BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2024, 04:52 AM   #1
WA_state_driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Another tire(some) question

I will be taking delivery of a new M40 in the next few weeks. I live near Seattle and plan on swapping out the 20” performance RF for 20” non RF All Weather before winter.

However, I am planning on a road trip to So California this summer (with wife & dog). My options:

1. Swap out tires immediately
2. Use RF for summer road trip and swap out after that

Looking at listings, I don’t believe there’s a market for used 20” RF tires…

Thoughts re. comfort, risk of flats, potholes, expenses etc of each option for the road trip?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 07:21 AM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Options depend on what your primary concern is. RFT tires obviously aren't as comfortable as go-flats but you have to drive them side by side to tell the difference. On the X3 with 20s, it isn't as much as you think.

I've also driven my F80 on road trips with go-flats. The car comes with tire slime and inflator but I added a jack, tire removal tools, and a tire plug kit. The plugs can repair most of your typical punctures and will get me to a tire shop where I can get a proper repair.

RFTs obviously will get you to the tire shop but once driven flat, you will need to get it replaced which might leave you stranded anyway if the shop doesn't have the tire in stock.

Other option is to get a spare. Someone on the forum was able to fit the spare below the floor board with some modifications to the foam.
Appreciate 0