BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I cant decide how to make it louder.

RG Midpipe or Dinan axleback+pipe. I want low end loud not rasp. Has anyone heard both of these to describe it, the youtube vids just arent helping with the decision.

I dont wanna piss off the neighborhood, but I want a little more sound out of my euro marshmellow.

What are people going with for more sound?>
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #2
lolo-comp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC

I did the dinan x pipe resonator delete and its perfect for me now. I dont like the company but the product is good. Louder than stock but not crazy wake the neighbors loud
Appreciate 2
thestimp975.00
bear1m87.00
      03-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

Resonator delete plus valve manipulator.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:39 PM   #4
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by napeHbNYC View Post
Resonator delete plus valve manipulator.
So this:
https://www.dinancars.com/products/e.../D660-0086-BLK

With this?
https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...3612373&aff=26
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 10:42 PM   #5
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F91, previously F98

I did the midpipe first, then recently added the dinan axel back. pretty cool now. also running catless dps for the full set-up. I had to wait around 2 mo for the dinan, it was back ordered
Appreciate 1
thestimp975.00
      03-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

I'm running just the RG Sport midpipe, love it. It's the perfect level of volume for me. Cold start is a little loud but not obnoxious, but pretty quiet once the revs drop in efficient mode. It's also nice and loud when you put the car in sport plus.

I do find it to be a bit raspy around the 2k mark, but I enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
thestimp975.00
      03-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
Spiewakov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 FDG & 22 X3M BG

Has anybody tried the Dinan Resonator delete?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspiewak View Post
Has anybody tried the Dinan Resonator delete?
2nd post guy said he likes it. I've heard it keeps the same sound but makes it a little louder.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #9
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunablue1 View Post
I'm running just the RG Sport midpipe, love it. It's the perfect level of volume for me. Cold start is a little loud but not obnoxious, but pretty quiet once the revs drop in efficient mode. It's also nice and loud when you put the car in sport plus.

I do find it to be a bit raspy around the 2k mark, but I enjoy it.
I live in row houses so ideally cant have something that barks awake like my F80 in fear of pitchforks and torches showing up.....Good to know about rasp,
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 10:01 AM   #10
BadGTR
badgtr
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTR & 13 m5 stage II tuned

Mid pipe is an improvement, but nothing dramatic in loudness and if you button off the valves it is still very calm. I would like to add the catback to my mid pipe and think that would be the hot tickets. Catless mids I think may add the raspy not desired.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #11
Spiewakov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 FDG & 22 X3M BG

I am looking to get as loud as possible. My neighbors all have loud cars so don't really care about that. I did a simple mod on my x4m40 MHD tune and the exhaust was so much louder. I wish there was something like that for the x3m comp. I think I am going to try the res delete and the valve manipulator. Hoping it yields the results.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #12
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspiewak View Post
I am looking to get as loud as possible. My neighbors all have loud cars so don't really care about that. I did a simple mod on my x4m40 MHD tune and the exhaust was so much louder. I wish there was something like that for the x3m comp. I think I am going to try the res delete and the valve manipulator. Hoping it yields the results.
the loudest would be a set-up like mine. catless dps, catless non-resonated midpipe, axel-back performance muffler. Or to go supremely loud, no muffler, just get straight piping done, but I wouldn't do that bc it pretty much acts straight piped with the valves open. when the valves close is when the gas is pushed into the muffler, open it just flows out with very minimial gas into the muffler
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #13
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
I live in row houses so ideally cant have something that barks awake like my F80 in fear of pitchforks and torches showing up.....Good to know about rasp,
I had a big problem with the 2k rpm rasp. I've spoken with many members here and all that have the rgsport/er midpipe have that rasp in every gear right around the 1.8k-2.5k rpm. others who have a midpipe but a different brand do not have this rasp. some people sold their rgsport midpipe bc of this. I'm not sure if its the h-pipe design since it is the only one that incorporates that. i have catless dps so mine was really bad. the dinan axel back helped it out a lot but i still do get a rasp around that range but its not that high-pitched honda civic sound anymore. I personally wouldnt worry too much about it since youll maybe be driving slow in your neighborhood and it wont really happen. but on the road, man it gets REALLY annoying. That's why I was either going go stock again or try an axel-back. I'm sticking to my set-up purly for performance, I need that unrestircted airflow.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #14
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltMyWay View Post
I had a big problem with the 2k rpm rasp. I've spoken with many members here and all that have the rgsport/er midpipe have that rasp in every gear right around the 1.8k-2.5k rpm. others who have a midpipe but a different brand do not have this rasp. some people sold their rgsport midpipe bc of this. I'm not sure if its the h-pipe design since it is the only one that incorporates that. i have catless dps so mine was really bad. the dinan axel back helped it out a lot but i still do get a rasp around that range but its not that high-pitched honda civic sound anymore. I personally wouldnt worry too much about it since youll maybe be driving slow in your neighborhood and it wont really happen. but on the road, man it gets REALLY annoying. That's why I was either going go stock again or try an axel-back. I'm sticking to my set-up purly for performance, I need that unrestircted airflow.
Perfect thank you, I think I'm going the dinan route then. Was that noticeably louder than the competition exhaust? I think thats everyone's question too.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2022, 01:30 PM   #15
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Perfect thank you, I think I'm going the dinan route then. Was that noticeably louder than the competition exhaust? I think thats everyone's question too.
Yes and no. Meaning the pitch/tone of the noise is different in and of itself. Pretty different. Sounds more like a lower pitched sports car. I love it. The stock was like just whatever, nothing special, but the dinan does sound special. Like if you hear the dinan coming down the street and pass you, you'll look wat what car was taht bc it sounds cool, but stock you may not look as much. As for the noise in decible loudness, a little bit, but I think its the tone that is more emphasized than the decibles, but yes an increase but its secondary, the primary is the change in tone. Plus those tips, I got the black, man are oscar mayer beefy!
Appreciate 1
thestimp975.00
      03-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #16
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
I met up with bmwmdistrict yesterday and asked him about his setup: ER mid-pipe + Dinan axel-back. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear it (sold) but I found his input valuable.

He said if he were to do it all over again, he would go Dinan axel-back + Dinan x-pipe. Another member in MD has that same setup and he said it sounded great.

Personally, I think I'm going to go Dinan x-pipe, see how it sounds with the LCI Comp exhaust and then decide if axel-back is necessary.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #17
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
I met up with bmwmdistrict yesterday and asked him about his setup: ER mid-pipe + Dinan axel-back. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear it (sold) but I found his input valuable.

He said if he were to do it all over again, he would go Dinan axel-back + Dinan x-pipe. Another member in MD has that same setup and he said it sounded great.

Personally, I think I'm going to go Dinan x-pipe, see how it sounds with the LCI Comp exhaust and then decide if axel-back is necessary.
That was my original plan, but that causes me to cut twice which worries me about restoring down the road or changing setups. If you go that route anytime soon let me know, I'm pulling the trigger in late April.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #18
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Hey guys yeah if I could do it all over again I'd get the Dinan x-pipe and call it a day. I wouldn't change the stock muffler/axleback and I wouldn't get the RG midpipe.

So here's the thing. Under hard acceleration, spirited driving the Dinan axleback and RG midpipe sounds incredible. But it's very loud.

The cold start with this setup was embarrassingly loud. I'd call it borderline obnoxious. I've heard louder of course, like on a Vette or Charger. But it's close. For a quiet neighborhood, early morning or late night returns home, you're going to piss off your neighbors full stop with this exhaust.

I no exaggeration parked in a shopping plaza in the back, did a cold start and walked about a good 30-40 yards to the entrance of the store and could hear my car over anything else. It's just too loud with the Dinan axle back screaming and non-resonated midpipe at cold start.

I regrettably trashed my stock midpipe and axle back and let this be a lesson, hold onto stock parts if you have the room. Otherwise it's expensive or difficult to source replacements. I traded in my X as-is since I had no spare parts.

Don't get me wrong, for many of the driving conditions the Dinan + RG midpipe sounded incredible. But I got that annoying low-RPM buzzing from a dead stop, and bad drone at 1.8-2.2K RPMs no matter what gear I was in.

Save yourself a ton of money and get the Dinan x-pipe. If it's still too quiet for you, then get the RG midpipe. But definitely save yourself like $3K in parts + install of the Dinan axleback. Unless you go with the stock midpipe and just a Dinan axle back only.

Also FWIW, most dealers really do care about the factory exhaust being replaced, and it will negatively impact your trade-in value by a couple grand. I luckily negotiated well with the dealer I traded into and they just wanted my X bad enough I guess on the lot to give me a generous trade-in despite the exhaust mods.
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2022, 06:51 PM   #19
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post

I'm that other member! Ha! I love the Dinan combo. If anyone wants to meet in MD to hear it id be happy to oblige
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2022, 10:17 PM   #20
lolo-comp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC

I am in complete agreement with bmwdistrict. I agree with everything he said. The RG mid pipe is very loud and cold start was just too loud for me. The Dinan X pipe is the perfect level of loud for me. If you want the loudest you can get, the RG mid pipe is what you want, if you want louder than stock then Dinan X pipe.

Here is the link: https://www.dinancars.com/products/e...arts/D660-0087
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 01:33 AM   #21
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

I agree with everyone here. The only reason I have my set-up is becuase of performance, but if performance was a non-issue and purly noise, like not obnoxious noise, but like OEM+, I would 100% not do the rg sport/er midpipe, along with many others I talked to. Anyone that expierenced the dinan x-pipe loved it.

I would First try that. If it's not enough, then you may want to look into catless dps for the cheaper option or the dinan axel-back. Dinan has the largest muffler from all the other brands, thereby being the lowest tone/rasp/decible one, and it's the cheapest from the others--which are just absurd prices imo. Dinan muffler would be a little over 2x the price of dps, but you get a visual mod too and wont be as loud bc all the cats are in place, plus no cel if not tuned.
Appreciate 1