BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Transmission issue when at very slow speeds

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
When I am backing out of my garage and come to a complete stop in my driveway, I can feel the transmission go into neutral (it seems like, but the indicator still says R). If I let my foot off the brake, the car takes a few seconds to re-engage reverse gear. Same things happens if I am pulling IN to the garage slowly, but in D of course - there is just a big lag for the gear to re-engage.

Is it just my car, or is this a X3M thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
ChipC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

It seems to be an X3MC thing. I only notice after a cold start (engine on high idle speed). Once the car warms up (engine at normal idle), it doesn’t do it any more. It seems to me to be an effort to get the engine to operating temperature as quickly as possible and is programmed that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Do you have the auto hold feature in the X3M?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I have a similar issue but I believe it is related to the Collision avoidance. Do you have any other cars next to you when you back out?

I recall it kicked in when going into my garage and wouldn’t move. I gave it gas and the back wheels spun and separated my race deck garage flooring and shot it a couple feet backwards.

I learned if I go slow or give it a second (or worst case put it in park or drive then back to reverse) it behaves.

This only happens when the collision warning is beeping fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:54 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Mine behaves the same and I like it. It's like half way between a dual clutch and torque converter in how it behaves. Works great for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
sys64738
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I have a similar issue but I believe it is related to the Collision avoidance. Do you have any other cars next to you when you back out?

I recall it kicked in when going into my garage and wouldn’t move. I gave it gas and the back wheels spun and separated my race deck garage flooring and shot it a couple feet backwards.

I learned if I go slow or give it a second (or worst case put it in park or drive then back to reverse) it behaves.

This only happens when the collision warning is beeping fast.
Actually, yes -- I think you hit the nail on the head. It is only when the collision avoidance system is engaged now that I really think about it. Sometimes I have to put it into park/gear again to get it to move as well. Sort of annoying, doesn't happen with any of my other cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

My X3M does the exact same thing. I haven't been able to nail down the exact circumstances of when it does it though. It seems random but there might be some particular circumstances that trigger the "hold" feature. The brake/hill descent hold is not engaged when this happens. Definitely seems to occur more when the engine is cold, i.e. initial start up in the garage. Need to actually give it some throttle to get the car to back out/start forward in the mornings and even then there is like a .5-1 second delay before the car starts moving. I find it pretty annoying. I was going to bring this up as a potential issue during my run-in-service (can't believe I've had the car since 2/29/20 and only have 1050 miles on it as of today) but if this is "normal" behavior I'll probably just let it slide.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
ThumperMCS
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp, MINI Cooper JCW GP

I think what you are talking about is related to cold start sequence. The ECU tries to keep the rev's high to heat the cat as quickly as possible. When you put car in reverse, revs drop to normal as the car starts to move...then when u stop backing up the revs go back to the cold start level, until you try and move again, whether it be backwards or engage D and drive forward.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:25 PM   #9
rocklord
Registered
United_States
Rep

The problem I have with this "neutral feature" is with a cold engine on an incline at a stoplight. The light turns green, remove my foot from the brake to the accelerator, and my vehicle drifts backwards until it decides to go into gear with a hard thud.

No, I don't use the hillhold feature. Shouldn't be necessary.

Didn't happen with my 2017 X3 3.5, but does with my 2020 X3M.

Don't like this "feature" BMWUSA.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS View Post
I think what you are talking about is related to cold start sequence. The ECU tries to keep the rev's high to heat the cat as quickly as possible. When you put car in reverse, revs drop to normal as the car starts to move...then when u stop backing up the revs go back to the cold start level, until you try and move again, whether it be backwards or engage D and drive forward.
Interesting observation. I will have to test this as I find it often happening when I back out of my garage then put it in drive to move it over.

However, it also still does happen as a result of the collision avoidance. It's hard to tell which is causing it as I always have my truck in the driveway when I am backing out the X3MC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklord View Post
The problem I have with this "neutral feature" is with a cold engine on an incline at a stoplight. The light turns green, remove my foot from the brake to the accelerator, and my vehicle drifts backwards until it decides to go into gear with a hard thud.

No, I don't use the hillhold feature. Shouldn't be necessary.

Didn't happen with my 2017 X3 3.5, but does with my 2020 X3M.

Don't like this "feature" BMWUSA.
I agree it is not a great "feature". From what you state it seems like it is related to the cold engine. I do not have many hills by me so once I start driving it is less of an issue.

I also notice the reaction time of the collision avoidance system is slow. I oftentimes run up to a traffic cone and stop within inches and when I put it in park the system then starts beeping to let me know I am going to hit it
Appreciate 0