BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2024, 02:07 PM   #1
gooeyzaq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Reverse auto braking

Forgot to write about this experience, but couple weeks ago I was reversing out of a driveway that was sloped.

My backup warning sounds came on then the auto brake feature kicked in to prevent me from hitting something. I could not disengage it in the moment and kind of forced my way through it. I hope there was no damage from that.

It was not a pleasant experience and quite dangerous if someone was coming. I have since disabled it in the settings but it is pretty badly programmed for something very common that people do on a daily.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:30 PM   #2
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

This is actually quite a common phenomenon with many OEM cars that have more modern backup sensors. The first time you experience it tends to be very jarring. I have found on the X3, if I put slight but steady pressure on the accelerator pedal while backing you will still get the 'alarm warnings' but it will not automatically suddenly apply the brakes.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:22 PM   #3
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

It also depends on the steering angle. I would either just shift it to another gear then back to reverse OR disable it while reversing but with the rear camera on.

Personally, i find this feature useless on both my G01 and G12 as it unnecessarily stops me for something that's not on my path to hit but doesn't work when there's a real object that I'm about to hit (65 gallon trash bin and on several near-miss occasions, another car backing out a parking lot).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:28 PM   #4
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i Tanzanite Blue

I love the feature. It will brake sometimes when I would rather it not but I use it to back into my garage and it works perfectly to stop me in the same place every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:07 PM   #5
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I just push the parking button on the center console to stop it briefly until I can get past whatever it’s complaining about, and then I push the button to turn the camera and sensors back on.
      02-20-2024, 08:58 PM   #6
gooeyzaq
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post
I just push the parking button on the center console to stop it briefly until I can get past whatever it’s complaining about, and then I push the button to turn the camera and sensors back on.
I see this makes sense and didn't know it could bypass it.
Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00
      02-20-2024, 09:01 PM   #7
gooeyzaq
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
This is actually quite a common phenomenon with many OEM cars that have more modern backup sensors. The first time you experience it tends to be very jarring. I have found on the X3, if I put slight but steady pressure on the accelerator pedal while backing you will still get the 'alarm warnings' but it will not automatically suddenly apply the brakes.
Good to know. It's been helpful to have on but will try that tip too.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:50 PM   #8
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

This has occured to me this very morning I wanted to repark my car, so both front and rear move was blocked by brakes. Of course, when I hit the gas pedal harder, it disengaged, but it's not recommended, when you have a fence less than 2 metres from you (in any direction ). It also happened, when I wanted to reverse into tight spot (tranvesre parking), being almost blocked in front (by other parked vehicles).
In either case, I don't think my sensors would be dirty... not by snow, ice, mud.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 02:38 AM   #9
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
It happens randomly to me when I back up onto my driveway which slopes up towards my house. Always gives me a shock as it’s quite a violent stop and makes me think I’ve hit the other car or small wall we have to one side of the driveway. Must make me look like a crappy driver if anyone is ever watching.
2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 11:32 AM   #10
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
It happens randomly to me when I back up onto my driveway which slopes up towards my house. Always gives me a shock as it’s quite a violent stop and makes me think I’ve hit the other car or small wall we have to one side of the driveway. Must make me look like a crappy driver if anyone is ever watching.
Haha! I had this while parking in my local Tesco just last weekend. There was nothing.... absolutely nothing... in my path but while trying to reverse into a parking bay (which had empty bays on either side) the car would come to an abrupt halt!

I tried a couple of times, with people looking at me like I'm a learner driver but the car stopped dead at the same spot. Urrrrgh!! In the end I drove a few metres down and was able to successfully reverse into a different bay.

As I walked back past the first bay, I did notice it had a flattened pepsi drinks can in there. I have no idea if that could have caused the problem, but it was the only thing that seemed out of the ordinary I'll remember to hit the button to turn the system off if it happens again!
Appreciate 0