BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
Wildhund
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2013

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Extended warranty expiring this month!

Hello guys, so I got an X3 2013 and the extended 6 year warranty is expiring by the end of the month. I own it since July 2016 and have driven it 45,000 KM, no issues.
First, I was going to my independent mechanic who owns an X3 also to see if he sees anything special on the car, computer codes, bearings, shocks..
Then next week, I would go to the actual dealership for them to check anything that might be under warranty. So is this a good plan when approaching the end of the 6 year warranty? Is there a name for this type of inspection? I'm just wondering how deep they will really look because it's money coming out of their pockets if they start replacing parts etc.
I would like to keep the car for many years still and would just like to know it's in great shape before going on uncovered!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I assume you realize that 2013 28is are subject to the timing chain/ruined engine issue. But that is not anything you can get done proactively. Warranty items are not money out of the dealer's pocket, it's money in their pocket because BMW pays them to do it. I am assuming your talking about a CPO warranty expiring, which has numerous exclusions. If it were me, I'd skip the dealer inspection, and go to a good indy and have them give everything a thorough check. But the things most likely to need replacement, like suspension parts, are not covered under a CPO warranty. You should google BMW CPO warranty and you'll get the one-page list BMW supplies of what is not covered. It's a lot. Frankly, if everything is working on your car, you probably won't find anything the CPO will cover. Same will be true if it's not CPO, but a two-year extension you paid for.
Appreciate 0