BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2024, 01:45 PM   #1
gym_carrey
There's always something.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
HK sound system crackling sound

2020 M40i with 19,400kms.

Since the day I have taken delivery of this vehicle I’m not sure why but certain songs produce this crackling sound at higher volumes.

Some songs make the speakers pop/crackle and some just make them crackle.

For demonstration purposes, I chose White Iverson by Post Malone.

Here’s a video at 50% volume

Now, here’s the video at 70%+ volume

It is very evident at higher volumes.

When the bass kicks in, the pops and crackles are present but sound a little faded due to bass but yes, it is there.

I am using CarPlay and have Dolby Atmos on with high quality streaming on and EQ on acoustic.

Last time I took it to the dealership in regards to issues with iDrive restarting during phone calls on CarPlay, the Master Tech said “These are your device issues, we recommend you update to the latest software”.

They were unable to replicate the issue and I fear this will be the same.

If anyone has a possible fix for this, I would highly appreciate it!

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:26 PM   #2
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
Try play it using native iDrive and see if the issue still exists. That can help isolate the issue a bit better.
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 08:19 AM   #3
Chitown_vroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 m40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_carrey View Post
2020 M40i with 19,400kms.

Since the day I have taken delivery of this vehicle I’m not sure why but certain songs produce this crackling sound at higher volumes.

Some songs make the speakers pop/crackle and some just make them crackle.

For demonstration purposes, I chose White Iverson by Post Malone.

Here’s a video at 50% volume

Now, here’s the video at 70%+ volume

It is very evident at higher volumes.

When the bass kicks in, the pops and crackles are present but sound a little faded due to bass but yes, it is there.

I am using CarPlay and have Dolby Atmos on with high quality streaming on and EQ on acoustic.

Last time I took it to the dealership in regards to issues with iDrive restarting during phone calls on CarPlay, the Master Tech said “These are your device issues, we recommend you update to the latest software”.

They were unable to replicate the issue and I fear this will be the same.

If anyone has a possible fix for this, I would highly appreciate it!

TIA.
I would also try toggling Atmos off and test that way. My experience has been that the Atmos implementation on anything other than Apple hardware is suspect at best.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 09:14 AM   #4
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Hmm, blown speaker(s) perhaps? I found this definition online:

HOW DO YOU RECOGNIZE A BLOWN SPEAKER?
If you have blown the speaker, you will often hear it immediately. Instead of a pure sound, you'll hear a distorted or even crackling sound that does not disappear even at a lower volume.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:46 PM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

If it were me - I'd start to use deduction to rule out the obvious. Put a good quality version of the track on a USB stick and play it from there -rule out the CarPlay.

BTW do you have a device capable of playing Atmos somewhere when you use somewhere else? If not there's no point (I never could discern a difference personally when using AirPods Pro either so binned it as an idea :-).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 04:02 AM   #6
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Sounds like distortion to me.

What version of iOS ? I’m not sure any of that even applies to CarPlay audio over WiFi.

AFAIK Apple codec support on the G01 is limited, so we appear to get lossy AAC, rather than lossless ALAC. The bandwidth using CarPlay via WiFi is also limited to 48/16 for what it’s worth, and if lossless this is around audio CD level quality (44.1/16).

As suggested, I’d try a high quality FLAC version of the same title via a USB memory stick, just to compare.

Edit

Played a version of that title via iDrive Spotify, and didn’t experience the same audio distortion issue as your video. IMO the title employs dynamic range compression so everything is loud, and it’s not a title I would enjoy playing loud lol.

Your iDrive audio settings may (?) play some part in the issue. Afaik Apple EQ has no affect on CarPlay in the G01.

Also tried Apple Music via CarPlay and iPhone Music Atmos and EQ settings have zero effect as I thought (iOS 17.3) on CarPlay. No distortion at around 50-70%, but too loud for me on this title at >60%.

Last edited by avi66; 02-04-2024 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:13 AM   #7
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

I played the same song on carplay via apple music with the same settings as the OP just to see if those non-relevant ones would introduce any distortion. Sound was clean and clear of any distortion.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:38 AM   #8
gym_carrey
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSpeed View Post
Try play it using native iDrive and see if the issue still exists. That can help isolate the issue a bit better.
I tried using iDrive only. USB and bluetooth.

Bluetooth made zero difference.

So did USB (start the video at full volume to hear the sound)

No difference at all.

Also, I wanted to add that regardless if your engine is on or just in ignition, this crackling sound is evident.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:41 AM   #9
gym_carrey
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Hmm, blown speaker(s) perhaps? I found this definition online:

HOW DO YOU RECOGNIZE A BLOWN SPEAKER?
If you have blown the speaker, you will often hear it immediately. Instead of a pure sound, you'll hear a distorted or even crackling sound that does not disappear even at a lower volume.
Blown speakers in 19,400kms?

And I know the complete backstory of the vehicle when I bought it at 9,800kms. The elderly couple didn’t even listen to music much.

Reason why I am suspecting it is something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:47 AM   #10
gym_carrey
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
If it were me - I'd start to use deduction to rule out the obvious. Put a good quality version of the track on a USB stick and play it from there -rule out the CarPlay.

BTW do you have a device capable of playing Atmos somewhere when you use somewhere else? If not there's no point (I never could discern a difference personally when using AirPods Pro either so binned it as an idea :-).
In Airpods Pro 2nd gen, in my opions the Atmos surround sound does make a difference.

What I have also noticed is that when you download songs that have the “Dolby Atmos” stamp in Apple Music, after 60% volume you do notice quite a bit of difference.

Much more of a cinema effect with lots of surround. Not much of a fan of punchy bass.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:53 AM   #11
gym_carrey
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Sounds like distortion to me.

What version of iOS ? I’m not sure any of that even applies to CarPlay audio over WiFi.

AFAIK Apple codec support on the G01 is limited, so we appear to get lossy AAC, rather than lossless ALAC. The bandwidth using CarPlay via WiFi is also limited to 48/16 for what it’s worth, and if lossless this is around audio CD level quality (44.1/16).

As suggested, I’d try a high quality FLAC version of the same title via a USB memory stick, just to compare.

Edit

Played a version of that title via iDrive Spotify, and didn’t experience the same audio distortion issue as your video. IMO the title employs dynamic range compression so everything is loud, and it’s not a title I would enjoy playing loud lol.

Your iDrive audio settings may (?) play some part in the issue. Afaik Apple EQ has no affect on CarPlay in the G01.

Also tried Apple Music via CarPlay and iPhone Music Atmos and EQ settings have zero effect as I thought (iOS 17.3) on CarPlay. No distortion at around 50-70%, but too loud for me on this title at >60%.
Current iOS version on my phone is 17.3

I tried the same song in the highest quality available on the internet via USB and Bluetooth but unfortunately it made no difference.

At this point i feel like something is off.

Funny that my 335i, with 180,000kms+ and the good ole HK system makes ZERO crackling or popping sound at the same exact settings, no change at all.

I use that cheap $10 bluetooth thingy and plug it in the aux port. Works flawlessly and I can absolutely play any music at full volume if I’m looking for a massive headache
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:01 AM   #12
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Current iOS version on my phone is 17.3

I tried the same song in the highest quality available on the internet via USB and Bluetooth but unfortunately it made no difference.

At this point i feel like something is off.

Funny that my 335i, with 180,000kms+ and the good ole HK system makes ZERO crackling or popping sound at the same exact settings, no change at all.

I use that cheap $10 bluetooth thingy and plug it in the aux port. Works flawlessly and I can absolutely play any music at full volume if I’m looking for a massive headache
Bluetooth audio in the G01 is the worst audio quality possible, so personally I’d avoid.

Old BMW audio system is completely different architecture to current system.

Is that USB version in your video 320kbps quality ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:08 AM   #13
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Bit left field ...

See if you can nail the approx frequency and then determine which speaker then is it something around the speaker resonating or the speaker is duff (is all speakers or just one you could then nail down with balance / fade?
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 08:26 PM   #14
gym_carrey
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
Quote:
Bluetooth audio in the G01 is the worst audio quality possible, so personally I’d avoid.

Old BMW audio system is completely different architecture to current system.

Is that USB version in your video 320kbps quality ?
That’s correct. 320kbps and rought 11mb data size. Still no luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:27 PM   #15
gym_carrey
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Bit left field ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URrE...nnel=DoctorMix

See if you can nail the approx frequency and then determine which speaker then is it something around the speaker resonating or the speaker is duff (is all speakers or just one you could then nail down with balance / fade?
I’m going to give this a try and report back. Really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:06 AM   #16
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That’s correct. 320kbps and rought 11mb data size. Still no luck.
That appears to be a lossy version. Spotify offers a similar 320Kbps bitrate on its OGG/V lossy CODEC.

It's lower than CD, which is 1411Kbps, and the FLAC version of that title I downloaded has a file size of around 47Mb.

Higher volume playback can sometimes highlight the difference between lossy and lossless source material. Maybe worth trying a higher quality lossless version.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 02:54 PM   #17
gym_carrey
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [9.50]
Quote:
That appears to be a lossy version. Spotify offers a similar 320Kbps bitrate on its OGG/V lossy CODEC.

It's lower than CD, which is 1411Kbps, and the FLAC version of that title I downloaded has a file size of around 47Mb.

Higher volume playback can sometimes highlight the difference between lossy and lossless source material. Maybe worth trying a higher quality lossless version.
Now that’s gonna be something tough to find but I’ll give it my best shot. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:07 PM   #18
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Blown speakers in 19,400kms?

And I know the complete backstory of the vehicle when I bought it at 9,800kms. The elderly couple didn’t even listen to music much.

Reason why I am suspecting it is something else.
You may think you know but I doubt it. This is a symptom of blown speakers. This could be a defect from the factory, or the original owner took it in for service and the porter could have decided to blast the music while moving the car around. Point is you don’t know the entire history especially as a 2nd owner.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:30 PM   #19
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Now that’s gonna be something tough to find but I’ll give it my best shot. Thank you.
It’s easy enough, but I can’t mention where on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:21 AM   #20
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I've heard of this crackling/popping in HK cars on other platforms and my F87 has it too and I believe it is the amp. Here's one from a quick search (https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781851) which also says it's an amp. Trouble is that's not an easy thing to swap out and try, you'd have to get a dealer to be willing to try it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:02 AM   #21
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
I've heard of this crackling/popping in HK cars on other platforms and my F87 has it too and I believe it is the amp. Here's one from a quick search (https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781851) which also says it's an amp. Trouble is that's not an easy thing to swap out and try, you'd have to get a dealer to be willing to try it.
There was a PUMA issued a while ago in Germany for a batch of faulty ID7 HK Booster DSP/Amp units, but this really only affected bass, as it only drives the underseat woofers.

If the OP’s car is ID7, the mids and tweeters are driven by the RAM (receiver audio module), which handles all sound, so distortion should be evident across radio, telephone etc played loud.

Maybe worth double checking the harness connections to the unit in the trunk just to rule it out.

At the OP is the distortion present on all types of audio sources played loud ? Also what are your audio/eq settings as you mention “certain songs” which may relate to certain frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:33 AM   #22
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A couple of titles to check if they create the same issue when 70% vol -

David Guetta - 7 - I’m That Bitch
David Guetta - I’m Good (Blue) - Stage Mix
Appreciate 0