BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-17-2024, 11:36 AM   #1
Gorst
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Acura Rdx / 2023 BMW X4

Remote window closing

I can close the window with my fob when in near proximity. Is there an update to do that through the My BMW app?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 07:03 AM   #2
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorst View Post
I can close the window with my fob when in near proximity. Is there an update to do that through the My BMW app?
You cannot raise or lower the windows through the My BMW app. Would be nice if you could though.
Appreciate 1
Gorst29.00
      02-18-2024, 03:09 PM   #3
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

There will never be an update that allows you to close the windows from the app. It is a safety issue in all cars so they do not allow you to do it unless you are physically present.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:17 PM   #4
Desp23
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X3  [0.00]
I noticed that I can lower the windows using keyfob further away, but cannot close it unless I'm essentially next to the car. Is this normal? In my other cars, there was no differnce in the distance for remotely controlling the windows
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 07:39 AM   #5
Gorst
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

The reason I brought this up is because of a recent situation where my BMW app showed my window open. Of course not a big problem when you are in a house. But in a condo it’s a different story. Again not a big deal but would be nice to have. Apparently in Europe this is possible. I do understand the safety concern, but didn’t the Auto world solve this way back that the windows stop as soon as they meet a little bit of resistance.
The interesting part to all of this is that I can start my vehicle (underground parking) through the app from way up 15 floors. In fact you can start it from just about anywhere. Apparently no safety concerns here. Not complaining just saying.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 07:41 AM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

It is possible to do so from your key remote IF you code it in using bimmercode. I am not aware of any other way.
      02-20-2024, 08:22 AM   #7
Gorst
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
It is possible to do so from your key remote IF you code it in using bimmercode. I am not aware of any other way.
Thanks. And that’s what I was thinking of. It’s probably in the bimmer expert mode, so a little guidance would be helpful.
The other thing I would like to mention for safety reasons, is that I can always check the surroundings with my remote camera before triggering the window closing through the app.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:52 AM   #8
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Been looking at rivians to replace the X3, you can roll their windows of from the app.
The remote start thing is funny, Acura had a big problem with this a few years back, people were remote starting their cars in their garages and asphyxiating themselves…
I guess there hasn’t been enough litigation on this in the U.S. yet to scare the manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:28 AM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
Been looking at rivians to replace the X3, you can roll their windows of from the app.
The remote start thing is funny, Acura had a big problem with this a few years back, people were remote starting their cars in their garages and asphyxiating themselves…
I guess there hasn’t been enough litigation on this in the U.S. yet to scare the manufacturers.
remote start is arguably my favorite feature... hearing the exhaust outside on cold start is cool... dont give them ideas, if they axe this, i am going to have to code it back in lol
      02-20-2024, 10:22 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks. And that’s what I was thinking of. It’s probably in the bimmer expert mode, so a little guidance would be helpful.
Nope...this should be on the EASY side in the Bimmercode app. To verify...simply go to their website and click on the SUPPORTED CARS for your BMW model. You should get a list...and when you click on the heading...it reveals all the things you can code (on the easy side) and it also reveals which module that it can be found.

Example of some of the things listed under CONVENIENT CLOSE :
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10161.00
      02-20-2024, 02:38 PM   #11
Gorst
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Nope...this should be on the EASY side in the Bimmercode app. To verify...simply go to their website and click on the SUPPORTED CARS for your BMW model. You should get a list...and when you click on the heading...it reveals all the things you can code (on the easy side) and it also reveals which module that it can be found.

Example of some of the things listed under CONVENIENT CLOSE :
Thanks for the info.
However, after giving it some more thought it is BMW that has to make it available through the app. There is nothing that we can do to change that if it is not showing in the app.
Again, I have no problem using the Fob to open and close the windows when I am within 3-4 metres of the vehicle. What I am asking for is being able to use the app to do all this when I am for example sitting in a restaurant, it started raining and one of the windows is half open. And of course I am 2-3 blocks away from the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:58 PM   #12
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
However, after giving it some more thought it is BMW that has to make it available through the app. There is nothing that we can do to change that if it is not showing in the app.
Again, I have no problem using the Fob to open and close the windows when I am within 3-4 metres of the vehicle. What I am asking for is being able to use the app to do all this when I am for example sitting in a restaurant, it started raining and one of the windows is half open. And of course I am 2-3 blocks away from the vehicle.
not possible and wouldn't be recommended in my opinion in your scenario...

the delay on the app and the signal being sent is FAR longer than the immediate remote scenario (your car would be already wet by that time)... the remote works from very far (maybe not 2 to 3 blocks but far enough)... also why would you ever leave your window half open?
      02-20-2024, 04:48 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
The scenario you gave can also be a coding parameter on some BMWs. I’m not positive if it works on the G01/G02…but some of the late F chassis BMWs can be coded to close the sunroof (I’m not sure about the windows) by coding some of the parameters for the rain sensor. In some BMW markets (especially where it rains a lot or rain clouds crop up on many afternoons)…the cars already come with this option activated.

EDIT: see pic from a G05 X5’s iDrive selection … this forum member is from Europe

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0