then the premium package would be a waste. Use the cash elsewhere.
Lumbar

The lumbar support, and I've looked for a few different forums, seems to be a personal choice. Is there a site/link you have come across in your research that goes into what it is, sort of like a descriptive post of sorts?

I know it's not making the seat go forward or reclining, but more so puffing up the back area?

Inside/Outside Lights

The outside lights (just the ones under the lock) aren't really a need (but a want) though the inside lights are something I am thinking about. I've read here that those who didn't order the Prem Pkg regret it because it's super dark in their car inside. Does it mean while running/driving the car? Or more so the lack of a car light or not enough?

Any samples of this feature in action?

BTW - Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Lumbar: It moves a portion of the seat fore or aft and up or down to adjust the amount of support the seat provides in the lumbar area. Given the adjustment, if you don't like it you can always adjust it to a neutral position. (Some would argue that that's the ability to adjust the seat to fit you specifically and you couldn't find "neutral" w/o lumbar support unless you were lucky enough to have the seat match you just right).

Lights: As far as I can see, the lighting package is about the door lights, foot lights, cargo area lights that are used when entering, exiting, loading. I'm not sure whether it changes any of the other lights like on the mirrors, reading lights, etc. The outside lights do illuminate footing in the door area which can be handy if you live someplace where there's variable snow and ice. Can't figure out a way to show pictures of the lights. Tried a few and they're useless. As an anecdote, my in-laws are visiting and my Mother-in-Law thinks the door lights and the footwell lights are the coolest thing . . . well, maybe after the seat heaters. She commented how nice it is to be able to see clearly the floorboard as she's getting in.
      03-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Lumbar: It moves a portion of the seat fore or aft and up or down to adjust the amount of support the seat provides in the lumbar area. Given the adjustment, if you don't like it you can always adjust it to a neutral position. (Some would argue that that's the ability to adjust the seat to fit you specifically and you couldn't find "neutral" w/o lumbar support unless you were lucky enough to have the seat match you just right).

Lights: As far as I can see, the lighting package is about the door lights, foot lights, cargo area lights that are used when entering, exiting, loading. I'm not sure whether it changes any of the other lights like on the mirrors, reading lights, etc. The outside lights do illuminate footing in the door area which can be handy if you live someplace where there's variable snow and ice. Can't figure out a way to show pictures of the lights. Tried a few and they're useless. As an anecdote, my in-laws are visiting and my Mother-in-Law thinks the door lights and the footwell lights are the coolest thing . . . well, maybe after the seat heaters. She commented how nice it is to be able to see clearly the floorboard as she's getting in.
THANKS a lot for the details, I actually got a visual image of what you were referring to in your desc of the lumbar support!

Have you posted any pics of your car in the past?
Appreciate 0