BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Nada86808
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 X3 xDrive 28i

Picking up a 2017 X3 xDrive 28i

About to buy a 2017 X3 xDrive 28i. It has high mileage (73k) but a clean history for accidents and a decent enough service history. Agreed a price of $17.3k. We are scheduling a test drive in the coming days, and the dealer (BMW of Smithtown, NY, USA) has told me they will 'do anything that needs doing' prior to purchase. I would assume that means tires, oil and a/c filter, the basics.

There is no warranty remaining owning to high mileage, but I have received a really good quote from Patriot Warranty ($1300 for 3yrs for their highest coverage and $0 co-pay). I'm interested to hear from this owner's forum, what are some of the things that we should look for when we inspect the car? And what has this model's reliability been like?

My main use will be pleasure, weekend trips etc., given we're no longer comfortable using zipcar or public transport for the time being owing to Covid. I think this may be covered elsewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find anything.

Hopefully it's of use as a new thread owing to a lot for 2017 model cars coming off lease and being put up for sale.Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada86808 View Post
About to buy a 2017 X3 xDrive 28i. It has high mileage (73k) but a clean history for accidents and a decent enough service history. Agreed a price of $17.3k. We are scheduling a test drive in the coming days, and the dealer (BMW of Smithtown, NY, USA) has told me they will 'do anything that needs doing' prior to purchase. I would assume that means tires, oil and a/c filter, the basics.

There is no warranty remaining owning to high mileage, but I have received a really good quote from Patriot Warranty ($1300 for 3yrs for their highest coverage and $0 co-pay). I'm interested to hear from this owner's forum, what are some of the things that we should look for when we inspect the car? And what has this model's reliability been like?

My main use will be pleasure, weekend trips etc., given we're no longer comfortable using zipcar or public transport for the time being owing to Covid. I think this may be covered elsewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find anything.

Hopefully it's of use as a new thread owing to a lot for 2017 model cars coming off lease and being put up for sale.Thanks in advance.
Find out if the ZF8 transmission fluid/pan have been replaced.

IF NOT....then you will need to have that done.
      06-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada86808 View Post

We bought a Certified 2017 X3 SDrive28i M-Sport. It had 29,600 miles though, a year left of factory 4 year warranty and CPO adds an additional one year/unlimited miles.

While I don't think there's anything you should need to check being that you're buying it from a BMW dealer, I also wouldn't assume they are going to be replacing anything it needs just because. Cars sold used are as-is. I always avoid a car that has had paint work. And sometimes you have to look really hard to find it.

My suggestion would be, if you can afford something with less miles, to go that route. Miles are pretty high for the year on the one you're looking at.

Previous poster mentioned the trans fluid, I don't know about the newer transmission stuff (I only have older BMW's) but they probably still have it labeled as 'lifetime' fluid, so don't expect to get a trans service out of them. Wouldn't hurt to ask I suppose.

Personally, I stay away from AWD cars. 1.) because where I live I don't need it, and 2.) added complexity to the car which means additional maintenance. Costly if you need a new transfer case.

Getting the last year of any car is generally the best choice since you hope all the quirks are worked out in the vehicle.

Can't comment too much on an additional warranty, I suppose it won't hurt to get. With your car being high miles you hope it's mostly freeway which means less wear and tear on everything.
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

I just picked up my first bimmer a month ago or so...
the same... 2017 X3 xDrive28i ... with 65K on the clock.

The dealer replaced both rear hubs before I took possession.... they were "humming" driving down the road... Service history mostly clean... and not too far from where I am, so I know a little about it's past life.... lots of highway based upon the timelines between oil changes I'm guessing.

Seems to be a pretty solid car... the '17 models in general are believed to have most all the bugs worked out by the time they were built is what I've seen reference to on multiple threads.

There's a thread in the general talking about after market warranties for cars outside of the factory warranty miles..... It's worth a quick read...
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Bowtiefanatc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have a 2017 35i M-Sport and absolutely love it.It's interesting to see the differences between my wife's '16 with same exact packages and mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
Nada86808
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 X3 xDrive 28i

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm going to pre-emptively ask the dealer to ensure these things are checked / dealt with. Will post back if there's anything interesting from the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
drmelrusso
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3 28i

safety 2017 xdrive x3 28i vs 35i

deciding on purchasing xdrive for kids. both 2017 models but one is 35i and one is 28i . is one kind safer than the other?
thanks
melanie
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmelrusso View Post
deciding on purchasing xdrive for kids. both 2017 models but one is 35i and one is 28i . is one kind safer than the other?
thanks
melanie
Not really....but 4 cycl is roughly 255hp and 6cycl is 300hp.