BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Auto Start/Stop question.

My 35d is due to have the winter tires put on and per my request have a 1st oil change (7,500 Km). Now I have also requested to have the auto start/stop reprogrammed/coded to stay on at the last setting as I really do not like it for the time being.

Now to my surprise the BMW dealer (the biggest and main importer in Switzerland tells me that all they can do is to have it totally deactivated - basically it's on or off, no in between.

I have read about people having it set to where, upon starting the car, it will automatically be to the last setting when the car was shut off.

What am I to tell them? Should I argue? Are there any service bulletins I could show them (without upsetting them ) Am I wrong and them right?

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Order what you need from April1.

It literally takes 10 minutes or less once you are familiar with coding.

The last setting is remembered and auto start/stop is re-enabled if you select EcoPro mode.
      10-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
pmacd55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 328 xi  [0.00]
Here is the thread that has the service bulletin:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...rvice+bulletin
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Thanks guys, I'm sure that it will work out after talking to them. I just want to be able to have the option to turn it back on should I have a need to.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I asked about the service bulletin in the US and they knew about it and fixed it. No issues at all here. Works as expected
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I asked about the service bulletin in the US and they knew about it and fixed it. No issues at all here. Works as expected
It's a shame but it seems that here in Switzerland they often try their best to resist change and are usually not forthcoming with info.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Any advantages to the ASS in a diesel? It seems the savings will be marginal.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Any advantages to the ASS in a diesel? It seems the savings will be marginal.
I honestly don't see one. But the system just irritating, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I honestly don't see one. But the system just irritating, in my opinion.
Agreed, but you sort of get used to it in time. Another attempt to reduce CO² and save the planet at your expense, but most manufacturers are at it. Possible saving for anyone doing lots of city driving, say 2%-3% of fuel bill which equates to €50 a year. However, this doesn’t account for additional stresses put on other components (starter motor) and thus reducing its life cycle and at a cost of five/ten times as much to replace including labour cost.

Similar to the eco-mode con (sleep mode) which purports to reduce fuel consumption by showing an arbitrary supposed saving, at the expense of reduced driveability.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Ya could reduce more CO² by eliminating the Chinese sourced content from the car.
      10-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

We have several left turn lights that seem rather long. I appreciate the auto start/stop function as I wait and wait and wait (it seems long to me).
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
Agreed, but you sort of get used to it in time. Another attempt to reduce CO² and save the planet at your expense, but most manufacturers are at it. Possible saving for anyone doing lots of city driving, say 2%-3% of fuel bill which equates to €50 a year. However, this doesn’t account for additional stresses put on other components (starter motor) and thus reducing its life cycle and at a cost of five/ten times as much to replace including labour cost.

Similar to the eco-mode con (sleep mode) which purports to reduce fuel consumption by showing an arbitrary supposed saving, at the expense of reduced driveability.
I totally agree. In addition to the starter motor there's the small issue of when the actual motor shudders back to life each time - somehow that cannot be good to have the motor go through that repeated on and off on every trip.

I also hate it when I get to a circle, come to a quick stop and (immediate) go because of an opportunity to slip in real fast. But no! the motor has already shut off and there is that delay, however small, to restart it. I think (in my opinion) that it is a safety risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
I totally agree. In addition to the starter motor there's the small issue of when the actual motor shudders back to life each time - somehow that cannot be good to have the motor go through that repeated on and off on every trip.

I also hate it when I get to a circle, come to a quick stop and (immediate) go because of an opportunity to slip in real fast. But no! the motor has already shut off and there is that delay, however small, to restart it. I think (in my opinion) that it is a safety risk.
You do know you can control whether it kicks it using the brake pedal? I've got used to it now (nearly 2 years in) and it rarely ever kicks in and stops the engine unless I want it to. The exception to this is when you have auto hold switched on

The main problem I have is the opposite: I stop somewhere like a 4-way traffic light crossroads and know I am in for a long wait, i press the brake pedal firmly for it to stop the engine and it doesn't stop (despite the engine being warm, no aircon etc). The next day it will stop with a cold engine only 1 minute into a journey with the blowers on. Sometimes it seems to randomly get it wrong which is frustrating

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The main problem I have is the opposite: I stop somewhere like a 4-way traffic light crossroads and know I am in for a long wait, i press the brake pedal firmly for it to stop the engine and it doesn't stop (despite the engine being warm, no aircon etc). The next day it will stop with a cold engine only 1 minute into a journey with the blowers on. Sometimes it seems to randomly get it wrong which is frustrating
Same as you, I reckon I have mastered the brake pedal technique for it not to switch off, but do find it annoying at times when it doesn’t turn off the engine when I expect and want it to, or it does, when I don't expect it because the engine is still cold!

Although I have got used to and quite accept ASS, I do feel that having acknowledged their customers’ preference for a “last user mode” on the feature in the US, they should also allow it in Europe but maybe it also depends on the particular dealer. The fact all M models (in US) now have this mode as the default setting from production clearly shows there is a requirement for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Well my 35d is in today with BMW (Switzerland) for that 1st oil change and winter tires, and they told me that there is absolutely no way to have the auto start/stop reprogrammed or even deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:

I completely agree with this, there have been times where I wanted to stop and then quickly pick up again but the engine had stopped meaning I wasn't able to safely get into the gap I could have got if the car hadn't shut down. I really believe (as another poster has already mentioned) that for the minimal fuel saving its not worth the additional wear on all the other components, regardless if they have been 'beefed up'.

Its merely a PR exercise for the manufacturers and needless to say I was so frustrated with it I went the coding route so I could enable the last setting memory. Now its off and it stays off.

If you want to save the planet buy a different car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #17
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

Same here, I understand it is battery management but it does appear a bit random some times.

The resistance to ASS is probably more because the default is ON. If users did not have to think about it then they would not bother. It is a good system I use it all the time - along with Auto Hold. I paid a lot of money for this technology and it seems silly not to use it.

It does work and does save money, it is just the cynics who seem to make the most noise. With diesel at nearly $8.70 for a US gallon (£6.50 for UK gallon), then every saving helps!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #18
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Just to confirm about the brake pedal mode-
1- If I lightly brake up to a set of lights, the ASS deosn't kick in.
2- If I press the brake pedal slightly more the ASS kicks in (most times!)
3- If I press the brake pedal even harder the engine restarts (i.e. ASS override)

The issue I have with ASS, as has already been mentioned- when it doesn't kick in i.e. you get the 'ASS with the line through' symbol, you get no indication why the ASS is disabled.
On a recent trip into London I used the different ASS modes.

1- Short stop traffic i.e. 5 to 10 seconds- normal ASS
2- Longer stop traffic above ASS but with Auto Hold- allows you to take foot off brake pedal. Thottle restarts engine
3- Very short stop traffic i.e. disable ASS, or brake lightly
4- Waiting to pull out from a junction into fast traffic or going for a 'gap'- disable ASS- engage Sport mode!!

Simple- NOT
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

I might have an issue with the Auto Start/Stop (I don't want to phrase it as "i have problem with my ASS....)

It's a couple of days that if the engine goes on before I release the brakes (a long stay with A/C on that requires the engine to be on etc...) or even just exactly
when releasing the brake, the gearbox automatically puts itself in the "Parking" position. I realised this because I was revving high and standing, I doesn't happen systematically, but it does happen :-(

What could it be ?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Couple of points:

I noticed today that if I'm waiting at lights with tha ASS having stopped the engine, if I move the steering wheel the engine re-starts.

I asked my UK dealer if they could perform the "remember last ASS mode selection" modification on my car, I was told that in order to maintain the claimed emissions for my car (the one used for my personal taxation purposes since mine is a company car) BMW UK are not alowed to make any modifications that would be detrimental to to those emissions - I can see their point I guess. April1's kit did the trick though!
      11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
I noticed today that if I'm waiting at lights with tha ASS having stopped the engine, if I move the steering wheel the engine re-starts.
This is by design. I use it every now and again as a way to quickly cancel an unexpected ASS

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
dchao
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

I've notices that any equipment uses a lot of battery power (Power Streering, A/C) can trigger the ASS to start the engine, in order to top up the battery, preventing it going flat.
Appreciate 0