BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #67
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEBobE View Post
Good work and informative thread btw! Much appreciated and keep it up!

So out of curiosity, i have a few questions. First of what is the "LOC"? In my BMW it has a fiber optic audio configuration which adds a hurdle to me adding a system. I've done all my vehicles in the past, like you, but never from a manufacturer not local in United States.

My assumption is i need to get some kind of converter to modify the fiber optic audio to put out RCA connections. What kind of input and feedback can you give me from your experience?
Thanks! “LOC” is line output converter. It converts the amplified speaker level (high) output to RCA (low) so your amp can process the signal.

Some amps have the ability to take high level but mine did not.

What year is your X3? I’m pretty sure I had fiber optic as well but I tapped from after the amp (high level) and got the signal from there.

Some others may have messed with the fiber but I read it is easy to break and a nightmare if you do. Perhaps others can shed some light on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 02:14 PM   #68
RickEBobE
~ SlickDikRick ~
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Garage List
2011 bmw 335is  [0.00]
Hey so yeah the LOC is the "specific signal connector" from radio to the head unit. My case it was a 4-pin connector which inserted similar to the Antenna connectors. From my research there is a few options for this LOC connector. Check the picture below for what I've found.

However, you are correct with your statement around the Fiber optic hurdle. There will be a necessity to convert the fiber optic system into a RCA system. So far, I haven't dived into that part yet to prepare it for an amplifier/audio system. That is next.

I reached out to a few reputable installation companies local and they all refuse to touch BMW's for this specific reason. This was news to me! Let me know what you find in your experience! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:06 PM   #69
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEBobE View Post
Hey so yeah the LOC is the "specific signal connector" from radio to the head unit. My case it was a 4-pin connector which inserted similar to the Antenna connectors. From my research there is a few options for this LOC connector. Check the picture below for what I've found.

However, you are correct with your statement around the Fiber optic hurdle. There will be a necessity to convert the fiber optic system into a RCA system. So far, I haven't dived into that part yet to prepare it for an amplifier/audio system. That is next.

I reached out to a few reputable installation companies local and they all refuse to touch BMW's for this specific reason. This was news to me! Let me know what you find in your experience! Good luck!
Highly recommend the TechnicPnP harness and LOC they pair with it, although there are other LOC options out there. What it boils down to is the voltage used in the X3 is like 26 volts or something wild like that and it has to be converted down to run to the amp. There are some amps that can apparently do that, but not many. Probably why audio shops don't mess with BMWs. Technic also has excellent customer service, they can probably talk you through what you'll need to do for install.

Here's my write up when I installed mine in my M40i. Swapped everything over when I got my MC a couple weeks ago and fitment was exactly the same... other than working around a spare in the new car lol

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28543666

I used OP's thread as reference when I installed mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:01 PM   #70
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I also have a thread here somewhere that includes technics LOV with a 12v included so you dont have to find a remote on power line. Highly recommend that.
Appreciate 0