BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #155
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
Lol why super simple install..but lmk if you need help.
I tried installing it this past weekend and got supremely frustrated with the light falling into the headliner. Did you use any glue to prevent it from falling in?
      10-02-2023, 03:26 PM   #156
sunXero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #157
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
I tried installing it this past weekend and got supremely frustrated with the light falling into the headliner. Did you use any glue to prevent it from falling in?
Few months after I installed, I used heavy duty clear double sided tape that i cut into small pieces in a few spots to keep it from moving.
Appreciate 2
jwong77320.50
dinan5m34263.50
      12-02-2023, 03:43 AM   #158
Tabs83
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Bumping an old thread but I’m having issues with this, install was extremely easy but my sunroof lights are horrible, the first quarter of the strip is perfect then the colour becomes dull midway through and toward the back of the strip it’s almost white. When I reversed the strip and plugged the rear into the footwell the rear of the strip quarter was perfect then faded to the front

I contacted the seller which is the recommended AliExpress seller on this thread, they told me to wire it up as pictured so to use both end plugs, I did that and the colour was constant but pretty dull, from what I gathered on this thread you only use the front plug off the strip?

The people that have fitted them, are they as bright and same colour as the rest of ambient lighting or a different tone?

I have attach a couple of pics, you can see how it’s not a constant colour right around, it’s really got me scratching my head any help would be much appreciated
Attached Images

Last edited by Tabs83; 12-02-2023 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 07:39 AM   #159
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabs83 View Post
Bumping an old thread but I’m having issues with this, install was extremely easy but my sunroof lights are horrible, the first quarter of the strip is perfect then the colour becomes dull midway through and toward the back of the strip it’s almost white. When I reversed the strip and plugged the rear into the footwell the rear of the strip quarter was perfect then faded to the front

I contacted the seller which is the recommended AliExpress seller on this thread, they told me to wire it up as pictured so to use both end plugs, I did that and the colour was constant but pretty dull, from what I gathered on this thread you only use the front plug off the strip?

The people that have fitted them, are they as bright and same colour as the rest of ambient lighting or a different tone?

I have attach a couple of pics, you can see how it’s not a constant colour right around, it’s really got me scratching my head any help would be much appreciated
The ones I have and helped others install, I only used one end closest to the front footwell connection and the rear plug was tucked into the back. Does every color fade the same way? meaning the end that's plugged in is bright and then fades to white. Does the connector have straight pins and nothing is bent?

The pic of the green color looks like its fading from rear to front, how was that connected? then purple is fading from front to rear, seems like it may be a bad light strip if both are connected using the same one side in the pics.

Last edited by Burr001; 12-02-2023 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #160
Tabs83
Rep

Quote:
The ones I have and helped others install, I only used one end closest to the front footwell connection and the rear plug was tucked into the back. Does every color fade the same way? meaning the end that's plugged in is bright and then fades to white. Does the connector have straight pins and nothing is bent?

The pic of the green color looks like its fading from rear to front, how was that connected? then purple is fading from front to rear, seems like it may be a bad light strip if both are connected using the same one side in the pics.

Every colour fades the same, iv checked connectors and nothing is bent at all and both strips are exactly the same with average colour. The one fading from rear to front was connected using the rear plug as a trial to determine if the front plug on the strip was faulty.

The weirdest part is the seller told me to connect both plugs using the extensions which I haven’t heard people doing and I did try that, the colours were constant throughout but really dull and if I use the extensions then the footwell plug doesn’t even reach anymore. I’m stuck on what to do to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:43 PM   #161
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Every colour fades the same, iv checked connectors and nothing is bent at all and both strips are exactly the same with average colour. The one fading from rear to front was connected using the rear plug as a trial to determine if the front plug on the strip was faulty.

The weirdest part is the seller told me to connect both plugs using the extensions which I haven’t heard people doing and I did try that, the colours were constant throughout but really dull and if I use the extensions then the footwell plug doesn’t even reach anymore. I’m stuck on what to do to be honest.
Does the light get brighter when the truck is running? Or is it the same whenever? Not saying you messed install..just trying to narrow down shit.

Also in idrive did you increase brightness all the way up?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 04:01 PM   #162
Tabs83
Rep

Quote:
Does the light get brighter when the truck is running? Or is it the same whenever? Not saying you messed install..just trying to narrow down shit.

Also in idrive did you increase brightness all the way up?

Brightness is all the way up, I don’t think I actually started the car will try that today, are they supposed to go brighter with the car on?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 04:09 PM   #163
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Brightness is all the way up, I don’t think I actually started the car will try that today, are they supposed to go brighter with the car on?
umm no but worth a shot? sry trying to narrow down the stupid easy stuff.

TBH if both lines are fading the same way then its likely the strips are bad or the output of the power is too low for some reason.

Im sure if you provide the seller with the pics you took they should send new ones, or file a claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #164
Tabs83
Rep

Quote:
umm no but worth a shot? sry trying to narrow down the stupid easy stuff.

TBH if both lines are fading the same way then its likely the strips are bad or the output of the power is too low for some reason.

Im sure if you provide the seller with the pics you took they should send new ones, or file a claim.

I tried it with the car on and it’s the same, I think the strips are faulty tbh.
Iv attached some photos, first 5 pics are of the strip double plugged as the seller told me to do and the whole strip dims and colour is off. Sixth pic shows the front plug plugged in and the colour and brightness is perfect in the first quarter of the strip then fades and basically turns into a blue/white.

Last pic is both plugs in again at the same angle the sixth photo was taken, see how it’s changed to a blue purple and dimmer?

I did contact the seller yesterday and their advice was to plug both ends in using the extension cables and I told them I haven’t read about anybody doing it this way on the forums not to mention I really don’t want all those excess wires tucked into the roof lining also. I’m happy to bite the bullet and order another pair but worried they might just be the same
Attached Images

Last edited by Tabs83; 12-02-2023 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:40 PM   #165
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I tried it with the car on and it’s the same, I think the strips are faulty tbh.
Iv attached some photos, first 5 pics are of the strip double plugged as the seller told me to do and the whole strip dims and colour is off. Sixth pic shows the front plug plugged in and the colour and brightness is perfect in the first quarter of the strip then fades and basically turns into a blue/white.

Last pic is both plugs in again at the same angle the sixth photo was taken, see how it’s changed to a blue purple and dimmer?

I did contact the seller yesterday and their advice was to plug both ends in using the extension cables and I told them I haven’t read about anybody doing it this way on the forums not to mention I really don’t want all those excess wires tucked into the roof lining also. I’m happy to bite the bullet and order another pair but worried they might just be the same

Ok long shot here, I also have the led center console cover that also uses the same foot well plug with a splitter. Have you tried just plugging the roof strip by itself? and see if that changes anything

tbh that shouldn't affect it as mine is normal with both plugged in.

Scratch that i see your not in an X3/4. I assume the center console strip is factory.

anyway I'm out of ideas, GL.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 08:17 AM   #166
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:

I had an issue with one side a month or so after initial install. I sent the seller pictures and explained all I had done and troubleshooting steps (basically pinning him into a corner).

He promptly sent me a replacement light *AND* an extra one, so I have one extra for when the other side of the original purchase goes bad. I would suggest you ask him for a replacement tube.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:02 AM   #167
supercrossed
Registered
Rep
Drives: '21 M440i

This looks really cool. Already did the center console LEDs, this is next on the list. Anyone in the Orlando area willing to help out?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 12:36 PM   #168
euroshowoff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota Sequoia Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossed View Post
This looks really cool. Already did the center console LEDs, this is next on the list. Anyone in the Orlando area willing to help out?
Source for the center console leds?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 09:27 PM   #169
supercrossed
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroshowoff View Post
Source for the center console leds?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM3ZZU2

These ones, fairly quick install and hook up to the passenger footwell light.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 09:55 PM   #170
needmorepower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Quote:

You purchased the set #1 for the center console? And it fits on X3/X4?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:56 PM   #171
needmorepower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Got any pics of it installed as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 06:17 AM   #172
supercrossed
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorepower View Post
Got any pics of it installed as well?
I'll get some pics and share them! They're only visible at night, in the daytime not so much. Well, neither are the factory lights.

Quote:
Yes, the center console, if it fits the X3/X4 I'm not sure
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 07:18 AM   #173
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorepower View Post
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027912

This is the one for the center console.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 11:41 AM   #174
needmorepower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the center console, if it fits the X3/X4 I'm not sure
Thank you fam!