BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2024, 07:23 PM   #1
lbridgham7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i

Garage List
2016 X3 35i  [0.00]
N55 X3 35i upgrades

I recently purchased a 2016 X3 35i and was looking into making some modifications. This included a new intercooler as well as the charge pipes that go along with it, upgrading to a high flow air filter and a high flow catted down pipe. I've done a bit of research and read up on a few other threads about VRSF intercoolers and the only model that seems to fit is the VRSF Perfomance HD however people questions their build quality and timing drop. Is it worth it to go with VRSF or should I look elsewhere at a cheaper price? Also any suggestions on the upgraded charge pipes, down pipes and air filter?

https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-5-stre...5-f26-n55.html
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:48 PM   #2
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
VRSF is pretty well known especially in the N55/BMW community. Good fit, good quality and pretty proven. I haven’t tried the intercooler but I liked the downpipe when I had it on an N55 some time ago.

I have used RVG chargepipe and it fits well, works well.

I would love if you kept us updated with this because I would love to see how an N55 X3 would perform with these upgrades.

Maybe once my wife grows out of it, I’ll take it over and make it a sleeper X3…
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:31 PM   #3
lbridgham7
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2016 X3 35i  [0.00]
Yeah we will see how it goes. Kinda my first time messing around with cars but I'd say I have some basic knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 07:01 PM   #4
ClutchFC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

I don't mind VR-Speed products at all, budget friendly and satisfying performance from my personal experience. Currently running a 5in step and catless downpipe from them on my X3, and again, ran their 7in intercooler, downpipes, and intake inlets on my past 335i and have zero complaints. Intercooler might weigh more than others but I don't know, I've never had deep enough pockets to afford a different intercooler to compare. IMO you can't go wrong with the company.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:32 PM   #5
lbridgham7
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2016 X3 35i  [0.00]
CEL after install

I tried uploading the cold start videos before and after but couldn't get it to work from my camera roll. Anyways, the new dp sounds great, not a huge difference in the cold start just a bit louder and throatier once the revs come down. I really notice it when I get on it under a bridge or in a tunnel, definitely more turbo noise and better sounding over all. I drove the car for about 2 weeks with no issues or warning lights however one day I randomly received a CEL on my dash. Is this most likely due to the catted down pipe or could there be another issue? I popped the hood and tighten down the V band clamp from the turbo to the dp to make sure there was no exhaust leak but have yet to get under the car to check the dp to exhaust pipe connection. Is it typical to receive a CEL on a N55 even with a catted dp?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:32 PM   #6
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridgham7 View Post
I tried uploading the cold start videos before and after but couldn't get it to work from my camera roll. Anyways, the new dp sounds great, not a huge difference in the cold start just a bit louder and throatier once the revs come down. I really notice it when I get on it under a bridge or in a tunnel, definitely more turbo noise and better sounding over all. I drove the car for about 2 weeks with no issues or warning lights however one day I randomly received a CEL on my dash. Is this most likely due to the catted down pipe or could there be another issue? I popped the hood and tighten down the V band clamp from the turbo to the dp to make sure there was no exhaust leak but have yet to get under the car to check the dp to exhaust pipe connection. Is it typical to receive a CEL on a N55 even with a catted dp?
Yes, you can get a tune and that will remove the CEL.
As far as I know only a few catted DP's don't cause a CEL(if at all). I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that you will get a CEL regardless if you don't tune.
Appreciate 0