BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #111
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #112
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I'm quite anti ASD from the totally overdone interpretations on my M2/3/4 over the years.

However.

It really ADDS to the car in the M40D. Absolutely love the subtle V8 rumble, really faint in Comfort and still subtle but more of it in Sport. Perfect, well done BMW! I'm guessing this thread exists a as the M40i version is trying a little too hard like the F8Xs. Damn.
Max Well4734.50
      02-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #113
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I'm quite anti ASD from the totally overdone interpretations on my M2/3/4 over the years.

However.

It really ADDS to the car in the M40D. Absolutely love the subtle V8 rumble, really faint in Comfort and still subtle but more of it in Sport. Perfect, well done BMW! I'm guessing this thread exists a as the M40i version is trying a little too hard like the F8Xs. Damn.
Yes - I find it annoying on my M40i!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #114
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
I'm quite anti ASD from the totally overdone interpretations on my M2/3/4 over the years. However.

The main reason we installed the ASD harness was not so much to remove the fake engine noise, but rather to see if we could improve the HK sound experience in the cabin, which always seemed dull and without dimension (even with our FLAC files). This is where we have found the removal of that background sound has really improved the sonic environment, at least for us. Notes are clear and distinct with more depth of tone, and it seems as though we have purchased a sound system upgrade honestly. I feel bad in a way for blaming it previously on the HK system rather than the ASD. Suspect this will be personal preference and probably also related to individual hearing acuity, but for us it has been a huge difference.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #115
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
The main reason we installed the ASD harness was not so much to remove the fake engine noise, but rather to see if we could improve the HK sound experience in the cabin, which always seemed dull and without dimension (even with our FLAC files). This is where we have found the removal of that background sound has really improved the sonic environment, at least for us. Notes are clear and distinct with more depth of tone, and it seems as though we have purchased a sound system upgrade honestly. I feel bad in a way for blaming it previously on the HK system rather than the ASD. Suspect this will be personal preference and probably also related to individual hearing acuity, but for us it has been a huge difference.
Hi,
The 64 million dollar question is whether the HK output is different between adaptor harness (cost) and pulled fuse (free)!
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 2
Max Well4734.50
chicagofan0019146.00
      02-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #116
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:

However.

First disclaimer: I'm not anti-ASD, and I do enjoy having some 'sonic enhancement' from time to time. However, I am also all for choices - In an ideal word, ASD should be a user-selectable (better yet, adjustable) option.

I guess the ASD suits you guys well with the Diesel engines. Not a bad thing to add some sportiness here... However, as we all know, BMW only make it 'mandatory' to all and not all of us find it enjoyable. :
Appreciate 3
Max Well4734.50
JustChris17487.50
      02-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #117
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX3M40i View Post
Hi,
The 64 million dollar question is whether the HK output is different between adaptor harness (cost) and pulled fuse (free)!
Cheers
Steve
Ahh yes, another question altogether! Our decision was based on simply wishing to plug in and forget. Not worrying about updates unable to be performed, not only at the Svc Center but if the vehicle does any OTA updates (? does NAV auto-update also sense a system fault so not able to be performed, etc.) No debate that replacing a fuse is a simple and rapid process for sure, and hard to argue the cost difference.

But, as my wife and I know little (if anything) about electronics, a doubt remained in my mind as to the effects of simply pulling the fuse after reading supersebbo's two posts: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=53 ; https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=74 . So being one to follow the old rule of 'being safe, not sorry', and that it was inexpensive and easy to do, the ASD harness was our choice.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #118
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Didn't anyone try the stereo with the engine off? I would assume ASD isn't altering the audio in any way when the engine is off (no fake sound to be made). So I'd expect that would give a very good indication of audio improvements if/when you do disable ASD.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #119
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Didn't anyone try the stereo with the engine off? I would assume ASD isn't altering the audio in any way when the engine is off (no fake sound to be made). So I'd expect that would give a very good indication of audio improvements if/when you do disable ASD.
Yes, a lot actually - while setting up the iDrive settings at initial purchase, but not with the purposeful intent of hearing how it sounded without ASD. That was before we knew much about ASD to be honest (never knew or remembered at least that BMW added fake engine noise to the interior cabin I guess). Which is why we were so disappointed with the HK sound while driving, despite changing the EQ around to try to find the right settings to capture what we initially heard with the engine off. Guess we just assumed the road and wind noise was dulling the clarity.

And I'm not sure sitting with the doors shut and engine not running will enable one to appreciate the sound with road and wind noise, which is when we're all listening to it when the ASD would be active. Suspect it's best to pull the fuse and drive some without it as some have suggested, then decide which long-term route you want to go if one decides they prefer it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #120
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
The reasoning is not necessarily true. It presumes that when the engine is off, the ASD module is electrically isolated from the amp. If it is not isolated, it may still interact with the amp and create distortion even though it is actually not producing any sound.

After installing the bypass harness, I can confirm that my FLAC music sounds much better to my ears (the usual disclaimer about placebo applies, this is not a double blind test). I found the difference quite noticeable even in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #121
gugin
United_States
Rep

Thank you, Max Well, for the fantastic photo tutorial, including the towel trick! I installed my bypass harness from Technic PNP on Saturday. The difference is quite remarkable.

For everyone's benefit, I did not find it necessary to actually dismount the ASD module using an M8 socket. The space is a little tight behind the amp, but it is pretty easy to unplug the original ASD harness connector if you understand that you must first release the latch that secures the little lever on the connector to be able to pull the connector out. I practiced releasing the latch on the bypass harness by plugging the harness into itself and then trying to unplug it. That way, I got the "feel" what I needed to do on the actual ASD module. The photo below shows the original ASD connector unplugged and the bypass harness plugged into the ASD module (kind of difficult to see due to the angle from which I took the photo). The only step that remains is to plug the original ASD connector into the harness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Panzer110.00
      02-20-2019, 12:12 AM   #122
gugin
United_States
Rep

Even though I like the quiet car after installing the bypass harness, there are times when I miss the ASD sound and would like to have it back. I decided to make a custom bypass harness that will allow me to turn ASD sound on or off. Because I have the HK audio, all I need is a "harness extension" on which I will install two 4-pole single throw switches that will allow me to transmit the ASD audio to the amp if I want the car to be loud, and interrupt it otherwise. Unfortunately, I cannot use the Technic bypass harness for that purpose because the ASD connector on the that harness has metal "inserts" only in the six female pin headers that have connecting wires. I need an ASD connector that has inserts in all the needed female pin headers (or all of the 42 female pin headers if such a connector exists). Perhaps one way to go would be purchase the OEM ASD harness and use it along with the Technic bypass harness to create the needed "extension." Does anyone know how to find the part number of the OEM ASD harness?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #123
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Imagine if Bmw discovered it's clients hidden needs and installed a simple button in the infotainment system to allow you to turn it off easily ; now that would be incredible
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #124
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

TLDR

I missed the part about why coding this out isn't the simplest solution ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Not just theoretical- radio has much cleaner sound with no ASD, especially the bass
yes.. agree.. this makes perfect sense..

the subs and low bass drivers are basically trying to play two " songs" at the same time.. Your audio.. and the car " sound" at the same time.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-04-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #125
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Bahahahaha jeez are we seriously in an age of such terrible sounding bmw engines that we need to add sound to the cabin?

Buy an e92 m3 and live a little!!
      03-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #126
Dillinger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Great thread! I'm disconnecting that fuse in my '18 M40i as soon as I get it back from the body shop (long, painful story). Hopefully Sport mode will be a little quieter. Love the performance, not the extra drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #127
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Hi all,

I've updated the title of this thread to reflect all of the methods (so far) for disconnecting ASD that the contributors to this thread have discovered and posted about. Thanks to everyone for your excellent, informative posts and for making this thread awesome! You all rock!

Methods:
1) Unplug the connector on the ASD mixing module (*works on HK equipped vehicles ONLY). See my original post below.
2) Take out fuse 218 (*works on HK equipped vehicles ONLY). See Pretzel's posts middle of page 3
3) Install the Technic bypass harness (works on HK equipped and base stereo vehicles). See Pretzel's post top of page 3

Method 1 - Unplug the connector on the ASD mixing module (*works on HK equipped vehicles only):

After reading several informative posts on here about disconnecting the ASD module (thanks to the OP's), I decided to try this on my X3 M40i. Turned out to be really easy and only took 10 minutes! Note that I have the Harmon Kardon sound system. Original posts are here:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1473441

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1082175

Now that I've had a chance to compare ASD on and off, I must say that I am surprised how loud the "fake" sound actually is when ASD is on. No offense to those that like ASD, but I've concluded that I definitely prefer it off. Here are the steps (See Max Well's post in the middle of page 1 for all of the pictures):

1. Remove the left cover in the cargo area to reveal the large amp. The ASD mixing module that looks like a "small amp" which you need access to is behind this (pictures #1 and #2).

2. Remove the 4 bolts (10mm socket) holding the black bracket to which the large amp is attached to get access to the ASD mixing module. You don't need to disconnect the large amp, just move it to the side. The grey connector which you need to disconnect is located at the bottom of the ASD mixing module (picture #3).

3. Remove the 1 bolt on the upper left hand side (10mm socket) holding the black bracket which the ASD mixing module is attached to, then rotate it clockwise (as shown in picture #4 with the connector already disconnected) to get access to the grey connector.

4. To disconnect the connector (shown facing you in picture #5), press the small grey square "in" with a flathead screwdriver, then slide the black lever over it and pull to disconnect.

Put everything back in reverse order, and enjoy your "natural" sounding vehicle!

Seems a lot of effort when you can just code it via BimmerCode from your phone.
Appreciate 2
jbed39.50
      03-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #128
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Seems a lot of effort when you can just code it via BimmerCode from your phone.

I just took the time to read the entire thread and I have no idea why an option other than coding is any "better " an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
Regular (non Harmon Kardon) stereo in my M40i, so that likely explains why the disconnect (plug or fuse) doesn’t work.

Just coded using BimmerCode while waiting for kids to come out of school - seems to be working (ASD turned off) as advertised.

I was previously a little nervous that “undoing it” would require restoring from a backup, but I guess I’ve grown more brave since my initial coding when I first had the car back in November.
ok so clearly coding is possible...and coding does NOT need to be switched back to stock prior to a dealer visit... as opposed to the other options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
Going forward, what do you think is the solution with the lowest maintenance to disable ASD with the Harman Kardon audio? From this and other threads I gather that the options are:

1) Unplug the connector on the small amp. However, it will need to be plugged back in before bringing the car in for service.
2) Take out fuse 218. Again, it will need to be re-inserted before service.
3) Code ASD off. I will need to code it back on before service as I am worried that the dealer will give me heat if I bring a coded car to the shop.
4) Install the Technic bypass harness. I emailed Technic asking them whether the harness works properly with the Harman Kardon audio or is only intended for base audio.

If the fourth option kills ASD sound while still keeping the ASD module "visible" to the dealer, I will go that route. After installing the bypass harness, I'll never have to mess with the system again. Seems like an ideal solution to me.
option 1 requires the wire to be connected prior to dealer service
option 2 (works on HK only) - requires the fuse to be connected prior to dealer service
option 3- no muss no fuss
option 4- after the initial install of the harness - no muss no fuss

personally.. I would think that coding is the easiest method..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-04-2019 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #129
gugin
United_States
Rep

It depends on what your objective is. If your goal is to merely disable ASD sound, coding it off is the easiest method. If your goal is to isolate the amp from the ASD module completely, then the bypass harness is the way to go, I think.

To be perfectly clear, the second goal may be achievable through coding. The AMPT ECU has an coding option called "ASD Input," which is set to "Aktiv [01]" by default. I don't know if coding this option to 0 will turn off the ASD input on the amp. If it does, then this could be the simplest method to remove the ASD module from the equation. I believe that BimmerCode codes the ASD module itself by changing the "Model Range" and "Engine" parameters to a chassis/engine combination that does produce any fake engine sound. But that is not the same as turning off the ASD input on the amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #130
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
theres people who actually like the asd?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #131
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've coded my ASD off since I received it but was coding mirror dip today and was looking around in Bimmercode app and in ASD expert mode there are different engines listed, default on mine is showing as S55 rather than B58 which seems odd?, anyone tried changing this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #132
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
Thank you, Max Well, for the fantastic photo tutorial, including the towel trick! I installed my bypass harness from Technic PNP on Saturday. The difference is quite remarkable.

For everyone's benefit, I did not find it necessary to actually dismount the ASD module using an M8 socket. The space is a little tight behind the amp, but it is pretty easy to unplug the original ASD harness connector if you understand that you must first release the latch that secures the little lever on the connector to be able to pull the connector out. I practiced releasing the latch on the bypass harness by plugging the harness into itself and then trying to unplug it. That way, I got the "feel" what I needed to do on the actual ASD module. The photo below shows the original ASD connector unplugged and the bypass harness plugged into the ASD module (kind of difficult to see due to the angle from which I took the photo). The only step that remains is to plug the original ASD connector into the harness.
Thanks for the info gugin . Just to clarify- you do need to remove the main amp though? I was hoping the plugging and unplugging of the ASD could be done blindly now that the operation of the connector is known or is the space too small?

When my son was young he loved to help run cat5 cables through the house. His small hands were useful in fishing the wires in the walls. Now he's bigger than I am so would need to put a grandchild to work instead.

For a switched approach I was contemplating cutting into the big red wire of the OEM harness. That's the power, so same as unplugging or pulling the fuse. Still may do this.
Appreciate 0