BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #1211
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunay27 View Post
... Unfortunately the LCI models do not come with adaptive lights 😔
From my Build Sheet: S552 Adaptive LED Headlight
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #1212
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Wow this is cool😊 It's clearly written Adaptive LEDs, lucky you. I am not sure if all 2021 models came with Adaptive headlights. Unfortunately the LCI models do not come with adaptive lights 😔
I believe its been noted before but BMW had changed it from Adaptive LEDs to Matrix LEDs on the 2022, which was part of the reason the adaptive function no longer is mechanical.

My 2022 LCI with Lasers are the same, just adds the laser highbeams during freeway/highway driving and the anti dazzle function working as intended as well by turning off individual lighting zones to avoid glaring the cars in front or on the opposite side of the road.

I definitely miss the mechanical swivel however!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:35 AM   #1213
musik92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2022

Quote:
Wow this is cool�� It's clearly written Adaptive LEDs, lucky you. I am not sure if all 2021 models came with Adaptive headlights. Unfortunately the LCI models do not come with adaptive lights ��
My M40i LCI has "552 Adaptive LED Headlights" on the build sheet.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:48 AM   #1214
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Maybe that varies by market.

BMW UK states the LCI comes with ICON Adaptive LED headlights with selective beam splitting+auto highbeam+steering angle following

Looking at my UK build spec, it's the same part number (552+5AC) as the pre LCI, and item description on my LCI order is "BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights"+"High Beam Assistant"

I know US models have an additional option that removes the selective beam feature - "S5AP Decoding Anti-Glare High-Beam Assistant", which can be checked by decoding the VIN.

Maybe people can check their VIN using www.mdecoder.com to confirm if S5AP is applied.
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 10-18-2021 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #1215
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
... Looking at my UK build spec, it's the same part number (552+5AC) as the pre LCI, and item description on my LCI order is "BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights"+"High Beam Assistant"

I know US models have an additional option that removes the selective beam feature - "S5AP Decoding Anti-Glare High-Beam Assistant", which can be checked by decoding the VIN.

Maybe people can check their VIN using www.mdecoder.com to confirm if S5AP is applied.
I got 5AC as well. I saw a video last week about it, quite impressive, you think I could find the video now
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:45 AM   #1216
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
I believe its been noted before but BMW had changed it from Adaptive LEDs to Matrix LEDs on the 2022, which was part of the reason the adaptive function no longer is mechanical.

My 2022 LCI with Lasers are the same, just adds the laser highbeams during freeway/highway driving and the anti dazzle function working as intended as well by turning off individual lighting zones to avoid glaring the cars in front or on the opposite side of the road.

I definitely miss the mechanical swivel however!
Gotcha! Do you own M40i or the M? Because I never saw the option of laser headlights on the US build.

And the text on the headlight just says "BMW LED" and not "BMW Adaptive LED".

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Maybe that varies by market.

BMW UK states the LCI comes with ICON Adaptive LED headlights with selective beam splitting+auto highbeam+steering angle following

Looking at my UK build spec, it's the same part number (552+5AC) as the pre LCI, and item description on my LCI order is "BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights"+"High Beam Assistant"

Even my build sheet says it has everything mentioned by you, but I am not sure how are they adaptive. And when I look in the driver's guide this is what I see and it just mentions cornering light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #1217
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Gotcha! Do you own M40i or the M? Because I never saw the option of laser headlights on the US build.

Even my build sheet says it has everything mentioned by you, but I am not sure how are they adaptive. And when I look in the driver's guide this is what I see and it just mentions cornering light.
Laser are not available in the US, must a MOT regulation because they are available in Canada and UK.

Your build sheet has "S5AP Decoding Anti-Glare High-Beam Assistant" whitch, as mentioned by avi66, removes the selective beam feature.
Appreciate 2
avi662698.50
sunay27344.00
      10-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #1218
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Looks like you have S5AP and the selective beam is "decoded" i.e. removed. Cornering lights are just low speed maneuvering lights integrated into the headlights, and in the past, this function was often provided by front fog lights.

This thread shows a UK VIN car and a US VIN Car. Notice the US car has the feature "decoded".

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867517
Appreciate 1
sunay27344.00
      10-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #1219
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I have a X4 M Competition, however I'm also located in Canada where the 5AZ Laserlights are available on the 30i, M40i and the M Competition.

The text also just says BMW Lasers on them.
Appreciate 2
sunay27344.00
zequic3.00
      10-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #1220
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Question for guys owning a 2022 M40i here in US -

I know it says Adaptive LED headlights in the build sheet, but does any of you see the lights swiveling? Also I don't understand why bmw is calling it as adaptive when it doesn't adapt like the 21's.

I am also thinking to talk to a genius to understand the mechanism better😬
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #1221
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Question for guys owning a 2022 M40i here in US -

I know it says Adaptive LED headlights in the build sheet, but does any of you see the lights swiveling? Also I don't understand why bmw is calling it as adaptive when it doesn't adapt like the 21's.

I am also thinking to talk to a genius to understand the mechanism better😬
According to post 1216 above, "adaptive" might only be the cornering light.

They don't swivel with the steering wheel, but I wonder if it's because they don't swivel at all, or if it's because they use the lane camera to point the lights in the direction of the road (which would be more subtle).
Appreciate 1
sunay27344.00
      10-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #1222
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lap777 View Post
According to post 1216 above, "adaptive" might only be the cornering light.

They don't swivel with the steering wheel, but I wonder if it's because they don't swivel at all, or if it's because they use the lane camera to point the lights in the direction of the road (which would be more subtle).
The adaptive portion is for the cornering lights and if EU spec, variable light distribution/adaptive beam pattern (city, country, highway beams)

However as they employ matrix LED technology rather than traditional adaptive LED technology, most matrix LED systems "remove" the mechanical portion and in place use lighting zones to individually brighten or dim light zones on the road.

Hence it'll likely only be subtle on the road when taking curves at speed, since the LEDs will brighten the outer left or right light zones to help illuminate the corner.

That is what I've noted with the 5AZ Laserlights given as I had noted prior, they still function as anti-dazzle high beam headlights but just utilizing it in a different matter.

Here is actually some informative advertising from Maserati (as an example) for their "Adaptive Matrix Headlights" which is exactly how the lights on the G01/02 LCI work with static bend beams (cornering lights), adaptive headlights (variable light distribution) and anti dazzle headlights

Last edited by Tim@codemybimmer; 10-18-2021 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Added demo source for Matrix LED Technology
Appreciate 1
sunay27344.00
      10-19-2021, 04:17 AM   #1223
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The adaptive portion is for the cornering lights and if EU spec, variable light distribution/adaptive beam pattern (city, country, highway beams)

Here is actually some informative advertising from Maserati (as an example) for their "Adaptive Matrix Headlights" which is exactly how the lights on the G01/02 LCI work with static bend beams (cornering lights), adaptive headlights (variable light distribution) and anti dazzle headlights
In the UK (Euro?) spec there is selective high beam tech according to BMW. This is designed to keep the high beam on without dazzling traffic by blocking parts of the beam that would dazzle (cause glare) whilst keeping the rest at full beam for improved visibility.

AFAIK this anti-glare functionality is "decoded" (removed) from US model cars when BMW automatically adds option S5AP (Decoding Anti Glare High Beam Assist) that isn't present on UK cars. So in Mazarati video this functionality doesn't apply if you're in the USA or anywhere else that adds option S5AP.

The BMW video below shows the effect (same principle for mechanical or matrix) of anti-dazzle selective high beam.

Last edited by avi66; 10-19-2021 at 04:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #1224
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I want to re-code that anti-glare high beam assist onto my car. You'd think it would be a simple on/off flag, but from reading on here it's like 500 different settings that need to be changed Too much chance of screwing things up.
      10-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #1225
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

It's just plain stupid that this feature is "decoded" in US vehicles. Regulations? Who's responsible for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #1226
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
It's just plain stupid that this feature is "decoded" in US vehicles. Regulations? Who's responsible for this?
Regulations. At least one manufacturer is trying to get this changed:
https://www.regulations.gov/docket/N...-0090/document
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #1227
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
AFAIK this anti-glare functionality is "decoded" (removed) from US model cars when BMW automatically adds option S5AP (Decoding Anti Glare High Beam Assist) that isn't present on UK cars. So in Mazarati video this functionality doesn't apply if you're in the USA or anywhere else that adds option S5AP.
That is correct for the North American market that they are decoded under 5AP and 8S4.

However, the decoding options can be removed and re-activated, given the hardware is present and have tested and confirmed as well.
Appreciate 1
avi662698.50
      10-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #1228
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

Actually in the EU spec adaptive LED headlight means both is available. So you will have swivelling beam while dring in a curve as well as adaptive LEDs for glare free high beam assist.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #1229
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous666 View Post
Actually in the EU spec adaptive LED headlight means both is available. So you will have swivelling beam while dring in a curve as well as adaptive LEDs for glare free high beam assist.
As mentioned before, the mechanical swivel is no longer on the LCI headlights regardless of market.

It is now purely zone-based from the use of the Matrix LEDs and the use of the cornering light as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #1230
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

Quote:
As mentioned before, the mechanical swivel is no longer on the LCI headlights regardless of market.

It is now purely zone-based from the use of the Matrix LEDs and the use of the cornering light as well.
Ok, need to check as the German configurator still mentions both the cornering light and movement of the light for curves. But if the matrix LEDs do the same job as the mechanical swivel I would be totally fine.

The cornering light btw was allways there and is not a newly introduced substitute for the swivel. My 2020 with adaptive swivelling headlights has the cornering light installed also.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #1231
musik92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2022

Quote:

Is it better or worse?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #1232
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Out of curiosity is there any info from BMW stating that they've moved to matrix only ?

BMW published an article about why they had gone down a different route to matrix due to light performance. I'll try to dig it out

"Precise masking of other road users.
One key benefit of BMW Selective Beam lies in its ability to shield other road users from the high beam’s cone of light with great precision. Anti-dazzle high-beam headlights are designed to distribute light in such a way that oncoming traffic or road users ahead are masked out with complete reliability and with low light scattering. The swivel motors that move the high beam operate to an accuracy of 0.1 degrees. Only the smallest area required is masked, thereby minimising the loss of light intensity. As far as the driver is concerned, this means that the road ahead is lit up to the best possible effect at all times.

In contrast to BMW Selective Beam with its system of minimal masking, other systems completely deactivate some of the LEDs used for the high beam in order to prevent oncoming traffic or vehicles ahead from being dazzled. This is accompanied, however, by a significant loss of both brightness and illumination width, thus limiting the high beam’s lighting power to a far greater degree"

Last edited by avi66; 10-19-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0