BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
BabyDriver2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 30i Alpine White

We love our 30i too!

In the world of forums with big brothers and their M40is, we 30i owners are often left wondering if we even bought a BMW!

My 30i brothers, that's no Prius in your drive way (which btw is great car for what it offers)! So let's see if we have enough love for the kiddo, and hence the post!

Lets share what we love about this one, what we use it for, quirks, wish had, wish hadn't, pictures and what not.

I will start- this is my first Bimmer and I haven't been happier with a car purchase. More so because its soooo different from the 2-door I have. Absolutely a pleasure driving--so smooth, no noise, almost no bumps. I test the car from time to time... from 117 mph personal top speed to 37.3 mpg fuel efficiency to fitting 20 bags of garden soil. This car does it all. When the time comes it will be perfect for dropping the kids off to soccer practice as well. :P

I hate - Bluetooth is not flawless. Sometimes it just wouldn't connect until you turn off the car/electronics completely. Location of head-up projection- I am only 5'8'', adjusting it means either its smack in the middle of the windshield or its lower portion gets cut off. Only option is to sit higher. Lastly, sometimes the car keeps the rev up in Comfort mode as well, giving this jerky Sport mode kind of feel. Not welcome when wifey rides along.
Appreciate 8
      08-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Sadly in the UK we get the 20i and the M40i - they offer a 30d but there isn’t a petrol alternative.
It’s a great engine!
Appreciate 3
      08-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

If BMW did the 30i in the UK - there would be a lot more of them!

If it had been an option for me - I may have ended up with that instead.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Here's a throwback to this spring - first drive up into the mountains with our 30i. Coming from an X5, I'm loving how nimble the X3 is through the twisties
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 11
Rbrown2758.00
ando1954.50
Max Well4692.00
Hedoniste3773.50
RegieX36.00
r33_RGSport12805.00
      08-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
AshX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thumbs up New 30i owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMacht View Post
Here's a throwback to this spring - first drive up into the mountains with our 30i. Coming from an X5, I'm loving how nimble the X3 is through the twisties
I have the exact same color combo! I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago and am still going thru the car. So much to learn. This is my first BMW and I am really enjoying the car.
Appreciate 1
ando1954.50
      08-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I love mine as well and echo others who think the 30i is more than enough power for my needs. Sadly, mine is going on 3 weeks in the shop while I wait to have failed ambient lighting replaced on the doors and a constantly rattling pano roof. The good/bad thing is they have me a c3 as a loaner but doesn’t have 1/10 of the options mine has and has the same failed ambient lighting, although not as obvious, and a slightly quieter rattling pano roof. Other than those things the new x3 is a pleasure to drive with plenty of room for passengers and stuff, still being fun to drive and offering great fuel economy.
Attached Images

Last edited by bmtespar; 08-13-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 4
      08-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDriver2019 View Post
In the world of forums with big brothers and their M40is, we 30i owners are often left wondering if we even bought a BMW!

My 30i brothers, that's no Prius in your drive way (which btw is great car for what it offers)! So let's see if we have enough love for the kiddo, and hence the post!

Lets share what we love about this one, what we use it for, quirks, wish had, wish hadn't, pictures and what not.

I will start- this is my first Bimmer and I haven't been happier with a car purchase. More so because its soooo different from the 2-door I have. Absolutely a pleasure driving--so smooth, no noise, almost no bumps. I test the car from time to time... from 117 mph personal top speed to 37.3 mpg fuel efficiency to fitting 20 bags of garden soil. This car does it all. When the time comes it will be perfect for dropping the kids off to soccer practice as well. :P

I hate - Bluetooth is not flawless. Sometimes it just wouldn't connect until you turn off the car/electronics completely. Location of head-up projection- I am only 5'8'', adjusting it means either its smack in the middle of the windshield or its lower portion gets cut off. Only option is to sit higher. Lastly, sometimes the car keeps the rev up in Comfort mode as well, giving this jerky Sport mode kind of feel. Not welcome when wifey rides along.
Congrats on your purchase, A G01 is a G01 in my book, no lesser or greater models, I would certainly have considered a 30i if available in UK

It is such a nice car to drive and interior is virtually the same in all versions, BMW has done a great job
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

I’ll chime in. I had the “top of the line” of the last three cars I owned (albeit at lower price points) so seeing all the M40i threads posts made me a tad envious; this is my first BMW after convincing my wife over the course of years that not all BMW drivers are (pick your word...) But I reminded myself I went into my latest round of car research cross-shopping with the X1, not the X3. I assumed it would be out of my target range, but I just optioned it judiciously. I added the DHP at the last minute and am glad I did; the handling is balanced but engaging and it tracks highway bends so well.

I went with Sensatec for price and durability but do miss the smell and slightly better breathability of leather, and the purple ambient lighting of my old Mini.

The car could pull harder below 3k rpms (the GLC 300 seemed better here) but the fuel economy is great- consistently over 30mpg hwy. I have a chassis resonance issue from 1500-2k RPMs that I hope the dealer can resolve next week, and am planning on replacing the front windows with acoustic glass to reduce wind noise, but otherwise the car is nicely damped and rattle-free.

We love the pano sunroof and the nicely opaque sunshade- blows away the ones in our 09 Cooper and 11 Q5. I’ll still end up tinting all around once I replace the front glass.

I am glad I found Almaretto to do some coding, because I’d assumed iDrive would let me read my texts on-screen when needed- and the build site didn’t specify that Wireless charging/hotspot was a dependency. All good now...though hoping no software updates are needed soon. I do wish there was much quicker/more seamless switching between iDrive and CarPlay modes for different media experiences. It took me a few pairings and un-pairings to get my custom-coded Office/Enhanced Bluetooth to detect texts.

All in all, very happy with the purchase and feel I got the best blend of features and experience for me, relative to the most current Q5, XC60 and 40, RDX, GLC and X1 that I tested. Oh, and lastly, I agree with you, OP, on the HUD position. I am the same height and would love to sit lower!
Appreciate 3
      08-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
BabyDriver2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenders View Post
I’ll chime in. I had the “top of the line” of the last three cars I owned (albeit at lower price points) so seeing all the M40i threads posts made me a tad envious; this is my first BMW after convincing my wife over the course of years that not all BMW drivers are (pick your word...) But I reminded myself I went into my latest round of car research cross-shopping with the X1, not the X3. I assumed it would be out of my target range, but I just optioned it judiciously. I added the DHP at the last minute and am glad I did; the handling is balanced but engaging and it tracks highway bends so well.

I went with Sensatec for price and durability but do miss the smell and slightly better breathability of leather, and the purple ambient lighting of my old Mini.

The car could pull harder below 3k rpms (the GLC 300 seemed better here) but the fuel economy is great- consistently over 30mpg hwy. I have a chassis resonance issue from 1500-2k RPMs that I hope the dealer can resolve next week, and am planning on replacing the front windows with acoustic glass to reduce wind noise, but otherwise the car is nicely damped and rattle-free.

We love the pano sunroof and the nicely opaque sunshade- blows away the ones in our 09 Cooper and 11 Q5. I’ll still end up tinting all around once I replace the front glass.

I am glad I found Almaretto to do some coding, because I’d assumed iDrive would let me read my texts on-screen when needed- and the build site didn’t specify that Wireless charging/hotspot was a dependency. All good now...though hoping no software updates are needed soon. I do wish there was much quicker/more seamless switching between iDrive and CarPlay modes for different media experiences. It took me a few pairings and un-pairings to get my custom-coded Office/Enhanced Bluetooth to detect texts.

All in all, very happy with the purchase and feel I got the best blend of features and experience for me, relative to the most current Q5, XC60 and 40, RDX, GLC and X1 that I tested. Oh, and lastly, I agree with you, OP, on the HUD position. I am the same height and would love to sit lower!
Awesome!!

Yeah X1 was what I started with too. But didn't test drive that or any other, not even an X3 till I signed the papers! Crazy I know. The new 2019 just looked too good!

Has anyone felt the Lane Departure Warning to be too soft? I almost cant make that out amongst the road vibrations!

On the good side, the cross traffic alert was pretty noticeable, i.e. when another vehicle crosses you while reversing. I almost want to say that the car braked itself but not sure...

Coding- need to explore that. Anyway you can remote start the car and run the AC and not just ventilate? Texas you know!!
Unlock beep?

Few pics from the first few days...
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
AshX31.50
ando1954.50
RegieX36.00
      08-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
Jairgg9
Mexico
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30iA X Line

X3 30i Xdrive Lowering springs

Hi, anyone knows if there are lowering spring and wheels spacer available for x3 30i xdrive model? i only found for x3 m40, thanks for the advise.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDriver2019 View Post
Has anyone felt the Lane Departure Warning to be too soft? I almost cant make that out amongst the road vibrations!

Coding- need to explore that. Anyway you can remote start the car and run the AC and not just ventilate? Texas you know!!
Unlock beep?
LDW was discussed here, people have their wheel changed but if I remember correctly, not everyone was satisfied even after that.

Remote AC is not possible AFAIK.
      08-24-2018, 01:50 AM   #12
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Unlock beep is in iDrive, under vehicle settings/doors/key
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yep, defiantly like my 30i too! It's been trouble free for about nine months. My favorite features are the Surround View w/ 3D view, Head up Display and seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Here is our dynamic duo - a sapphire black on black i30 m sport exec, and our oxford white Quigley Ford Transit 4x4. I prefer driving the i30 but the Transit has a bit more room in it, and puts on a good cruise. It's just that I find myself gesturing to the radio, etc, etc. We have our first scheduled service coming up in a few days. No issues at all not one. Once you learn the power curve and transmission tricks you can get some solid performance out of this car too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 08-25-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
ando1954.50
      08-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

I loved the 2018 30i I ordered for my wife so much, I ordered an MY19 M40i for me. Same color, too (300).

If you drive them back-to-back, it's astonishing how different they are -- and how amazing the 30i is. The 30i is quick and athletic. I'm struck by the fact that in the USA, the 30i is the "base" car but overseas, you can get an 18d or even a 20i. So the USA-spec 30i is no slacker in terms of performance or luxury.

I thought after I'd gotten my M40i I wouldn't enjoy the 30i as much. But I was wrong. They are different cars and both are brilliant in different ways.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 5
      08-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #16
Hendoo
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping for X3 or X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
I loved the 2018 30i I ordered for my wife so much, I ordered an MY19 M40i for me.
How would you compare the ride between the two in comfort mode?

Some folks say the M40i has a lot harsher ride, even in comfort mode.

But not many folks get seat time in both... so you are better qualified to compare them.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #17
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendoo View Post
Quote:
I loved the 2018 30i I ordered for my wife so much, I ordered an MY19 M40i for me.
How would you compare the ride between the two in comfort mode?

Some folks say the M40i has a lot harsher ride, even in comfort mode.

But not many folks get seat time in both... so you are better qualified to compare them.

Thanks!
Interesting question.

My 30i has ZPP which in the USA brings 19" wheels with all-season RFTs. When I configured the M40i, I specified 22U — also 19" all-season RFTs.

It turned out that both cars came with identical tires, Bridgestones. This means that differences in ride aren't due to the wheels or tires.

As you may have heard, roads here in New England are terrible. Both cars have that BMW-ish ride: a firmness that isn't harsh as long as you avoid potholes and the worst roads (to the extent you can).

The 30i is, IMO, a scosch softer but not so much that the M40i feels harsh. Both are daily-driver comfortable.

The lesson I take away from this unique chance to compare two different cars on the same wheels and tires is, don't stuff 20" or 21" wheels onto any X3. The 19"s look great (both as 698s on the 30i and 698Ms on the M40i), nobody needs the 155MPH limiter with the M40i's default high-performance RFTs and the tires will last longer due to higher UTQG tread life ratings.

Given the nature of people who post here, it's likely they will disagree that 19"s are "right" on the M40i. But my cars are daily drivers, not concours cars. I care more about comfort, cost and durability than making sure that tires are just rubber bands on ginormous wheels.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 6
ando1954.50
nogren327.00
Fenders66.00
Hendoo51.00
sygazelle11113.50
      08-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Both during test drives throughout early 2018, and after living with my M40i for a week now, I am surprised how comfortable it is for general driving. I have the 21" wheels. I also test drove an M40i with the 20" wheels and liked it, but never had a chance to drive either model with 19" wheels. But if it's this comfortable and livable on 21" wheels and tires I'd say that no matter what you choose, the M40i will be a fine daily driver for most people. I doubt the 20" and 19" wheels trade off very much handling prowess -- that really seems to be baked into the excellent suspension and steering.

Those that are long time BMW owners may know that BMW sort of lost their way with steering and handling in recent years. The current (soon to be replaced) 3-series is a perfect example -- what used to be a class benchmark was endowed with generic feeling handling and steering that had very little emotion. It was competent but no longer remarkable or unique. Some improvements were made with the LCI, but nothing major enough to really matter. I felt that way about the previous generation X3 as well -- I had test driven one a few years after they came out, and it may as well have been a VW as far as ride and handling. Felt like an appliance. I lost interest immediately and ended up with an Acura MDX. Hard to believe I would choose that over a BMW, given my history, but it had some character/soul and you could feel the classic Honda handling, which long time auto enthusiasts will also recognize and enjoy.

The G01 X3 returns to the classic BMW feel, which you will recognize right away if you're old enough to remember. Taut but smooth and damped, and loads of fun. Feels like you're sitting down in between the four wheels and you get wonderful feedback from all four corners of the vehicle. There is feeling, character, and emotion in the handling and you notice it every time you get behind the wheel.

True M models tend to be a tough proposition for daily driving, but any of the mainstream M40i models are still very close to the mark for a daily driver. They tend to stay well on the "livable" side of the line as a daily driver and are not that much different than their base model stablemates.
Appreciate 3
Yobyot490.00
M3X3Z326.00
rem40i132.00
      08-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
skier219 very nice writeup, but this thread is about 30i There are enough threads about M40i.
      08-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #20
Chapter Two
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3

Good to hear. I knew I didn’t need all that the M adds, but one always wonders about the road not taken. I’ve been very, very happy with my choice.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #21
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Interesting question.

My 30i has ZPP which in the USA brings 19" wheels with all-season RFTs. When I configured the M40i, I specified 22U — also 19" all-season RFTs.
How have your wife’s Bridgestone tires been wearing and sounding on the 30i? Are they the Dueler HP Sport?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
BabyDriver2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I loved the 2018 30i I ordered for my wife so much, I ordered an MY19 M40i for me. Same color, too (300).

If you drive them back-to-back, it's astonishing how different they are -- and how amazing the 30i is. The 30i is quick and athletic. I'm struck by the fact that in the USA, the 30i is the "base" car but overseas, you can get an 18d or even a 20i. So the USA-spec 30i is no slacker in terms of performance or luxury.

I thought after I'd gotten my M40i I wouldn't enjoy the 30i as much. But I was wrong. They are different cars and both are brilliant in different ways.
I agree. I recently drove the M40i and it was very very good. However I always expected "the road not taken" to be like the M3 or the M235i which it is not (I know it's an SUV!!).

The difference is obvious but do I need it? The 30i is more than enough for the kind of driving I do. Quick enough for all realistic traffic maneuvers. Track, maybe not. The Sports mode gives me all the rush I need from this car.
Appreciate 0