BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
pchansen
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 X7 50i13%C2%92 X328i

Lift gate module replacement.

The 2013 28i i purchased has an inoperative electric lift gate. The module shows obvious signs of wate damage. The source of the water intrusion has been fixed. My question is a new module is over $300 and a used one is about 150 on eBay. My independent will charge $420 to install a new module and CODE it.
Is it true the module has to be coded to the vehicle.
Obviously I'd like to buy a used one and skip the whole codeing process if not necessary. If it is, would a Carly app do the trick?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Be a smart BMW owner/shopper....don't cheap out on parts (used Ebay, etc.). I presume you're referring to the liftgate spindle drive, is that correct? If so....Consider purchasing new from say FCP Euro (no, I don't work for them); they offer lifetime warranty on most of their parts.

If you can turn a wrench with a modest amount of proficency this is a pretty simple DIY job, look here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...locks/EzbERR8O.

You need to remove a couple of trim panels but that is simple. The TIS says the new actuator needs to be initialized using diagnostics, so that seems to say 'coding'. But I'm a bit wary of that need. With things like stuck sunroofs BMW cars can be 're-initialized' by user through sequence of push/hold actuation buttons, no connection to computer required. You'd need to research bit further on the coding stuff.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
pchansen
Private
Rep

Thanks for the response Bill. No, this is just a little grey box with 3 molex type plugs. It lives just to the left of the battery. It got wet and the IC inside if fried. I would think it would be just plug and play. I get where you're coming from. Multiple Audi's and Mercedes in my past. But as you are well aware, these things can nickel and dime you to death if you're not smart about it. I just found a used in on eBay for $55. Very tempting. Google 7327886.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchansen View Post
Thanks for the response Bill. No, this is just a little grey box with 3 molex type plugs. It lives just to the left of the battery. It got wet and the IC inside if fried. I would think it would be just plug and play. I get where you're coming from. Multiple Audi's and Mercedes in my past. But as you are well aware, these things can nickel and dime you to death if you're not smart about it. I just found a used in on eBay for $55. Very tempting. Google 7327886.
I see, well at that price if you can do the install you've little to lose- why not give it a go. Maybe you're mechanic will code it at n/c....it's probably about 5 minutes of work to connect to computer, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
pchansen
Private
Rep

That's what I was thinking. It would also give me an excuse to purchase a Carly or Foxwell scan tool/ coder. Any opinions there?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm using BimmerLink and BimmerCode phone apps - not done much work with them to date aside some custom coding for convenience related stuff. I read good things about the Foxwell product, might be the route to go- I see varied reports on Carly; it's monthly subscription I believe, that does not appeal to me.

You might peruse the 3 Series sedan forum about the fault code readers (F30), maybe some info, tho not all that many diy types there either- more people working on the older cars it seems.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
pchansen
Private
Rep

I wanted to update you all on my liftgate fix. Yes fixed! I purchased a liftgate module on eBay for $50. I replaced the old one and then plugged in my new Foxwell NT520. It wouldn't recognize my VIN no matter what I did. I manually entered the chassis code,year and engine and proceeded to find a few places where "liftgate module" was located in the sub menus. Nothing worked. Always the same message-"could not communicate with module". I unplugged the NT 520 and went back to open the rear hatch manually. About ¾ of the way to fulll open, I noticed a lot of resistance to me opening the liftgate any farther. Though that was kinda weird and out of curiosity, I pressed the close button on the liftgate and...... IT CLOSED!!' Pressed the open Handle and.... IT OPENED! Pressed on the trunk icon on the remote and ....IT CLOSED. Same when I went to open via the remote. IT OPENED. In the Settings menu, under rear hatch, it has a graphic depiction of the height the hatch opens, that was reset too. Bottom line- very nice vehicle with a rear hatch that now opens and closes automatically with no coding required!
The Foxwell is worthless imo. As of yet, I can't even get it to read my battery state, let alone code a new one. Get Bimmer Code.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear problem is fix, good deal in that used module.
Disappointing on Foxwell, hmmm.....not sure Bimmercode will do all the tricks based on my limited use of the app, but maybe it looks pretty comprehensive. Ditto for BimmerLink but not certain it will perform all diagnostics as Foxwell type device.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
pchansen
Private
Rep

I'm very frustrated that the Foxwell isn't living up to its hype. In addition to all the things you're supposed to be able to do with it, the instruction manual is basically useless. So for noobs to coding like me, you're left groping around in the dark, playing with menus that don't really do anything anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Too bad. For coding only, BimmerCode is pretty good- user interface could be bit more intuitive but in my limited experience it does perform the coding functions without a hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
pchansen
Private
Rep

Yep, it looks like I'll end up owning both.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
docCarbon
Rep
Drives: x3 35i, MaxPsi M3

I replaced mine a couple years back. Shortly after I purchased my X3 I found the rubber plugs in the lift gate weren't plugged in and rain water was pouring in them and filling the battery tray.

After you replace the module, you can use Esys and a ENET cable to get it to work. The procedure is relatively easy.

edit - glad you got it fixed.

Last edited by docCarbon; 02-28-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #13
imported_Riq
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 Manual

Quote:
I wanted to update you all on my liftgate fix. Yes fixed! I purchased a liftgate module on eBay for $50. I replaced the old one and then plugged in my new Foxwell NT520. It wouldn't recognize my VIN no matter what I did. I manually entered the chassis code,year and engine and proceeded to find a few places where "liftgate module" was located in the sub menus. Nothing worked. Always the same message-"could not communicate with module". I unplugged the NT 520 and went back to open the rear hatch manually. About ¾ of the way to fulll open, I noticed a lot of resistance to me opening the liftgate any farther. Though that was kinda weird and out of curiosity, I pressed the close button on the liftgate and...... IT CLOSED!!' Pressed the open Handle and.... IT OPENED! Pressed on the trunk icon on the remote and ....IT CLOSED. Same when I went to open via the remote. IT OPENED. In the Settings menu, under rear hatch, it has a graphic depiction of the height the hatch opens, that was reset too. Bottom line- very nice vehicle with a rear hatch that now opens and closes automatically with no coding required!
The Foxwell is worthless imo. As of yet, I can't even get it to read my battery state, let alone code a new one. Get Bimmer Code.

Can you specify what condition were you experimenting with the malfunction?
I bought a 2013 X3 with the system not operating. I can hear a relay "click" when pushing the close button but no operation. I thought it might be the actuator themselves but wouldn't think that both would fail, so maybe the module is my problem.

I second your opinion on the Foxwell. Have the same issues, so I feel I lost my money there. It does not connect properly. It's frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
pchansen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Riq View Post
Quote:

I bought a 2013 X3 with the system not operating. I can hear a relay "click" when pushing the close button but no operation. I thought it might be the actuator themselves but wouldn't think that both would fail, so maybe the module is my problem.

I second your opinion on the Foxwell. Have the same issues, so I feel I lost my money there. It does not connect properly. It's frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Riq View Post
Quote:

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. If I understand your first question, when I purchased the car, the lift gate module was disconnected and stored in the rear side well. I believe when the module is disconnected, it wouldn't throw any error codes. As a matter of fact, my car would do the same as yours- the lick would still engage electrically. When I tried to open the hatch either by using the keyfob, button in the driver's door jam or the actual handle on the lift gate, I would get the same click.
The module looked ok and I was tempted to plug it in and see what would happen. But instead I broke the seal on the module and opened it up. Once open, I could see the circuit board was corroded from water immersion.
I would check your module first before you start looking into replacing the struts.
It should be noted that I did purchase BimmerCode and it works reasonably well but curiously it would not recognize the liftgate module. I still think I need to take the car into a tech and have the liftgate properly coded. I can tell that it's not quite right. It is very slow in operation and it only will go up to about 90% of it full range of travel. That's annoying as I'm a tall man. Hope this helps.
...and yes, the Foxwell is so far completely useless and I'm not confident I'll ever get my money back.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 03:27 PM   #15
surpan
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2013

Does it require programming if I buy used from ebay?

Quote:
Hello,
I have the exact same problem and same model. X3 2013. Due to water get into tailgate control unit, tailgate stopped working. it's only opening and closing, but not moving up or coming down when i press the button.

replacing new one will apporx $700+. Please sugggest any specific seller from ebay. Also if only plug and play will work?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:56 PM   #16
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by surpan View Post
Hello,
I have the exact same problem and same model. X3 2013. Due to water get into tailgate control unit, tailgate stopped working. it's only opening and closing, but not moving up or coming down when i press the button.

replacing new one will apporx $700+. Please sugggest any specific seller from ebay. Also if only plug and play will work?
Considering that was 4 years ago, I bet the seller and price has changed. Go have a look to see if you can find anything cheaper. The prices of everything has gone up in the last 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #17
bryanl1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hi, I have a 2014 X3. The rear tailgate will open with key fob or button under dash, but not all the way. The tailgate will not close pressing the button. Occasionally it will close partially... Mechanic thinks that the left actuator (spindle) needs replacing based on what his diagnostics tell him (he's ex BMW mechanic, so knows his stuff). But very $$. Do you all think it is worth it for me to try the used control module option first as a DIY? FWIW, I checked the battery area where the module is, and it is bone dry...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 11:51 AM   #18
surpan
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl1 View Post
Hi, I have a 2014 X3. The rear tailgate will open with key fob or button under dash, but not all the way. The tailgate will not close pressing the button. Occasionally it will close partially... Mechanic thinks that the left actuator (spindle) needs replacing based on what his diagnostics tell him (he's ex BMW mechanic, so knows his stuff). But very $$. Do you all think it is worth it for me to try the used control module option first as a DIY? FWIW, I checked the battery area where the module is, and it is bone dry...
you can try replacing the controller - DYI. you can buy from ebay used one. mine worked after replacing the controller
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 04:04 PM   #19
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl1 View Post
Your "ex BMW mechanic, so knows his stuff" said the diag points to the actuator, but you want to try the module instead Why don't you ask them if you should change the module?
Appreciate 0