BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2024, 02:46 PM   #1
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

How to recalibrate lopsided backup camera? Covered under warranty?

[US] The backup camera recently became lopsided (in the past I was never and shouldn’t be able to see corner of my license plate). Is this covered under warranty to have dealer adjust it?

2. In the past I only play videos/music from USB as there doesn’t seem a free way to other than convert YouTube videos/movies, copy to my USB and plug it locally, but apparently theres a way to just sync them directly my iPhone via iTunes and play them just like any other CarPlay paid music app? Only the difference vs USB is iTunes can normalize the converted audio as the highest file type, shuffle, all the features of a paid music subscription but for free.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:36 PM   #2
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepianist1 View Post
[US] The backup camera recently became lopsided (in the past I was never and shouldn’t be able to see corner of my license plate). Is this covered under warranty to have dealer adjust it?

2. In the past I only play videos/music from USB as there doesn’t seem a free way to other than convert YouTube videos/movies, copy to my USB and plug it locally, but apparently theres a way to just sync them directly my iPhone via iTunes and play them just like any other CarPlay paid music app? Only the difference vs USB is iTunes can normalize the converted audio as the highest file type, shuffle, all the features of a paid music subscription but for free.
1. Of course it would. Is the camera actually crooked or is that just that it is off center on the tailgate (as in next to the tailgate release handle) that’s making for the angle? I’d need to look at mine.

2. I use my USB and CarPlay for playing my local music library but I’m not understanding your question at all. Can you clarify?

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 09:44 PM   #3
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
1. Of course it would. Is the camera actually crooked or is that just that it is off center on the tailgate (as in next to the tailgate release handle) that’s making for the angle? I’d need to look at mine.

2. I use my USB and CarPlay for playing my local music library but I’m not understanding your question at all. Can you clarify?
Well I recall in the past the offset from the center still only showed a straight edge of the bumper. I’ll have the dealer check out thanks

2. On Finder, when I check Sync Music to X iPhone, is it possible to keep the lossless file type (FLAC) that’s saved on the computer? There’s option to “Include videos” as I want to transfer various video recordings too but I don’t see the option to load videos into iTunes on the computer

Last edited by thepianist1; 02-14-2024 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 05:21 AM   #4
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Well I recall in the past the offset from the center still only showed a straight edge of the bumper. I’ll have the dealer check out thanks

2. On Finder, when I check Sync Music to X iPhone, is it possible to keep the lossless file type (FLAC) that’s saved on the computer? There’s option to “Include videos” as I want to transfer various video recordings too but I don’t see the option to load videos into iTunes on the computer
Apple doesn’t support FLAC playback natively in its eco system afaik, but can store them using Files app. It’s moot with Wi-Fi connected CarPlay in the G01, because Apple currently forces output via AAC codec, which is lossy. Afaik G01 iDrive 7 doesn’t support Apple ALAC lossless codec, even if it could be output for CarPlay in the G01.

The Apple Music App in CarPlay can sync music purchased from iTunes, or in your iTunes library. However, settings like EQ, Atmos, etc in the iPhone setting don’t apply to CarPlay.

I’m not even sure Apple Music App in CarPlay offers video playback.

The only way to access lossless downloaded content on your iPhone is to disable CarPlay and all wireless connections to the G01, then connect via USB. The iPhone is essentially seen as a storage device in iDrive, similar to a USB drive.

Last edited by avi66; 02-15-2024 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:15 AM   #5
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just a thought. I sync my music library from my Music (iTunes) folder straight onto the USB I keep in the car. I use an app called FreeFileSync to basically mirror my library directory on the computer to the USB, only copying what has been modified each time.

You could do something like that to have your higher bitrate stuff available… and without having to plug in your phone each time.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:03 PM   #6
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
Just a thought. I sync my music library from my Music (iTunes) folder straight onto the USB I keep in the car. I use an app called FreeFileSync to basically mirror my library directory on the computer to the USB, only copying what has been modified each time.

You could do something like that to have your higher bitrate stuff available… and without having to plug in your phone each time.
Cool idea, but I would assume that you don't get the playlists you've created?

What I do is drag-n-drop my playlist files directly from iTunes into folders on my USB thumbdrive. If I want to play a song that is not in those playlists, I just play it from my phone using the Carplay interface.
      02-15-2024, 04:07 PM   #7
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post

What I do is drag-n-drop my playlist files directly from iTunes into folders on my USB thumbdrive. If I want to play a song that is not in those playlists, I just play it from my phone using the Carplay interface.
I export the playlists from iTunes/Apple Music. I have to edit the paths in them to remove the reference to the local location but that takes a few seconds.

Mostly though I just use CarPlay because it’s always connected and is always up to date.

Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00
      02-15-2024, 04:36 PM   #8
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post

I just use a combination of two USB drives, and iDrive integrated Spotify.

Don’t really use CarPlay beyond it running Waze in the background for audio alerts. I have Apple Music, don’t use it in the car.

I ask Hey BMW to play titles and it can search the USB drives.

Last edited by avi66; 02-16-2024 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00
      02-16-2024, 05:36 PM   #9
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Apple doesn’t support FLAC playback natively in its eco system afaik, but can store them using Files app. It’s moot with Wi-Fi connected CarPlay in the G01, because Apple currently forces output via AAC codec, which is lossy. Afaik G01 iDrive 7 doesn’t support Apple ALAC lossless codec, even if it could be output for CarPlay in the G01.

The Apple Music App in CarPlay can sync music purchased from iTunes, or in your iTunes library. However, settings like EQ, Atmos, etc in the iPhone setting don’t apply to CarPlay.

I’m not even sure Apple Music App in CarPlay offers video playback.

The only way to access lossless downloaded content on your iPhone is to disable CarPlay and all wireless connections to the G01, then connect via USB. The iPhone is essentially seen as a storage device in iDrive, similar to a USB drive.
By video playback I mean the audio from the MP4 video files (recordings, meeting recaps, movies). Those videos play on my USB iDrive when I’m driving (I have video in motion coded), but then when I’m not in my car I have to remember to always take the USB with me and sync those files between my phone/computer and the USB, not to mention the only way I can add the tags to the file to make it organized in the USB is to use Finder which is used to sync the files for free to the phone). Then I found out that Apple Music can freely play any MP3 file downloaded from any sources that I put in Automatically Add to Music synced from computer (AFAIK the only free equivalent I’ve used is AIMP but that was Android only, everything else is paid subscription and the only local files that can be played have to be downloaded from that subscription ). So I converted all my music into MP3 format so Apple Music can recognize them but I guess not the video MP4 or M4A or whatever format those other files are in.

Last edited by thepianist1; 02-16-2024 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 01:25 AM   #10
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
By video playback I mean the audio from the MP4 video files (recordings, meeting recaps, movies). Those videos play on my USB iDrive when I’m driving (I have video in motion coded), but then when I’m not in my car I have to remember to always take the USB with me and sync those files between my phone/computer and the USB, not to mention the only way I can add the tags to the file to make it organized in the USB is to use Finder which is used to sync the files for free to the phone). Then I found out that Apple Music can freely play any MP3 file downloaded from any sources that I put in Automatically Add to Music synced from computer (AFAIK the only free equivalent I’ve used is AIMP but that was Android only, everything else is paid subscription and the only local files that can be played have to be downloaded from that subscription ). So I converted all my music into MP3 format so Apple Music can recognize them but I guess not the video MP4 or M4A or whatever format those other files are in.

iDrive supports MP4, M4A & MP3.

MP3 is at the lossy low end of audio quality compression. A .M4A file is what Apple uses in its eco system and is essentially a “container” which can contain lossy AAC or lossless ALAC compression depending on what is encoded. Not all device that support .M4A will playback an encoded audio file, as this may depend if it’s an AAC or ALAC encode.

This is what my manual claims about iDrive 7 supported codecs on USB -
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 02-17-2024 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:22 PM   #11
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Check the camera to see it comes loose from the base. Looks like the position of the camera changed by the look of it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #12
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMnut View Post
Check the camera to see it comes loose from the base. Looks like the position of the camera changed by the look of it.
I suspect this is the reason. Bmw dealer only recalibrated the camera and it did not fix the issue. They refused to disassemble the camera and inspect the housing, need to find a different dealer.
Appreciate 0