BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Levels of suspension stiffness

After reading multiple articles, I found there are two different understandings on this.

1) Four levels: Sports+, Sport, Comfort and Eco Pro
2) Two level: Sport+/Sport and Comfort/Eco Pro. Within same level the two modes differ in several ways but have same suspension stiffness.

Which understanding is correct for G01 X3 without adaptive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
Without Adaptive (non-DDC): the suspension is passive - there are no levels

With Adaptive (DDC): sport and comfort
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post

I think non-DDC suspension still has different levels with different driving modes, just it cannot be adjusted real time by car. Isn't it the case?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

There are only two levels with adaptive suspension...

Eco pro and comfort is the softer setting, whilst all the sport modes operate at the firmer setting. Adaptive switches between softer or firmer depending on how the car is being driven.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M_VV View Post
I think non-DDC suspension still has different levels with different driving modes, just it cannot be adjusted real time by car. Isn't it the case?
Non adaptive suspension is the same no matter what driving mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Like they said non Adaptive suspension does not change firness settings.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

With respect, I think that's over simplified.

Yes. Without "M Adaptive Suspection", you are stuck at one setting. I find this to be equivalent to Sport mode.

The adaptive suspension option however is not just "comfort" and "sport" Every mode tuned slightly different. Yes, when you select "Sport Individual" or "Eco Individual" you are presented with "comfort" or "sport", but even that is only somewhat true. Think of them more as targets.

In addition to the electronically controlled dampers, the active system had numerous sensors around the car, it's own processor and independent network bus. It also is fed information about engine, transmission, steering angel, etc. The system responds to demands within a few thousandths of a second to change suspension dynamics - whether to assist in ride comfort, dig into a corner or simply keep wheel planted firmly on the road when pavement is uneven.

Decent video explaining.

More explaining.. comparing Audi, BMW, MB.
      02-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #8
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
With respect, I think that's over simplified.

Yes. Without "M Adaptive Suspection", you are stuck at one setting. I find this to be equivalent to Sport mode.

The adaptive suspension option however is not just "comfort" and "sport" Every mode tuned slightly different. Yes, when you select "Sport Individual" or "Eco Individual" you are presented with "comfort" or "sport", but even that is only somewhat true. Think of them more as targets.

In addition to the electronically controlled dampers, the active system had numerous sensors around the car, it's own processor and independent network bus. It also is fed information about engine, transmission, steering angel, etc. The system responds to demands within a few thousandths of a second to change suspension dynamics - whether to assist in ride comfort, dig into a corner or simply keep wheel planted firmly on the road when pavement is uneven.

Decent video explaining.

More explaining.. comparing Audi, BMW, MB.
The first video you posted is of an M5/M6 which has three selectable damper modes: comfort, sport, and sport plus. This is completely different than the M40i system which offers two modes, or maps, and an adaptive mode which switches between the two maps. Some non-M BMWs with DDC offer a third mode which they call Comfort Plus, but it is only available on higher models such as the 7 Series. Even the second video you posted explains there are only two modes. The sport plus mode includes the sport suspension setting and "pushes boundaries of dynamic traction control" for the F3* in the video.

Last edited by tastes jigga; 02-14-2019 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The first video you posted is of an M5/M6 which has three selectable damper modes: comfort, sport, and sport plus. This is completely different than the M40i system which offers two modes, or maps, and an adaptive mode which switches between the two maps. Some non-M BMWs with DDC offer a third mode which they call Comfort Plus, but it is only available on higher models such as the 7 Series. Even the second video you posted explains there are only two modes. The sport plus mode includes the sport suspension setting and "pushes boundaries of dynamic traction control" for the F3* in the video.
Yes.. not the exact same application; but are you suggesting they are entirely different systems? That BMW develops entirely different systems for each model?

Of course they did not. Same system with slight updates / enhancements as the models and years go by with better (hopefully), cheaper sensors, cpu's and components. Sure, they might differentiate a true "M" car by adding a setting for "Sport Plus", but that's really hear nor there. (I do think X3 M40i is stiffer in Sport Plus than Sport Mode, BTW.) The main crux of my argument, admittedly poorly put, is this:

It's not just "Comfort" or "Sport" (or "Sport Plus"), the Adaptive M Suspension is fully dynamic and is continuously changing - not only to provide a desired level of comfort, but to keep the wheels firmly planted on the road.

IMO: It's the best bang for the buck option available for the X3.
      02-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep

So let's see whether my understanding is correct now: For G01 X3 (30i/M40i) without adaptive suspensions, although different driving modes may change throttle response and some other settings, they do not change suspension firmness at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
So let's see whether my understanding is correct now: For G01 X3 (30i/M40i) without adaptive suspensions, although different driving modes may change throttle response and some other settings, they do not change suspension firmness at all.
Correct, there is no cable going to the dampers, so no possible way of the suspension firmness changing.

The steering is made heavier in the sport modes, so to some people this will feel like the suspension is firmer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
If it is not Adaptive suspension then it's just passive springs suspension, one mode of suspension. A car can only work with what its given, thus steering and throttle mapping can change....but not adaptive dampers means no adaptive and one suspension setting.
      02-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Yes.. not the exact same application; but are you suggesting they are entirely different systems? That BMW develops entirely different systems for each model?

Of course they did not. Same system with slight updates / enhancements as the models and years go by with better (hopefully), cheaper sensors, cpu's and components. Sure, they might differentiate a true "M" car by adding a setting for "Sport Plus", but that's really hear nor there. (I do think X3 M40i is stiffer in Sport Plus than Sport Mode, BTW.) The main crux of my argument, admittedly poorly put, is this:

It's not just "Comfort" or "Sport" (or "Sport Plus"), the Adaptive M Suspension is fully dynamic and is continuously changing - not only to provide a desired level of comfort, but to keep the wheels firmly planted on the road.

IMO: It's the best bang for the buck option available for the X3.
The Driving Dynamic [Experience] Control system for real M models (except for non-LCI M2) are different than non-M models. The M series use individual buttons for steering, suspension, and engine/throttle. The non-M's use a different system that offers driving modes that include Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport, Adaptive, and the individual and Plus modes.

You are correct as stating the Adaptive suspension is dynamic as it is targeting certain ranges with the dampers and is constantly adjusting. However, selecting Comfort or Sport for the suspension changes the 'map' for the suspension which changes the targets and limits.

IT IS just Comfort or Sport (or Adaptive - which auto switches between the two modes). There is no official documentation suggesting otherwise. No offense, but you are posting incorrect information and obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest researching this further as there is an abundance of marketing information available directly from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #14
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Quote:
The Driving Dynamic [Experience] Control system for real M models (except for non-LCI M2) are different than non-M models. The M series use individual buttons for steering, suspension, and engine/throttle. The non-M's use a different system that offers driving modes that include Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport, Adaptive, and the individual and Plus modes.

You are correct as stating the Adaptive suspension is dynamic as it is targeting certain ranges with the dampers and is constantly adjusting. However, selecting Comfort or Sport for the suspension changes the 'map' for the suspension which changes the targets and limits.

IT IS just Comfort or Sport (or Adaptive - which auto switches between the two modes). There is no official documentation suggesting otherwise. No offense, but you are posting incorrect information and obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest researching this further as there is an abundance of marketing information available directly from BMW.
THIS 😎. The $700 Adaptive option is great and I have it, but let’s not make it anything that it isn’t.... it’s TWO choices basically, comfort, or slightly stiffer.
Appreciate 1
Fenders66.00
      02-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #15
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

This is how the technical document explains the G01 Adaptive dampers although it says for dynamic dampers and no mention and M Sport Adaptive that I can see, I assume the principal
Is the same though
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Which adaptive mode does the stock non-adaptive suspension compare to? (On either M40i or xdrive30i).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #17
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
Which adaptive mode does the stock non-adaptive suspension compare to? (On either M40i or xdrive30i).
It is somewhere in between. IMO, the standard M Sport suspension offered on the M40i is not as stiff as the Sport mode of the Adaptive M, but it is more stiff than the Comfort Mode of the Adaptive M. The first M40i I drove did not have the Adaptive suspension and I was very impressed with the balance! It's a nice compromise and I wish we had a middle mode on the Adaptive M suspension to be honest, although the Adaptive Mode does a good job of switching between the Comfort and Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
It is somewhere in between. IMO, the standard M Sport suspension offered on the M40i is not as stiff as the Sport mode of the Adaptive M, but it is more stiff than the Comfort Mode of the Adaptive M. The first M40i I drove did not have the Adaptive suspension and I was very impressed with the balance! It's a nice compromise and I wish we had a middle mode on the Adaptive M suspension to be honest, although the Adaptive Mode does a good job of switching between the Comfort and Sport.
Great! Thank you! So seems the adaptive may not be a "must have."
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #19
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To some of us, it is a 'must have' feature. This is my second BMW with DDC and I wouldn't have purchased the car without it. Even if you do not plan on driving the car in the sportier suspension mode, it will be slightly more comfortable than the m sport suspension. In my opinion, the adaptive m should be stock on the m40i.

That being said, you definitely do not need the Adaptive M suspension and can save the $700 if desired.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #20
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've driven all 3 these models (M40i Adaptive, M40i Static and 30i Static) for more than a week. The static M40i drives firm, like "Sport Mode" with the active suspension, but not as harsh as Sport Plus (agree to disagree with @tastes jigga on this). The 30i is entirely different. Very soft with lots of body roll in the corners - entirely different than either M40i option. If you want a firmer ride in the 30i, you need the M Sports package with or without the Adaptive M suspension. I have not driven that model, but expect it to be very similar to the M40i experience.
      02-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #21
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
There are only 2 modes for the adaptive suspension: Comfort and Sport
I am not sure this is true. On my car at least, if I set my suspension to comfort in individual sport, it is definitely more firm than comfort mode, but not as firm as in sport mode.
That is one weird sentence 😊
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #22
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
It definitely is a must have on the M40’s imo, even in comfort mode with my non run flat 19” winter tyres the ride is pretty hard. If you have run flats, especially 21’s then it would be absolutely essential imo.
Appreciate 0