BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #1
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Car won’t remember last track on phone

Whenever I play an album from my phone (I don’t have CarPlay) and turn the engine off, the car doesn’t remember what album I was playing, and goes back to the first song, alphabetically, on my phone.

Has anyone else encountered this, and is there a setting to remember the last song/ album being played?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
DHA-uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Had the same issue on my previous (F80 no CarPlay) BMW as well. I think it is the usb connection and how the phone/itunes responds. Other than selecting a song, pressing play on the phone, then connecting there wasn't a fix I could find
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I’ve found the same issue! I’d probably have gone with CarPlay but don’t like the way that it’s either CarPlay or iDrive on the display.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I've had this same experience across several different brand of vehicles. As stated by DHA-uk, it's more of how the phone/itunes responds to the USB/BT connection of the phone after the car has been turned off for a certain period of time. In my past vehicle before the X3 (Chevy Tahoe) it would start playing the last song I was on so long as it wasn't too long of a time between turning off the truck and restarting it. It seems like if it was more than 10 minutes it would just start to play the first song on the phone again.

In the X3 with CarPlay, I haven't had a single issue except for if I happened to have closed out the Apple Music app while I was away from the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      02-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I've had this same experience across several different brand of vehicles. As stated by DHA-uk, it's more of how the phone/itunes responds to the USB/BT connection of the phone after the car has been turned off for a certain period of time. In my past vehicle before the X3 (Chevy Tahoe) it would start playing the last song I was on so long as it wasn't too long of a time between turning off the truck and restarting it. It seems like if it was more than 10 minutes it would just start to play the first song on the phone again.

In the X3 with CarPlay, I haven't had a single issue except for if I happened to have closed out the Apple Music app while I was away from the vehicle.
Same here. Carplay performs flawlessly and to what the OP wants - I would try and retrofit it if possible.
      02-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I have CarPlay in my X3, so not an issue.

However, I also have a couple of Toyota without CarPlay (my wife's and my daughter's cars) and they do exactly the same when I drive - play the song from the start of all songs stored in my phone. These cars won't automatically play my favorite Play list. The only thing I could do is set 'random' so I don't have to listen to the same set of songs over and over agin when I'm in their cars.

I would suggest you experiment, by opening Music App and get back to a particular play list or song you want to start. Then proceed to connect your phone to X3 with the App active, and see if that helps the car recognize where you want the music to start playing. No guarantee of success though but good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
Hairysteve
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, F40 135i

Garage List
Hi Lux700 it really is quite easy to switch from Carplay to iDrive and back again. For example I can be using podcast on carplay and move from Waze back to iDrive satnav and still have podcast running
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 04:55 AM   #8
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Thanks guys, I’ll just select the song on the phone, then connect, from now on.
Appreciate 0