BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m40i Individual 2022

Ceramic coatings vs SiO2 sprays

Hi,
Since Ceramic protections are getting more and more popular. I would like to have your feedback/inputs on the below solutions. Ceramic coatings vs SiO2 sprays.
The thing is I'm getting my new X3 next week and since it's a lease I'm not sure it make sense to invest in a professional ceramic protection. (Made/appplied by a professional)

1. Ceramic Pro or Medina. Done by a professional
2. ProTech Pro. Done by a professional
3. Hybride Ceramic Wax by Meguiar's. DIY
4. HydroSilex recharge. DIY
5. Adam's ceramic spray coating. DIY

Please advice. Any regrets? Inputs?

Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavich View Post
since it's a lease I'm not sure it make sense to invest in a professional ceramic protection. (Made/appplied by a professional)
I'm interested in the same info. Got quoted $1200 but not sure if it would be worth it for a lease. I have been researching DIY as well and saw a couple of recommended products, Color N Drive or CQuartz. My only concern with DIY would be that I don't really have an indoor area to apply it so I'd be worried about dust/pollen getting on it during the application/drying process.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
If it is a lease car - then look at the ceramic kits you can buy on Amazon/Ebay etc.
They will do a reasonable job - if you follow the instructions and prepare the surface correctly.
Then it will be easier to clean your car during the lease period and protect the surface from bird lime, chemicals and car wash scratches.
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Been doing a ton of research on this. Most of the newest systems have a 2 layer system with a spray on maintenance coat.

For example:

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light - this is the base coat - it is very hard and very durable - it will resist scratches and swirls due to its hardness. Lasts 3-5 years.

GTechniq EXOv4 would be the topcoat that goes over the base. This layer is much more hydrophobic and self-cleaning than the base, but is less durable and scratch resistant. It will not last as long as the base but still 1-2 years.

GTechniq C2V3 is their spray on silica based maintenance coat. This is sprayed on after a wash from time to time to maintain the water beading properties and act as a sacrificial layer on top of the EXO - hopefully to make the EXO last longer. It also helps remove water spots.

Most brands have this setup:

CarPro CQuartz UK is a base coat, they have CarPro Gliss as a topcoat and CarPro Reload as a maintenance spray.

Gyeon has their Syncro kit, which is Gyeon MOHS as base, Gyeon Skin as top and Gyeon Cure as spray on.

A pure spray on will not last very long adn will not provide scratch and marring resistance...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

I have Gyeon. Did it myself. I like the result, it is still visible after 7 months. I cant see how a more expensive coating would give a diffrent result (untill today, perhaps it will stay on longer?)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
Been doing a ton of research on this. Most of the newest systems have a 2 layer system with a spray on maintenance coat.

For example:

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light - this is the base coat - it is very hard and very durable - it will resist scratches and swirls due to its hardness. Lasts 3-5 years.

GTechniq EXOv4 would be the topcoat that goes over the base. This layer is much more hydrophobic and self-cleaning than the base, but is less durable and scratch resistant. It will not last as long as the base but still 1-2 years.

GTechniq C2V3 is their spray on silica based maintenance coat. This is sprayed on after a wash from time to time to maintain the water beading properties and act as a sacrificial layer on top of the EXO - hopefully to make the EXO last longer. It also helps remove water spots.

Most brands have this setup:

CarPro CQuartz UK is a base coat, they have CarPro Gliss as a topcoat and CarPro Reload as a maintenance spray.

Gyeon has their Syncro kit, which is Gyeon MOHS as base, Gyeon Skin as top and Gyeon Cure as spray on.

A pure spray on will not last very long adn will not provide scratch and marring resistance...
Thank you very much for all the info !!! To sum up there's no "miracle" spray. No matter what, I will always need to prepare the car with those layers and then I can use the spray.

I don't mind do it myself but it seems I will need to buy some polishing appliances etc. And the garage is not the best place to do it.

But I agreed with all of you, it doesn't make sense spending this amount on a lease. Here in Switzerland will cost 1500 usd.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdW86 View Post
I have Gyeon. Did it myself. I like the result, it is still visible after 7 months. I cant see how a more expensive coating would give a diffrent result (untill today, perhaps it will stay on longer?)
Thank you. Do you have pictures after 7 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
G01Mike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

For a lease any of your listings should do well IF the paint is prepared properly before applying the coating as directed. You can easily spend more to prep the paint even if it is new (especially dark colors) than the actual cost of the ceramic coating. If the paint isn't smooth and free of swirls/scratches and contaminants in/on the clear coat, no matter what you apply it isn't going to last as long or look the way you expect it to.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I did an extended research on this, watched numerous youtube videos, read tens of blogs about this. Whatever you do, just don't overthink it. Do what will make you happy. I´m not a professional, nor an enthusiast - just a guy who happens to own a BMW.

Nowadays, a decent DIY job will give you the same results as from a professional detailer (ok, that is maybe too much, but you know what I mean). If you dont mind washing and applying a coating .. lets say every 6 months, than DIY can be a way to go. But again - I'm not a professional and I never done this - so no experience, just a theory knowledge.

I'm planning to apply a coating in a few days. And just fyi - car is 4 months old, and I'm just gonna wash it a apply the coating straight away. Nothing else. Not worth it for me. Plan was to keep the car for a year or two, but its such a great vehicle, that maybe we keep it a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
IM_ALL_IN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
I did an extended research on this, watched numerous youtube videos, read tens of blogs about this. Whatever you do, just don't overthink it. Do what will make you happy. I´m not a professional, nor an enthusiast - just a guy who happens to own a BMW.

Nowadays, a decent DIY job will give you the same results as from a professional detailer (ok, that is maybe too much, but you know what I mean). If you dont mind washing and applying a coating .. lets say every 6 months, than DIY can be a way to go. But again - I'm not a professional and I never done this - so no experience, just a theory knowledge.

I'm planning to apply a coating in a few days. And just fyi - car is 4 months old, and I'm just gonna wash it a apply the coating straight away. Nothing else. Not worth it for me. Plan was to keep the car for a year or two, but its such a great vehicle, that maybe we keep it a little longer.
Do it right or do it twice. You are going about this the wrong way IMO, but obviously you are free to do what pleases you.

My concern with the nonchalant approach is that the coating may not bond properly, possibly flaking in the not too distant future. Also, you won't have uniform coverage and it could potentially effect the overall look of the vehicle(some parts looking shinier or duller). Coatings are a pain in the ass to remove if you decide to redo the process. You will be forced to use a DA polisher along with a strong compound and a microfiber pad to ensure it's gone. Finally, if you don't polish before applying, you are sealing in all blemishes and the paint won't shine to its full capability. I would argue that this is one process you want to overthink. GL
Appreciate 1
nvestr150.50
      02-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
couchgate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I'm getting a Ceramic Pro Gold package (4 layers 9H) plus wheels and calipers applied to my M40i in a few days. I'll post back with thoughts/results
Appreciate 0