BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2024, 03:09 PM   #1
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Center Channel Speaker Upgrade

I'm in the process of upgrading the HK 688a sound system in my 2024 G01. I settled on Match speakers this time. I used Eton on my 330i, and they sounded great, but the Match ones use real crossovers instead of just bandpass filters and I'd like to see if I can hear the difference. Also, Bimmertech and Bavsound are ridiculously expensive in comparison, so there's that.

I was wondering what choices people have made for the center channel. The OEM HK, the Bavsound, and the Bimmertech center channels all have separate tweeters, while the Match center channel is coax (the Eton was as well). But these all use bandpass filers rather than true crossovers. Maybe that's just a distinction without a difference, but

I can get a really good deal on the Match components, so I'm considering splurging and getting a set of components with the correct basket size for the center channel (it's the same basket size as the rear pillar ones):
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...up-c42bmw-frt3

The only question now is what to do with the crossover. The bandpass filters other makers use are small and can just hang into the space below the center channel housing in the dash, but the crossover is about half the size of a deck of cards. I don't think it will work well just dangling.

Has anyone done this with crossovers for the center channel? Where did you mount it?
Appreciate 0