BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
SevM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x4m

X4M Competition Break in Service HELP P

can you guys please help me out. I took my car in for screen dimming issues at 300 miles right after i bought the day (after 3 days after getting it) and BMW did a brake in service without my authorization or consent at 300 miles. I did not look at the documents when the car was returned back to me because they advised me there was no issue with the dimming. Now i took my car in at 1080 miles to another dealership near my house and they are telling me the service was already performed at 300 miles. What can I do? I never wanted my car to have my break in service at 300 miles. Please help me out.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Call BMW Customer service and file a complaint.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Call BMW Customer service and file a complaint.
Yup call them

It's not like they will undo the break in service. My guess is they do another break in service for you at best.

When you bring in your car for service they print off a work order that you sign. It's really your fault for not reading what you were signing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #4
joshtammi
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Competition

I had a similar issue, albeit I am in Australia, but I reckon our dealers are a little bit stricter from what I've read over the years when it comes to things like warranty and such.

When my F97 was delivered brand new with 12km on it, the Break in service for 2000km was already completed, which I didn't notice until I saw the "Next service due in 15000km" whatever message pop up. Checked the service history and saw that it was ticked up as completed.

I was pretty annoyed, mostly because I think the run in period is important in the M car and to have it already completed meant if I wasn't aware this was a thing (previous F82 owner so I was), it would have gone unnoticed.

I am also not sure, but perhaps someone can answer me? Do BMW run different oil in the engine and differential during the first 2000km? Because that would have a very big impact to running it early.

In any case, I went back to my dealer, and the service representative said "oh thats odd" and the other lady said "yeah that isn't right, it MUST be done at 2000km"

They then went on to say it was probably an accidental mark up, and they never actually did the service (which is even more worrying to my point above that if I didn't know about it, it wouldn't have been serviced until 15000km). They made a note of it on file, and at 2000km I dropped it off and they serviced it as per the book. The one issue they can't fix, is the digital logbook apparently cannot be edited, so i have a digital stamp saying it was done at 12km, and a paper copy saying it was done at 2000km. A bit annoying but at least it is done.

My car is also under a service plan so I do not pay for maintenance.

Speak to your advisor, i think you'll be fine and they will redo it at 2000km, infact in your position, I would demand it, or at least make them note on file the service was carried out early, against your wishes by BMW and they refused to redo the service at 2000km, so that way any warranty on the engine downtrack, they can't try and screw you by saying you didn't follow service guidelines.

P.S please change 2000km to 1200mi as required.

Cheers from Downunder!
Appreciate 1
SevM8.50
      09-25-2020, 01:49 AM   #5
SevM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtammi View Post
I had a similar issue, albeit I am in Australia, but I reckon our dealers are a little bit stricter from what I've read over the years when it comes to things like warranty and such.

When my F97 was delivered brand new with 12km on it, the Break in service for 2000km was already completed, which I didn't notice until I saw the "Next service due in 15000km" whatever message pop up. Checked the service history and saw that it was ticked up as completed.

I was pretty annoyed, mostly because I think the run in period is important in the M car and to have it already completed meant if I wasn't aware this was a thing (previous F82 owner so I was), it would have gone unnoticed.

I am also not sure, but perhaps someone can answer me? Do BMW run different oil in the engine and differential during the first 2000km? Because that would have a very big impact to running it early.

In any case, I went back to my dealer, and the service representative said "oh thats odd" and the other lady said "yeah that isn't right, it MUST be done at 2000km"

They then went on to say it was probably an accidental mark up, and they never actually did the service (which is even more worrying to my point above that if I didn't know about it, it wouldn't have been serviced until 15000km). They made a note of it on file, and at 2000km I dropped it off and they serviced it as per the book. The one issue they can't fix, is the digital logbook apparently cannot be edited, so i have a digital stamp saying it was done at 12km, and a paper copy saying it was done at 2000km. A bit annoying but at least it is done.

My car is also under a service plan so I do not pay for maintenance.

Speak to your advisor, i think you'll be fine and they will redo it at 2000km, infact in your position, I would demand it, or at least make them note on file the service was carried out early, against your wishes by BMW and they refused to redo the service at 2000km, so that way any warranty on the engine downtrack, they can't try and screw you by saying you didn't follow service guidelines.

P.S please change 2000km to 1200mi as required.

Cheers from Downunder!
I called BMW North America and complained about it. While the first service was being done on my car which was a couple days old BMW North America had all the records and they saw apparently that they had done the break in service and they didn't say anything or didn't know anything about it... I then called the dealer talk to the rep at service and he was trying to tell me that I agreed it wish they never happen. He then started giving me BS and said let me transfer you to my manager because he couldn't answer my questions. So then the manager acknowledge that it shouldn't have been done so fast and apologized and said he would redo the service. I thought that they would just get my car and park it and say it's done... so he agreed to record them servicing my car just so I can have proof. I will update you guys now what happens tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
joshtammi
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevM View Post
I called BMW North America and complained about it. While the first service was being done on my car which was a couple days old BMW North America had all the records and they saw apparently that they had done the break in service and they didn't say anything or didn't know anything about it... I then called the dealer talk to the rep at service and he was trying to tell me that I agreed it wish they never happen. He then started giving me BS and said let me transfer you to my manager because he couldn't answer my questions. So then the manager acknowledge that it shouldn't have been done so fast and apologized and said he would redo the service. I thought that they would just get my car and park it and say it's done... so he agreed to record them servicing my car just so I can have proof. I will update you guys now what happens tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses
Good to hear. It's pretty clear cut its a 2000km/1200mi service and must be done then. So really they shouldn't have any way of backing out of it. If you actually want to be sure they do it, you could put a security sticker on your oil cap so when they take it off it gets damaged. Then you'll know.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
4151zero
HOV clogger
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 and i3 BEV

Very interesting! I just dropped mine off for 1200 RIS, and the SA didn't seem to know why I kept asking about the break in service and oil/diff fluids, etc. He stated the 'key' scan only says I'm due for an OIL change and nothing else. Another SA overheard us and started looking at my paperwork, and also saw nothing indicated a RIS was due!

I told that person I was specifically there for this RIS, nothing else. I hope something strange isn't hidden in my vehicle records like an unusual early service
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

So m cars ship with a special break-in oil. Which is why the oil needs to be changed so early. Your car has regular oil in it now, no need for another oil change for probably 10k or so miles. It will do nothing to have another service unless they were to put break-in oil for a few hundred more miles
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
4151zero
HOV clogger
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 and i3 BEV

my car was built in 2019, and currently at 1023 miles
Appreciate 0