BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1299
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfrom07 View Post
Is the dial you have standard for the SE but shows differently in the M Sport or is it different for a manual over an auto?
No, its the difference between having Pro Navigation (which includes extended black panel instrument display) and not having it.
      03-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #1300
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
No, its the difference between having Pro Navigation (which includes extended black panel instrument display) and not having it.
Ta muchly dnw...I guess I wont get it then considering I have not ordered Pro Navigation. I suppose the Black Instrument Panel Embellishers dont make a lot of difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #1301
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ta muchly dnw...I guess I wont get it then considering I have not ordered Pro Navigation. I suppose the Black Instrument Panel Embellishers dont make a lot of difference?
Apologies, having read the brochure a bit more in detail and played around with the car configurator on the website, I can now see the change in dials as mentioned by dnw. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #1302
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Those are physical trim inserts in the dashboard, similar to the metal/wood effect options for the doors and center console. The black panel is an upgraded LCD display in the instrument cluster. Never thought about it that way before but they could be easily confused!

This is the upgraded black panel instrument display:

This is the black instrument panel embellisher:

(Credit to GenX3 whom's car I believe the above photo is from)
      03-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #1303
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ooh - just got a welcome email, my car was built last week (3 weeks early) and is status 9000 departed plant! now the shipping tracking lottery begins...
      03-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #1304
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Hope it gets there soon mate
Mine arrived early too - I'm picking it up on Wednesday

We'll have to compare photos as we seem to have an almost identical build
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #1305
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob
Hope it gets there soon mate
Mine arrived early too - I'm picking it up on Wednesday

We'll have to compare photos as we seem to have an almost identical build
Sure. Were you able to track yours with VIN via WW? I fear I will now be checking that site every day... Many thanks to sfax for the great how to on the first page.
      03-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #1306
plob
Private
Rep

I wasn't able to track mine at all I'm afraid. Having said that, I wonder if it was already in the UK when I was trying to track it as it arrived early. I hope you manager to track yours though.
If you can, don't get concerned if you lose the ship part way across the Atlantic - it does that when it isn't close to shore
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #1307
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Guys...any chance of telling me how to track...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #1308
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR40X3
Read the excellent first post in this thread by sfax
      03-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #1309
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Congrats dnw and plob... I bet you cannot wait.. damn June seems such a long time away :-(

Forgot to mention, dont forget to post pics ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #1310
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR40X3 View Post
Have you got a confirmed build date SR40X3 and your VIN?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #1311
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Nope not yet swf, do you?

Dnw...thanks...will track down that post
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #1312
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR40X3 View Post
Nope not yet swf, do you?

Dnw...thanks...will track down that post
Dont have a firm build date or VIN. The tentative build date on the order form says 16th April 2012. The dealer has said that it most probably will be brought forward...fingers crossed ...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #1313
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I am currently week 16 which I assume 16th April falls into ... maybe they will keep each other company on the way over ...

... Either that or we will compete for being brought forwards ... Doh!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #1314
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
I am currently week 16 which I assume 16th April falls into ... maybe they will keep each other company on the way over ...

... Either that or we will compete for being brought forwards ... Doh!
Prefer if they keep each other company rather than compete mate and both of us get the cars early. Am hoping the dealer comes back soon with an actual build date.
The more I read posts on here, the more confused I get in terms of the specification.
Manual or Auto? Leaning towards the Auto now
Pro Nav or not? Most probably not as I cannot justify a 2.5K addition.
Black Interior or Oyster with Black Sapphire ?? oh so many options ...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #1315
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Yes, company would be nice ... and yes, even better if they both move forwards ...

I guess it’s easy to say, but my philosophy was "in for a penny, in for a pound" ... makes choosing much easier!

If I could have had the PCD … I would have done that too!

Having driven a manual car, and then moved to an auto ... I would never go back ... especially living in London.

When it comes to Sat Nav, I always end up using my Tom Tom in my wife's 135i ... but that’s mostly because hers didn't come with full post code ... but that’s being fixed this Friday ... at outrageous expense I might add :-(

That said, there is something nice about an integrated solution, so I went for the Pro system in my new X3.

But yes, I share your dilemma, when you start to think of the cost it becomes much harder ...

… in fact I think I have taken almost everything, including the Speed Limit Info on the MY2013.

The exceptions being:

Cargo Net
Mobile Application Preparation (Which as I understand it is only to allow Facebook and Twitter integration into iDrive)
Lane Departure Warning (MY2013)

I know that a sensible person should be considering residual values etc. … but judging by my previous car, it will be 10 years old and trashed before I change it!

Last time I looked in the mirror I had “Mug” stamped on my forehead

… but for sure I will enjoy my car with no regrets (other than the lightness of my wallet).

Can’t possibly comment on colour … I am struggling with that …

However my thought process goes as follows …

My wife wants white … and so the inside needs to be black … job done!

But seriously … looking at the white vs. black, I like the way the black highlights show up against the white, where everything becomes a black hole when the car is black.

Suggestions of shades of grey made life complicated … and I do love the beige interior …

But wife and mother veto … so the decision is made!

I started a blog on http://x3orevoque.co.uk … and when I get my car I will review and chronicle all the features and maybe it will help future purchases …

Last edited by Horsey; 03-07-2012 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #1316
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

There are a few on here recently who have a similar build date so hope its good news for all of us.

Very good blog Horsey, will spend a bit more time reading up. Having almost ordered the Evoque and coming from a Freelander 2 to the X3, I have gone through quite a lot of comparisons of the cars.
They all have their negatives though the X3 had the least and hence I went for it.
I think we are settled on the exterior colour, but 'swmbo' wants the black interior so I dont think that going to change

Dont do a lot of driving in London hence me debating over a manual and auto..time will tell.
I cannot justify the Pro Nav as we do have a Sat Nav which I am happy with. But yes, the only reason for getting the Pro Nav is to have it all integrated and of course those few additional features it offers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #1317
plob
Private
Rep

I picked up my car last night - and I LOVE IT
It really is a joy to drive.

It was sitting there all clean and shiny in the delivery area of the showroom when I arrived. After doing the paperwork, I drove it out of the showroom with a big cheesy grin on my face.
It is everything I hoped it would be. It drives like a dream. The only problem is that the 3L engine seems to be willing me to go faster all the time. And every time I get to a bend, the chassis seems to be saying "come on, put your foot down - I can handle it".

So far, the only downside is the high beam assist (which doesn't seem to work at all). I'm not too concerned about this as I doubt I'll ever use it anyway.

The Xenon headlights are great and I love the adaptive headlight feature. I'll post photos soon (I have a couple of shaky phone camera shots for the time being). I just need to figure out how everything else works so I can write a review on it all. The dealer did explain everything to me but I don't really think I was listening

Cheers for now.
Plob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #1318
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Get the auto, the 8 speed ZF is quite simply the best mainstream auto box I've ever driven. Much better than Audi's DCT for example. You'll never go back to manual.

Also remember that Pro Nav pack is more than just sat nav. Bluetooth, voice control, black panel display (see above) etc are included. It is also the main option that is important / retains some value for resale.
      03-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #1319
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Agree with what has been said about autos: husband and I swapped to autos 8 years ago and wouldn't go back and BMW does it very well.

Thank you very much Plob. IF we finish negotiating an upgrade to M Sport (by the end of this week), that will be the exterior combo that I will go for (CB, alu ext trim, SP glass and standard M Sport wheels). Looks stunning. Would go for black interior though (oyster just not practical with a 2 year old boy ). It doesn't feel too "drug dealer"/pimp in the flesh does it (not sure that is the image that I am trying to go for )
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #1320
plob
Private
Rep

Hi QT
The interior doesn't seem drug dealer 'ish to me. To my mind, the oyster leather just gives it that air of luxury or finesse and has been well received by all who have seen it.
Good luck with your deliberations - I'm sure you'll love the car whatever you choose
Appreciate 0