BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2023, 05:02 AM   #1
lambo911
Rep
Drives: F31 330XD

VTG Calibration - ISTA connection - which cable

Hi All,

I have a 3.0 petrol Sport.

The VTG actuator had stopped working, cleaning the motor brushes fixed the problem. Gear wheel was fine.

I now have the 54C4 VTG Calibration faulty - with the 4x4, ABS and Brake warning lights on the dash.

I have tried to recalibrate with a Foxwell NT510 but VTG function check fails.
I have set up ISTA and I can connect and view the VTG error but when I tried to trigger calibration I get a communication fault.

Error is 'ERROR ECU CONDITIONS NOT CORRECT OR REQUEST SEQUENCE ERROR'

I am wondering if I have the wrong cable. I am using a K+DCAN which has a switch and I needed to switch it to the right to get INPA to connect. Is this making it a K-Line type or do I need a bespoke K-Line cable ?

Does anyone know ?

Also can I actually recalibrate the VTG and set VTG oil change with ISTA on this car ?

I do have a spare VTG ECU controller and I have tried both so I don't think it is an issue with that.

Please help... I have spent ages trying to sort this and it is getting depressing now

Cheers
Richard

Last edited by lambo911; 01-30-2023 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
Ralph11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 e83

Hi Richard,
Since you get connection with the car and the SW (and can read errors) i assume there is no issue with your cable, this should work…. I had once a defect cable and could not connect at all, i bought a new one with switch and now it works fine ( on the correct switch position of course). With Ista, dont use the service / calibration routine and better access the transfer case board directly, there you can reset the oil to zero and calibrate various things, try the different routines (start with new actuator)…. you may want to check again the connectors on the actuator motor and make sure to use the calibration resistor which was on the car before (dont know if you have more then one)….. This way it worked on my car….. But did not fix my other issues below in the forum, at least my tc shows calibrated
Hope this helps for your issue!

Cheers Ralph
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 09:23 AM   #3
lambo911
Rep
Drives: F31 330XD

Thanks Ralph.

Do you know the ISTA menu/tabs path to get to transfer case board directly please ?

I am currently using the original actuator with its resistor.

Cheers

Last edited by lambo911; 01-30-2023 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 12:20 AM   #4
Ralph11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 e83

Don’t remember exactly, but I used one of the two and it worked for my vtg:

The easiest reset is using ISTA. Scan the vehicle and then select "vehicle management" tab then select "service functions" then go to
"Power train" then select " Transfer box/ transmission control" then select "repair." Click on display and this service function will take you through the transfer case reset.

Fahrzeugbehandlung -> Fehlersuche -> Antrieb -> Getriebe -> Prüfplan berechnen .....dann Prüfplan
abarbeiten bei dem Getriebefehler!

Hope this helps & cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 04:54 PM   #5
Zitsw1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528xi 2008

Hi, did you solve this problem, I have the same, I can’t calibrate my TC after I change everything (TC, servomotor, vtg module) I’m still not able to calibrate it
Appreciate 0