BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Hey everyone. I don't have an adaptive suspension on my M40i and so I was thinking about options to enhance the suspension (lowering, air etc). My goal is to retain the sport quality while adding some level of forgiveness. I also want to lower it ever so slightly as others in the forum have done.

So what does is the m sport suspension made of that can't already be had by using aftermarket components? And will adding aftermarket components actually degrade the suspension (because the M suspension is considered good already) or are aftermarket components (such as springs by H&M or Schnitzer) generally considered upgrades over stock M?

Someone school me, I'm new to this. Thx in advance.
      02-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

It is the "adding some level of forgiveness" comment, where it is harder to tune the stock M-sport suspension with aftermarket parts.

It is why users go the adaptive route, as that does allow a softer mode to the suspension.

Lowering typically stiffens the suspension, due to less spring travel, usually a higher spring rate. There may be some progressive springs which could give you what you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Does it have runf flats? If it does then changing to non RFT’s would be a good way to add some forgiveness, as well as many other benefits.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Does it have runf flats? If it does then changing to non RFT’s would be a good way to add some forgiveness, as well as many other benefits.
Good point, I was about to post a comment reference the wheels, after reading the OP's comment in the other topic where the kidneys are mentioned.

RFTs won't help the sensitivities. What wheel size is the OP running? Could they be down-sized as well? Get more comfort from the wheel/tire choice. May be the simplest and immediate solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #5
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

so if you gave up run-flats... what would be the go-to solution when you got a flat tyre assuming you weren't carrying a spare in the boot?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
so if you gave up run-flats... what would be the go-to solution when you got a flat tyre assuming you weren't carrying a spare in the boot?
Spare tire on roof...
Attached Images

2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
DADINO
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 25d M Sport

Quote:
Contiseal.........
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Easiest way is a flatbed.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Fix-a-flat?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #10
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I dont have a spare wheel just some gunk and a pump that is supposed to be squirted into the flat, I do have runflats though but theyre there to get you safely to the roadside not get you home, BMW assistance or a Roadside Recovery service should get you home or you could call a mobile tyre fitter
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It is the "adding some level of forgiveness" comment, where it is harder to tune the stock M-sport suspension with aftermarket parts.

It is why users go the adaptive route, as that does allow a softer mode to the suspension.

Lowering typically stiffens the suspension, due to less spring travel, usually a higher spring rate. There may be some progressive springs which could give you what you want.
Quote:

Thank you!!
      02-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Good point, I was about to post a comment reference the wheels, after reading the OP's comment in the other topic where the kidneys are mentioned.

RFTs won't help the sensitivities. What wheel size is the OP running? Could they be down-sized as well? Get more comfort from the wheel/tire choice. May be the simplest and immediate solution.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Does it have runf flats? If it does then changing to non RFT's would be a good way to add some forgiveness, as well as many other benefits.

I have 19s with RFTs. It's really not that bad but I was wondering if it could I could squeeze some more forgiveness out. Thanks for the great replies!
      02-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
A runflat, in theory, MUST be firmer than an equivalent non-runflat as the tires needs a firm structure to hold the shape of a tire without air. I have experience swapping low-profile/sporty factory runflats (ContiSportContact 5) for non runflats (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) of same size. The difference was significant it terms of smoothness. I would say a good non-runflat will absorb bumps better than an equivalent runflat.
Appreciate 0