BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #595
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I have the 30i....silver pipes. I noticed that after almost every drive, ONLY the right tailpipe gets exhaust residue on it. I have to wipe it off every time I see it. Very annoying....Maybe in comfort only one pipe gets the exhaust coming out of it. GRRRRRR.
      02-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #596
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
I have the 30i....silver pipes. I noticed that after almost every drive, ONLY the right tailpipe gets exhaust residue on it. I have to wipe it off every time I see it. Very annoying....Maybe in comfort only one pipe gets the exhaust coming out of it. GRRRRRR.
I remember F25 X3 also had its two pipes look differently after some time. I forgot what the reason was though. Maybe it can be found in the F25 X3 forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #597
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M_VV View Post
Quote:
I remember F25 X3 also had its two pipes look differently after some time. I forgot what the reason was though. Maybe it can be found in the F25 X3 forum.
Quote:
Quote:
I think my assumption is correct. The exhaust valves are at fault. Only using one pipe in Comfort Mode.
      02-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #598
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

PARKING. Way cool, the old model I had you had to control the gas when parking and such. I didn't realise this thing did it all itself. Keeping the finger on the parking button and just sit back and chew your finger nails!

Whereas I found a space I was unsure to get into, the parking advisor said noooo problem so I let her rip. Got in nicely (parallel parking spot).

Love the way that wheel spins soooo fast (not sure about the tyre wear if used repeatedly though, I was always told not to turn on the spot but be moving when turning the wheel to save tread over time - not sure if that's an old wive's tail though :-)
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
pej744593.00
      02-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #599
gooddog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
If temperature varies during this process, it doesn't matter one bit. The TPM sensors on the X3 measure temperature and pressure simultaneously, and the computer does simple math with the ideal gas law and understands the relationship between pressure and temperature. Whatever pressure you have set your new wheels/tires at becomes the new accepted pressure and the computer is smart enough to scale it up and down based on temperature. It can read a "hot" pressure/temperature combo and know how to extrapolate that to a "cold" condition.
Is it truly a fact that it monitors temp and pressure? I asked my service manager that exact question and he stated that the system only monitored pressure. I found that disappointing as my BMW K1600 monitors both, and when checked on the display, will read a constant pressure regardless of tire or outside temps.
Not trying to challenge your statement, just wonder if it's documented somewhere that I have not found.
Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #600
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
Is it truly a fact that it monitors temp and pressure? I asked my service manager that exact question and he stated that the system only monitored pressure. I found that disappointing as my BMW K1600 monitors both, and when checked on the display, will read a constant pressure regardless of tire or outside temps.
Not trying to challenge your statement, just wonder if it's documented somewhere that I have not found.
Thanks in advance,
Mine does - it shows pressure and temp - and the recommended pressure changes with temperature (I had 1 low tire last week during the cold snap so I kept getting an alert and the pressure would be different depending on if the tires were cold or warmed up from driving)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #601
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonEaDo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
Thanks in advance,
Mine does - it shows pressure and temp - and the recommended pressure changes with temperature (I had 1 low tire last week during the cold snap so I kept getting an alert and the pressure would be different depending on if the tires were cold or warmed up from driving)
I think the car computer also adapts to one's driving history.

For example, I have 20" summer and the original recommended tire pressure was 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. However, the car computer seems to think that I've been driving faster than normal, so it's now recommending 35 psi front and 38 rear, a setting that's normally recommended for those who do over 100 mph. Not sure if this is due to colder weather now... I can assure you that I don't regularly hit triple digits...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #602
gooddog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I think the car computer also adapts to one's driving history.

For example, I have 20" summer and the original recommended tire pressure was 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. However, the car computer seems to think that I've been driving faster than normal, so it's now recommending 35 psi front and 38 rear, a setting that's normally recommended for those who do over 100 mph. Not sure if this is due to colder weather now... I can assure you that I don't regularly hit triple digits...
Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #603
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think my assumption is correct. The exhaust valves are at fault. Only using one pipe in Comfort Mode.
Not so sure that is a fault...
      02-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #604
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Comfort Access for boot close and release...dangling the leg under the rear....it works really well! I'm shocked.
      02-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #605
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Comfort Access for boot close and release...dangling the leg under the rear....it works really well! I'm shocked.
LOL - Most folks (myself included) took a while to learn how to get 99% success rate on the boot kick... you must be really good at this dance

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #606
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
It’s great isn’t it! Just wish the tailgate would open a bit quicker.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #607
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
It’s great isn’t it! Just wish the tailgate would open a bit quicker.
+1
Just a slight increment in speed from F31 .. and a notch more quiet ..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #608
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
LOL - Most folks (myself included) took a while to learn how to get 99% success rate on the boot kick... you must be really good at this dance

I've watched a lot of Scott Smith BMW videos.

Closely.

Very Closely.
      02-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #609
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I've discovered that my G01 is not alone anymore.
At least three different M40i spotted, and at least four different 20d .. one in AW, that was not presenting the salty sh*t that well ...
Not any 20i or 30i yet ..
And this just around my side of Stockholm.
Appreciate 1
rem40i132.00
      02-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #610
DHA-uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Auxiluary heating has a disclaimer it needs fuel in the tank to be "sufficient". It worked today with 12litres remaining. Will try and work it lower to see what the cut off is.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #611
SonicBroom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30, 2018 G01

Phone dialpad

Maybe this is just new to me, but... I thought that I couldn't dial those DTMF tones for logging into conference calls and automated telephone prompts because there's no dial pad. But then I found out that a numeric keypad will pop up as I reach towards the touchscreen when the phone dialer wheel is on the screen.

Not sure how it sensed the proximity of the hand, though, as I don't have the gesture control option. But, whatever... I'm just happy to see it there.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      02-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #612
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBroom View Post
Maybe this is just new to me, but... I thought that I couldn't dial those DTMF tones for logging into conference calls and automated telephone prompts because there's no dial pad. But then I found out that a numeric keypad will pop up as I reach towards the touchscreen when the phone dialer wheel is on the screen.

Not sure how it sensed the proximity of the hand, though, as I don't have the gesture control option. But, whatever... I'm just happy to see it there.
Ah!

That happened the other day and I wondered how. thanks!

I also noticed today how nicely dampened the armrest is. It also just 'holds' any open position rather than rely on a ratchet system, a little like opening 7 series doors.
      02-15-2019, 02:43 AM   #613
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBroom View Post

I am pretty sure I have sent DTMF tones using the controller wheel during a call as well. Just select a digit and press.
      02-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #614
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
Nice to find that can switch the adaptive LEDs for driving on Left or Right through the iDrive menu.
No need to buy those sticky adapter things when travelling from the UK to mainland Europe.
Might still paint the lights yellow though.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #615
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

The illumination in the boot/trunk is very good. Forever I seem to remember the 1 or 2 lights inside the boot. Often blocked by things in there and sometimes at bight it blinds you looking for things.

The G series solution is great, a light either side that shines back into the boot and one above in the bottom of the hatch underside too for good measure.

Always the little un noticed things that make it 'work' and adds luxury.
Attached Images

chicagofan0019140.00
teaston10994.50
SROC31702.00
nogren327.00
      02-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #616
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
The illumination in the boot/trunk is very good. Forever I seem to remember the 1 or 2 lights inside the boot. Often blocked by things in there and sometimes at bight it blinds you looking for things.

The G series solution is great, a light either side that shines back into the boot and one above in the bottom of the hatch underside too for good measure.

Always the little un noticed things that make it 'work' and adds luxury.
There are so many little improvements like this on the Gxx, each one may seem like a small thing but when you add them all up it makes a big difference!
Appreciate 5
JustChris17487.50
SROC31702.00
pej744593.00