BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

Identifying Options for the X3 F25

This forum has provided a WEALTH of information for me - here's a little something back all in one place that hopefully will show up in a search for someone looking to "figure out" options and opportunities while shopping for their future F25.

For many / all this is old and assumed standard information.
For newbies / these are checklist items that you don't know until you know.

I think we can ALL agree that for this model of vehicle - buyer's vigilance is due! Now these cars are getting up there in miles, and have widely varied histories - - know what you're buying!

By just looking at the seller's photos / here's a BRIEF rundown of what to look for to identify if the vehicle has the options that you're looking for (without performing a VIN search).

In particular / shopping for the LCI versions.... '15, '16, and '17 year models

The M-Sport appearance package is pretty easy.........
*wider black openings below the fog lamps in the front bumper
*different 3-spoke steering wheel with the m-badge in the lower spoke
*larger shift control knob with a wider "p" button at the top vs the standard skinny shift knob with the smaller 'p' button on the top.
*sportier wheels vs the standard twisted spoke

We ALL know how much the halogen headlamps SUCK.

Headlights:
ALWAYS check this first.

Halogen = only bottom half of low beams illuminate for DRL (daytime running lights), and you can clearly see the bulb in the lower bottom of the housing - and - NO angel eye rings around the reflectors.

Xenon = you can see the projector domed lens clearly, as well as the LED angel eye rings around them used for DRL.

Drivers Assistance Package:
Front end collision avoidance, Blind spot detection, and 360 degree camera view.

Two indicators for these options are
[a] the camera in between the kidney grills just above bumper height / clearly visible when present
- AND -
[b] in the cabin, between the front vents on the dash / instead of just a single button for the hazard lights - that is half size and there is a second button in this space right below it - - this lower button allows you to select or deselect the safety options in this package

Parking:
360 degree overhead bird's eye viewing of the camera angles

Right beside the shifter control knob/stem,
there are three possible buttons.
*ONE - Hill Descent Control - controls breaking and throttle while mitigating steep embankments while you're off-roading or rock crawling (lol)
Most have this button (but not all)
*TWO - Park Distance Control - deactivates alerts given by parking distance sensors in the bumpers / AND (when equipped) / activates or deactivates the camera views for your 360 degree cameras
*THREE - Surround View - this button activates and/or toggles viewing from your front and/or side surround view cameras

When I was shopping for my X3, I looked for these things up front, and was easily able to identify and determine very quickly which cars did and did not have these options at a glance.

Standard HiFi stereo vs Harmon Kardon surround stereo:
the words "Harmon Kardon" are on the grills in both front door cards.

HUD (heads up display):
I didn't really find a "tell" on this one other than to try to catch a shot of the dash in front of the driver, but most photos don't show these angles very well.

X-Line Package
*silver blades in the front air dam openings in the front bumper under the fog lamps
*silver rocker panel trim
*gloss black B pillars
* silver rear facia panel
*satin dual exhaust tips
*silver trim on key fob(s)
*"X" embossed in leather headrests (some, not all)
*silver sill plates with x-drive wording at the front doors
*19" Y-spoke wheels

'15 and '16 year models = iDrive 4
'17 year models (some, but not all) = iDrive 5

The main differences between i4 and i5 are how well the software performs.
Voice commands in i5 are FAR superior and easier to use then in i4 in my experience. i5 controls and menu options are easier to identify and use vs the older i4 which is more analog in feel and design.

Heated Seats:
front = buttons on opposite sides of the hvac controls
back = buttons on opposite sides of the power port @ rear of center console

I'm certain there are probably many other 'tells' that can help identify the vehicle's included options / and hopefully others will chime in below with what they know - - but these were what I used in my search.

I was able to hunt down the exact car optioned the way I wanted it using these little keys.

Hope it can help you, too!
Appreciate 3
      01-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
TylerDZHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330ci ZHP 6spd, 17' X3 35i

Very nice post! I also became very adept at looking at pictures to tell the options as well when I was looking for my ideal spec (35i, mineral white, mocha, tech, cold weather, x-line) last year. This was a bit easier for me because I was only looking for 2017 xdrive35i.

You can also use this website - https://www.mdecoder.com/ to find the options installed if you have the VIN 3-5 times a day IIRC. You could use it on your phone (cell service), home computer internet, VPNs for additional uses per day if you want.

The additional info I'm providing should be relevant for all US spec LCI X3s, may differ for other regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox9 View Post

Headlights:
ALWAYS check this first.

Halogen = only bottom half of low beams illuminate for DRL (daytime running lights), and you can clearly see the bulb in the lower bottom of the housing - and - NO angel eye rings around the reflectors.

Xenon = you can see the projector domed lens clearly, as well as the LED angel eye rings around them used for DRL.
Any xdrive35i is going to have xenon at minimum. It seemed like the halo rings were thicker and more pronounced with the X3s optioned with LED headlights on the ones I looked at.

Quote:
Front end collision avoidance, Blind spot detection, and 360 degree camera view.

[a] the camera in between the kidney grills just above bumper height / clearly visible when present
- AND -
[b] in the cabin, between the front vents on the dash / instead of just a single button for the hazard lights - that is half size and there is a second button in this space right below it - - this lower button allows you to select or deselect the safety options in this package
Another indicator is a yield or caution like symbol in the black plastic housing of the mirror visible when looking out the front or passenger windows. It can be seen when not illuminated.

Quote:
HUD (heads up display):
I didn't really find a "tell" on this one other than to try to catch a shot of the dash in front of the driver, but most photos don't show these angles very well.
If you can't see the dash cutout for the HUD in front of the driver look for the extended LCD display in the gauge cluster. Like this picture.
View post on imgur.com

It indicates the tech package installed and HUD comes with tech package.

Quote:
Heated Seats:
Cold weather package equipped - heated steering wheel (button on left side of steering column), heated rear seats.
Appreciate 1
dtox9336.00
      01-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #3
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Just some info for pre-LCI models,

Quote:

- AND -
The DA packages (since there's I and II) shuffled a bit throughout the years. Blind-spot was an order-only option and not a part of any package it is extremely rare.
There's no center button like LCI models, that is the lock/unlock button. There are two switches for collision avoidance and lane-keep next to the steering wheel. Oddly, no HUD button like other models.

Quote:
*THREE - Surround View - this button activates and/or toggles viewing from your front and/or side surround view cameras
Surround-view on pre-LCI models does not have a front camera and there is no button just PDC.

Also not sure if it's just pre-LCI but the visual things you can see with Cold Weather Package include headlight washers (Unless are deleted with M-Sport package).

Last edited by okayr; 01-17-2022 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
dtox9336.00
      01-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #4
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

Here are some photos I harvested online showing you some of the buttons and features I mentioned in the original post...

Sorry I didn't think to include them with the first posting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:55 AM   #5
kzgdriver
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 x35i

Great info, thanks so much for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
bardigones
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 / G01

Thank you for this very informative post

Quote:
This forum has provided a WEALTH of information for me - here's a little something back all in one place that hopefully will show up in a search for someone looking to "figure out" options and opportunities while shopping for their future F25.

For many / all this is old and assumed standard information.
For newbies / these are checklist items that you don't know until you know.

I think we can ALL agree that for this model of vehicle - buyer's vigilance is due! Now these cars are getting up there in miles, and have widely varied histories - - know what you're buying!

By just looking at the seller's photos / here's a BRIEF rundown of what to look for to identify if the vehicle has the options that you're looking for (without performing a VIN search).

In particular / shopping for the LCI versions.... '15, '16, and '17 year models

The M-Sport appearance package is pretty easy.........
*wider black openings below the fog lamps in the front bumper
*different 3-spoke steering wheel with the m-badge in the lower spoke
*larger shift control knob with a wider "p" button at the top vs the standard skinny shift knob with the smaller 'p' button on the top.
*sportier wheels vs the standard twisted spoke

Headlights:
ALWAYS check this first.

- AND -

Parking:
360 degree overhead bird's eye viewing of the camera angles

Right beside the shifter control knob/stem,
there are three possible buttons.
*ONE - Hill Descent Control - controls breaking and throttle while mitigating steep embankments while you're off-roading or rock crawling (lol)
Most have this button (but not all)
*TWO - Park Distance Control - deactivates alerts given by parking distance sensors in the bumpers / AND (when equipped) / activates or deactivates the camera views for your 360 degree cameras

When I was shopping for my X3, I looked for these things up front, and was easily able to identify and determine very quickly which cars did and did not have these options at a glance.

Standard HiFi stereo vs Harmon Kardon surround stereo:
the words "Harmon Kardon" are on the grills in both front door cards.

HUD (heads up display):

X-Line Package
*silver blades in the front air dam openings in the front bumper under the fog lamps
*silver rocker panel trim
*gloss black B pillars
* silver rear facia panel
*satin dual exhaust tips
*silver trim on key fob(s)
*"X" embossed in leather headrests (some, not all)
*silver sill plates with x-drive wording at the front doors
*19" Y-spoke wheels

'15 and '16 year models = iDrive 4
'17 year models (some, but not all) = iDrive 5

The main differences between i4 and i5 are how well the software performs.
Voice commands in i5 are FAR superior and easier to use then in i4 in my experience. i5 controls and menu options are easier to identify and use vs the older i4 which is more analog in feel and design.

Heated Seats:

I'm certain there are probably many other 'tells' that can help identify the vehicle's included options / and hopefully others will chime in below with what they know - - but these were what I used in my search.

I was able to hunt down the exact car optioned the way I wanted it using these little keys.

Hope it can help you, too!
Appreciate 0