BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Voice Control Off Line

When I've tried to use Voice Control for navigation assistance the last couple of days (ex: take me to the nearest Exxon Station), I've gotten a verbal message that the system was off line. Function users; Is that a problem with my car, or is the service down from the provider (Nuance I think it is)?
      01-26-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
When I've tried to use Voice Control for navigation assistance the last couple of days (ex: take me to the nearest Exxon Station), I've gotten a verbal message that the system was off line. Function users; Is that a problem with my car, or is the service down from the provider (Nuance I think it is)?
It worked for me a few hours ago
      01-27-2019, 02:35 AM   #3
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Is other ConnectedDrive functions working in your car?
      01-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I'm not aware of Nav failure or Sat GPS failure in general. I'd suggest you check if there is an error with your Nav update.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Other connected drive functions are working. I can find the car with the Connected app and look at the latest 360 camera view.
      01-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Other connected drive functions are working. I can find the car with the Connected app and look at the latest 360 camera view.
Very odd. May be worth a visit to the dealership
      01-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #7
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I'm not aware of Nav failure or Sat GPS failure in general. I'd suggest you check if there is an error with your Nav update.
That's possible. It did update recently. The version screen shows that it has the 2019 1 regional update. I'll call the Genius guys tomorrow before I take it to the dealer. Thanks to those who responded for the help. I wanted to learn if it was just my car or a more widespread issue.
      01-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's possible. It did update recently. The version screen shows that it has the 2019 1 regional update. I'll call the Genius guys tomorrow before I take it to the dealer. Thanks to those who responded for the help. I wanted to learn if it was just my car or a more widespread issue.
Is your Nav working, besides the voice command?
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 01:49 AM   #9
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is your Nav working, besides the voice command?
Good question. I haven't used it for anything recently. The only way I found that there was an issue was that I was attempting to show off the voice command feature after lunch on Friday. I do have the map up on the screen, but I'll admit to not really looking at it when I've been out and about. I'll try to use the NAV tomorrow.
      01-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #10
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

All Appears to be Well

Quote:
Good question. I haven't used it for anything recently. The only way I found that there was an issue was that I was attempting to show off the voice command feature after lunch on Friday. I do have the map up on the screen, but I'll admit to not really looking at it when I've been out and about. I'll try to use the NAV tomorrow.
I had the car in for the application of some PPF on the 28th and didn't get it back until early evening yesterday (01/29). Navigation did work going home (selected via previous destinations list. I tried the voice feature for navigation twice this morning, and it is working as expected. So; never talked to BMW, but the car never lost it's connectivity as far as I know. Maybe some issues auto correct, or more likely, the recent NAV update wasn't completed and finished with additional drive time. Thanks again to those who responded to this thread.

Twilight Zone music playing: Everything is fine now.
      01-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You may chalk it up as another 'gremlins came and went' episode. :
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:46 PM   #12
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Quote:
I had the car in for the application of some PPF on the 28th and didn't get it back until early evening yesterday (01/29). Navigation did work going home (selected via previous destinations list. I tried the voice feature for navigation twice this morning, and it is working as expected. So; never talked to BMW, but the car never lost it's connectivity as far as I know. Maybe some issues auto correct, or more likely, the recent NAV update wasn't completed and finished with additional drive time. Thanks again to those who responded to this thread.

Twilight Zone music playing: Everything is fine now.
Background storage is my bet. It takes time to upgrade. There is a percentage of completion hidden in an options menu of the maps.