BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2023, 09:19 PM   #1
Nyc_driv3r
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Brooklyn Grey X3mc

Garage List
Brake issues

So, I was away for a few weeeks and didn’t drive my x3m. When I returned I noticed there was some sort of rust on the rotors. From experience, I know this can happen. I drove the car and did a bedding process to remove it. I guess it was bad because it was like this for over a week. I was experiencing vibrating at the wheel and a horrible sound while braking.
Took the car into the dealer and they state they can’t find anything wrong even though I told them the rotors feel warped.
They also stated that they found paint from the wheels on the hub from when I painted my wheels. I’ve never painted my wheels and they are claiming there’s nothing they can do and I should pick up my vehicle. They also told me to contact the sales dept to find out if the wheels were painted prior to delivery. My vehicle was a special order and I took delivery of it just a few days after arriving at the dealer.
I’m picking up my vehicle tomorrow. I can’t wait to see the paint issue they are describing. Like I said I haven’t painted the wheels.
Any ideas on how I should go about this problem? Anyone experience any of this before?
      05-22-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Go to another dealer and stop painting your wheels?
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 06:57 AM   #3
joebie3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_driv3r View Post
So, I was away for a few weeeks and didn’t drive my x3m. When I returned I noticed there was some sort of rust on the rotors. From experience, I know this can happen. I drove the car and did a bedding process to remove it. I guess it was bad because it was like this for over a week. I was experiencing vibrating at the wheel and a horrible sound while braking.
Took the car into the dealer and they state they can’t find anything wrong even though I told them the rotors feel warped.
They also stated that they found paint from the wheels on the hub from when I painted my wheels. I’ve never painted my wheels and they are claiming there’s nothing they can do and I should pick up my vehicle. They also told me to contact the sales dept to find out if the wheels were painted prior to delivery. My vehicle was a special order and I took delivery of it just a few days after arriving at the dealer.
I’m picking up my vehicle tomorrow. I can’t wait to see the paint issue they are describing. Like I said I haven’t painted the wheels.
Any ideas on how I should go about this problem? Anyone experience any of this before?
Since you bought the car new, I would either try a different dealer or contact BMW NA - Or both. Sounds like a ridiculous claim honestly.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

If the rust was heavy enough that it persisted for a while through general use and a bedding process then you might have generated uneven pad deposits on the rotors. If the rotors now look clean, you might go out and try a bedding process again to see if that helps.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
You comment on rust, due to no use for a while, and then braking noise and a bit of vibration. Totally normal until you scrub the rust/corrosion off.

Sometimes it is quite bad, as the area behind the pads, while left unused, don't rust the same. Nothing to do with manufacturing faults or warping.

Often it simply improves with more use. I'm not convinced heavy braking itself, always works as well as gently using brakes to get rotor faces back to good condition. Just a caveat, sometimes nothing works due to excessive and irregular corrosion and pad deposits.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

BTW, what do the rotor friction faces look like?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:51 PM   #7
Nyc_driv3r
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Brooklyn Grey X3mc

Garage List
A manager at service took a look my wheels and admitted there was no way they were painted. I just had to do a more aggressive beding on the brakes to get rid of that rust. Seems fine now
      06-21-2023, 06:39 AM   #8
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
A manager at service took a look my wheels and admitted there was no way they were painted. I just had to do a more aggressive beding on the brakes to get rid of that rust. Seems fine now
I’m really surprised that rust would last though even one drive.

On any vehicle I’ve ever owned it only took a few taps of the brake to get it off.
Appreciate 0