BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
ram air scoop and active grill removal

So I ran across a guy on Facebook that had done a intake scoops for the X3M behind the grill to funnel outside air into the air boxes on each side of the engine bay. Someone noted the M40i should have the same setup as well, just on the passenger side. So I contacted him and bought one to be a test mule and see if it'd work on our car. It works rather well for what it is, fitment was perfect, but it might not be for everyone. Due to the space it takes up it does NOT fit with the active grill shutters. it's too close to the back and will not allow them to open.

So I removed the slats on the passenger side to fit it in. Once I proved that it'd work and that the removed slats wouldn't cause an issue I just popped most off them off on both sides to match. I've heard rumors that if you remove ALL slats that you will get a CEL, but one guy on FB said you don't as long as the motor is still attached. IDK. but I know that I have all but the most inside slat on each side removed and have no CEL and it looks better. I'm not sure HOW much of a difference it makes, but when the engine is hot it should get the IAT's a touch cooler, especially for those with a closed box design to hold the incoming air. Anyhow. Here are pics and a link to my FB post if you want to see some questions and answers that were hashed on the G01 group.

Scoop out of the box

This is where it should go

removed the grill on passenger side and the far slats to get some working room

the hole that we are taking advantage of, there is a slatted cover that you can't see. sorry for the sun's glare.

pressed into the small top and large bottom tab on the hole (where the slatted grill rests), brace is hooked onto the crossbar (sorry, realized i didn't get that pictured), and the retention clip was pulled and used to secure the top tab of the scoop.

removed all but the inside most slat and reinstalled the grill

decided to just remove all but inside most slat on each side to make it even.

Here is is FB post I made about it where people asked questions and I responded if you want to read instead of ask. You need to join to see it, but anyone can join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2295...8376564395056/

I probably should have gotten some IAT reading before and after, but that honestly didn't occur to me until WAY after I installed it. it's not hard to remove, but not sure I want to bother at this point unless it's expressly warranted. I talked to the guy that made it and he'd consider making a revised model that's cut down to clear the active grills if enough of the M40i guys wanted one, but unless there are a lot it wouldn't be worth the effort. I dunno if the creator is willing to ship internationally, but I think only US or maybe US and UK have the shutters for the M40i, and the rest have open holes like the X3m....
VipinLJ1944.50
Lady Jane71202.50
      11-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Yeah I saw someone posting these for the X3M on here. Its 3D printed meaning once it gets hot it will deform. All it takes is a blow dryer to completely deform basic 3D printed material. In the summer months I dont see how this is going to last. But most definitely keep us updated. If someone comes out with this option that is proven to last I would be interested.
Appreciate 1
Bouxie153.00
      11-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Would having an air scoop in front like that risk sucking in water from rain/splashes?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Yeah I saw someone posting these for the X3M on here. Its 3D printed meaning once it gets hot it will deform. All it takes is a blow dryer to completely deform basic 3D printed material. In the summer months I dont see how this is going to last. But most definitely keep us updated. If someone comes out with this option that is proven to last I would be interested.
I'll have to look into that. only had a couple 80* days since install and obviously didnt affect anything yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Would having an air scoop in front like that risk sucking in water from rain/splashes?
no. put simply, it's not directly connected to the intake track. the scoop directs air into a tube of sorts (you saw the opening above)and its not completely solid. and that dumps into the opening for the air box. now the stock airbox has a panel filter that's higher than the opening so even if steady water was shot into it via a hose it'd just pool and leak out of the box. if the flow managed to be larger than then it's remotely possible. but to make that happen you have to be driving through standing water at grill height. on an aftermarket intake there is no real lower part of the box and as such it can't be trapped and will flow down the engine bay inner fenders.
      11-11-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
TXBDan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e, Cayman S, E30 racecar

I doubt that scoop does anything. That design assumes its like a scoop in the wind and is catching air and directing it to the hole. I don't think that's the case.

Assuming the grill vents are open, that area in front of the radiator is very high pressure at speed. There is no air "flow" to catch there, its just a big turbulent high pressure mess in front of the radiator. The high pressure air exerts a force in all directions that will force air down the stock holes.

If you want to test it, tape some pieces of yarn in the intake hole and record with a gopro. Compare both cases.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Sorry - but that is not going to do anything positive to the air inflow to your car.
Plus it makes the front look lopsided and awful - in my opinion

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing again.

Suby raises a good point on the durability in plastic.

The scoop definitely works, and there are countless implementations of this on other BMW platforms. I had similar scoops on my previous E92.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Thanks for sharing again.

Suby raises a good point on the durability in plastic.

The scoop definitely works, and there are countless implementations of this on other BMW platforms. I had similar scoops on my previous E92.
Any data to show this?
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

I thought the shutters close at freeway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
I doubt that scoop does anything. That design assumes its like a scoop in the wind and is catching air and directing it to the hole. I don't think that's the case.

Assuming the grill vents are open, that area in front of the radiator is very high pressure at speed. There is no air "flow" to catch there, its just a big turbulent high pressure mess in front of the radiator. The high pressure air exerts a force in all directions that will force air down the stock holes.

If you want to test it, tape some pieces of yarn in the intake hole and record with a gopro. Compare both cases.
^^^ TBXDan has a good grasp of aero ^^^
      04-06-2024, 02:38 AM   #11
JonasM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI

I modified the stock intake a little bit.

I welded an air soop to the original piece and mountet a grill on top to avoid coming trash into the air intake.

I also modified the grill to let more air through.

Lets see, if the iat drops for one degree 😀
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 12:56 AM   #12
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperAustriaM40i View Post
I modified the stock intake a little bit.

I welded an air soop to the original piece and mountet a grill on top to avoid coming trash into the air intake.

I also modified the grill to let more air through.

Lets see, if the iat drops for one degree 😀
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...&highlight=afe

It helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0