BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

HELP, what an idiot move I just made...

was signing on to my ebay acct to post a classified ad for my friends car. Assoon as I type in ebay.com this message pops up saying because of increasing fraudulent activity, I needed to update my information and was asked to put in my name, DOB, social, debit number and pin. I was a bit worried once I saw pin, but ended up putting it in anyway since it deff lookd like ebay's page. Well like an idiot, afte putting all that info in and posting my ad, I decided to look further into that, and it seems as if it was the stupidest move I ever made cause thats probably some scam... So my question now is, SHOULD I B WORRIED? I emmediately called my banck and told them i needed to cancel my acct number. Gonna go in tom to get my new card, with new acct number and of course pin. However, they still have my name SS# and DOB. So.....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

u srs?

Name:  1271886557917.png
Views: 1157
Size:  7.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
was signing on to my ebay acct to post a classified ad for my friends car. Assoon as I type in ebay.com this message pops up saying because of increasing fraudulent activity, I needed to update my information and was asked to put in my name, DOB, social, debit number and pin. I was a bit worried once I saw pin, but ended up putting it in anyway since it deff lookd like ebay's page. Well like an idiot, afte putting all that info in and posting my ad, I decided to look further into that, and it seems as if it was the stupidest move I ever made cause thats probably some scam... So my question now is, SHOULD I B WORRIED? I emmediately called my banck and told them i needed to cancel my acct number. Gonna go in tom to get my new card, with new acct number and of course pin. However, they still have my name SS# and DOB. So.....
get out of your house now, leave everything behind

seriously, idk what bank you have but you wont get a new card or pin tmro, it will take 7-10 days
      04-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

ha, ever seen those commercials with the old lady talking with a bikers voice about the new chopper she just purchased?

Thats going to be you
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Are you getting a new SSN too? That is like a golden ticket to access everything you have.

Sorry to hear man, have to be a little more careful in the future. I would suggest enrolling in some sort of financial block or credit block to try and help ensure nothing happens without your knowledge, maybe lifelock.com?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

04-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
ha, ever seen those commercials with the old lady talking with a bikers voice about the new chopper she just purchased?

Thats going to be you
LOL....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

BAHAHAHAHAHa. The guy at the tackle shop said he needed last 4 digits of my social for my fishing license. I gave it to him. He then said " Oh, uh, I mean I need the whole thing." I laughed in his face. Needless to say he said he could do with just last 4. Inser surprise buttsex motivational here.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I told some barely intelligible representative from my mortgage company that I was NOT going to verify my info over the phone with her, despite she seemed to have details of my account. She actually got mad until I told her to respect my f'ing privacy. NEVER give out info, and spend the money on one of those credit protection agencies. I use pre-paid legal. No worries now. Trust me when I tell you this is only going to get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

LOL, I know guys, very dumb move, funny thing is I tried logging in last week and chose not to because of that. Instead today i did it. I know it takes 7-10 days to get a new card and pin, doent matter tho cause I already cancelled my card. I just cant use my debit card for about a week untill i get my new one. My bank was closed or trust me I would have gone right then and there, but as long as its cancelled nothing can really b done. Didnt ask fot my address tho, but my social and dob was. And like an idiot put it. I uully very careful and like others, I dont really give that out to ANYONE. But I figured the card that ebay had was my debit card, so its nothing new, they already have it, WRONG lol. So as far as my card and acct goes, im good, cant b used. But i still put my social in there. These fuking scammers r annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

the cards would be the least of my worries. giving my ssn, name and dob away is what i'd lose my shit over.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Pink Taco
Doesn't get Pinker than this...
Rep
Drives: e90

04-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

LifeLock CEO who had identity stolen defends service.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/24790921/
      04-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Im tinking ofgetting security theft from experian. thats my only option. I dont wanna risk it and wait and c if something happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post

Thats going to be you
sorry to laugh OP but its just too funny not to..hope nothing bad happens
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Dude you are so fucked.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Seriously, get Life Loc or another company that tracks your SS.

They're going to start opening credit cards, taking out loans, etc in your name. That shits probably already been sold on the internet. Be prepared for ass rape, and make sure you'ge got a company to protect your shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Dude, bruno... replace those dogs with me and a chick and that was my recollection of college
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
Dude, bruno... replace those dogs with me and a chick and that was my recollection of college
I am the dog.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I am the dog.
not near drunk enough for that to confuse me/make me think, gimme 4 hours assuming the Caps win
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #21
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
not near drunk enough for that to confuse me/make me think, gimme 4 hours assuming the Caps win
Watch'n the Bruins ova here..

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Yeah, you should be worried. You need to cancel your cards and change bank accounts. You should probably change all of your passwords for various websites (online banking, utilities, etc) as well. Any site where you pay online and save account information.

Hopefully, hopefully, nobody will try to use your social security number for anything. Because if you have to go through getting a new SS# it's going to be really unpleasant. But you can't really worry about that at this point, it's out of your hands. So just focus on the things you can do - change accounts, PINs, passwords, etc.

You should also put a freeze on your credit reports.

You may also want to change your driver's license number, but it's probably not worth doing unless there is confirmed fraud activity taking place under your name.

And if any fraud does happen, get police reports for all of it. Keep multiple copies in different places, because you don't want this stuff following you around and haunting you when you apply for credit or try to get a job. People who are victims of ID theft have to spend a lot of time proving their innocence. It sucks.

Check out the ID Theft board on this site, there are a lot of experts on there. http://www.creditboards.com/forums/
Appreciate 0