BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #45
X3MSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M

Would they have pre registered the car or do they only register it when it gets to the dealer? I know it was group stock if that helps, it just had to be moved round the northwest?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #46
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MSteve View Post
Would they have pre registered the car or do they only register it when it gets to the dealer? I know it was group stock if that helps, it just had to be moved round the northwest?
I couldn't tell you for sure tbh, in my case it gets registered once arrived at the dealer.

From the way my email reads it's almost like they won't allow the car to be registered until this fix is done.

The story of my car is it was 2 days from dealership delivery last week and then on the 5th Dec then halted the whole process at a "delivery stop" for this update . So hasn't even made it to the dealership I would be collecting from yet and won't be released from this "delivery stop" along with many other vehicles in the same situation until the fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #47
X3MSteve
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwtsn View Post
I couldn't tell you for sure tbh, in my case it gets registered once arrived at the dealer.

From the way my email reads it's almost like they won't allow the car to be registered until this fix is done.

The story of my car is it was 2 days from dealership delivery last week and then on the 5th Dec then halted the whole process at a "delivery stop" for this update . So hasn't even made it to the dealership I would be collecting from yet and won't be released from this "delivery stop" along with many other vehicles in the same situation until the fix.
Do you know if yours was group stock?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #48
Jimmyjones654
Rep
Drives: X3M & M4

Quote:

How it’s been explained to me is no x3/4 is to be released, any used stock in BMW forecourts also included in this... I saw about the stop delivery on here before my dealer told me, the dealer network is quite in the dark this is BMW UK not the dealers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #49
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjones654 View Post
The worrying thing is they haven’t found a fix for the ecu update yet.... god knows when it will be able to collect.

I presume people with the cars already will be shortly getting a letter in the post or they are hoping they will find a fix quickly and do the update at the RIS so not to worry customers
People are having their RIS without issue though.
      12-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #50
Jimmyjones654
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
People are having their RIS without issue though.
Yes because they are already registered, I presume once they have updated the cars in stock they will then send out the recalls
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #51
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

Quote:
Quote:

How it’s been explained to me is no x3/4 is to be released, any used stock in BMW forecourts also included in this... I saw about the stop delivery on here before my dealer told me, the dealer network is quite in the dark this is BMW UK not the dealers
I've emailed my dealer and will let you know what he says but doesn't sound great based on others feedback.

Still wondering how it works for my situation. I have the V5 in my hand as I let the dealer reg to me in Nov for some more concessions and BMW are going to take the first finance payment at the end of Dec. Clearly not going to be very happy if I have no car to collect but am paying for it......

At the same time there clearly is a real issue and must be relatively serious if they are putting this stop in place....

Also clearly lots of people driving round in their cars already who will be affected too.

Let's hope for some clarity tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #52
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you know if yours was group stock?
Nope mine came directly from factory and arrived in UK on the 16th Nov
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #53
Jimmyjones654
Rep

You guys might be the lucky ones and be able to take it back when you have the RIS for us without cars registered god know how long the wait will be, I’ve been told bmw will pay some sort of compensation but would rather the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #54
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Sounds like a mess. If it's so important why are cars already with customers ok to keep driving?

Anyone who has a V5 will also have had their payments started as well I bet, so no car, but ownership and costs. Sounds like a proper fuck up. Poor show from BMW.

If everyone starts posting about it on BMW's twitter, instagram, Facebook etc, they might wake up. BMW often ignore queries made directly or fob you off, one negative post online and I generally get an instant response.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #55
Jimmyjones654
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Sounds like a mess. If it's so important why are cars already with customers ok to keep driving?

Anyone who has a V5 will also have had their payments started as well I bet, so no car, but ownership and costs. Sounds like a proper fuck up. Poor show from BMW.

If everyone starts posting about it on BMW's twitter, instagram, Facebook etc, they might wake up. BMW often ignore queries made directly or fob you off, one negative post online and I generally get an instant response.
Couldn’t agree more !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #56
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Reputational damage. Not to be ignored from BMW, they should be all over this. Interesting to see the thing gathering momentum here, cracking forum is this, another week and it is a s*** storm. I'll not walk away quietly.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #57
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Yes because they are already registered, I presume once they have updated the cars in stock they will then send out the recalls
Well of course the cars are registered, the point is there isn't anything to hold a car on the RIS and there isn't anything to worry about.

In fact one poster said they'd done an ECU upgrade during the RIS.
      12-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #58
X3MSteve
Private
Rep

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1676465

munchy posted his car had an ECU update during the RIS... That's interesting to me or purely co incidental?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #59
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Well of course the cars are registered, the point is there isn't anything to hold a car on the RIS and there isn't anything to worry about.

In fact one poster said they'd done an ECU upgrade during the RIS.
Oh you think ?
I still think the wording in the letter is key. It talks about no more hand overs.

I guess I have financially had the car handed over to me on the 30th Nov given the receipt of the V5 and the commencement of the finance agreement.

However I haven't physically had the vehicle handed over to me.

It sounds to me like the issue is something BMW know is serious enough that it could cost them big money to rectify if something goes pop. Hence they are limiting their liability and costs by not increasing their risk and delaying handovers until a fix is confirmed/completed.

For people that already have their cars, the risk is already out there BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:35 AM   #60
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

This is piss poor for you guys waiting to get your cars.

I collected mine on the 29th Nov had to pop back to the dealer a week later with some paperwork and he never mentioned anything about a recall.

Like others have said are BMW trying to limit the cost of having more cars on the road that could go bang.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:14 AM   #61
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have started liaising with BMW UK. I'm going to cancel I think, stick with what I have. I'm amazed that they have registered the car to me despite this stop release and I think they may have done something not exactly unlawful but certainly unpleasant. The worst deal I've ever been involved with, on reflection, really odd and with zero flow of useful information to clarify.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:20 AM   #62
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
I have started liaising with BMW UK. I'm going to cancel I think, stick with what I have. I'm amazed that they have registered the car to me despite this stop release and I think they may have done something not exactly unlawful but certainly unpleasant. The worst deal I've ever been involved with, on reflection, really odd and with zero flow of useful information to clarify.
Think I'm going to speak to BMW UK today and put some pressure on them. Make my point clear.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #63
Jimmyjones654
Rep

Quote:
Think I'm going to speak to BMW UK today and put some pressure on them. Make my point clear.
I spoke to bmw Uk and they said it wasn’t a safety recall it’s a performance update... so you can take the car..... spoke to a few different dealers all confirmed a stop is on and can’t release.... like you said no info is flowing down
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:31 AM   #64
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I spoke to bmw Uk and they said it wasn’t a safety recall it’s a performance update... so you can take the car..... spoke to a few different dealers all confirmed a stop is on and can’t release.... like you said no info is flowing down
If the early message in this thread is correct. It is the on board diagnostics not flagging a warning light based on errors reported from an oxygen sensor.

If this is the case then it is clearly a performance issue and sounds to me it's all about money as the issue/impact could be serious money for BMW to fix.

Hence they don't want any more potential liabilities on the road.

It must be a big risk if they are willing to defer revenues though......

I am concerned as I believe I will be allowed to collect my car as it is technically a Nov 30th registration but am really concerned about the hassle in case the fault arises as clearly BMW are concerned and the fix may be somewhat painful in time and hassle.....

See what my dealer says later, but can't believe there are such mixed messages between Corp and Dealer network.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #65
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll contact BMW UK anyway the more they hear of it hopefully the further up the priority list it goes.

If I were BMW and heard they are potentially going to lose business over it I would want a fix ASAP.

Don't want to say too much to the dealer about potentially cancelling as they have been alright about it, they don't know as much as they should so from their point I guess they are frustrated too.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:11 AM   #66
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'll contact BMW UK anyway the more they hear of it hopefully the further up the priority list it goes.

If I were BMW and heard they are potentially going to lose business over it I would want a fix ASAP.

Don't want to say too much to the dealer about potentially cancelling as they have been alright about it, they don't know as much as they should so from their point I guess they are frustrated too.
I agree mainly though think they have been ok up to the point when a V5 dropped on.my doormat without any explanation or warning. It's not on.
Appreciate 0