BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

35d Running In

So the 35d arrives in around 12 hours.

The 530d is washed, hoovered and all of my rubbish is cleared out... Camera will be on charge shortly!

Is there any specific guidance on how to run in the BMW Twin Power 6 pot diesel engines?

There seems to be some people that say don't exceed 3500rpm, and some that say modern engines don't need to be run...

Cheers.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I think it doesn't hurt to be gentle in the first few hundred miles. I think it's more important not to floor it when the engine is straight cold, and that for the lifetime of the engine.
I personally did the first 1000 miles or so never going over 3k rpm, on the 20d.
      05-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Cheers. Sounds like a good plan. Did you get any official guidance, or is that just what you decided to do?

I wouldn't abuse a cold engine no matter how many miles... although saying that, our fleet of work vehicles get (legitimately) abused round the clock and spend most of their time on the red line from cold. Many are on 100,000+ miles with seemingly no ill effects and run as nicely as they did when they were brand new.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0