BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Mechanic or Body shop?

I was driving at highway speeds when a bunch of junk came flying out of a truck a few vehicles ahead of me. The debris hit a bunch of cars including mine. I pulled over to the side of the road to check to make sure there wasn’t any junk stuck to my car and see if there was any damage. I noticed that the driver’s side headlight washer cover was missing. I also had some sheetrock and paper stuck to the grill. After removing the debris , I continued home. When I got home I did better inspection and realized I also lost my license plate and the bracket it was attached to. I also took a better look at the headlight washer. When I put my finger in the hole I ended up knocking off a bit of plastic that fell to the bottom of the bumper.

I need to get it fixed; I’m not interested in doing it myself and was wondering if this is something I should take to a mechanic or a body shop? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I would call your insurance company and file a claim to get it fixed. Likely they will send you to a body shop to get the bumper repaired, bracket, etc. They *should* be able to fix the headlight washer as well, make sure to ask specifically about that when you get the estimate(s) done.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907433.00
      10-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I find it hard to believe that debris hit your bumper with enough force to tear off your washer door and plate mount but didn't damage the paint. A body shop is what you want. But you need to look closer at the paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
I would call your insurance company and file a claim to get it fixed. Likely they will send you to a body shop to get the bumper repaired, bracket, etc. They *should* be able to fix the headlight washer as well, make sure to ask specifically about that when you get the estimate(s) done.
I wasn't thinking about an insurance claim. I also didn't think I would need a new bumper as it looks fine. Below is a picture I took when I got home after the incident. I washed the car he next day and it 'looks' fine. I have a protective clear film on the front of my car which seem to have done it's job protecting the paint.

I guess there could be some damage I don't see that they might find when the go to replace the license bracket and/or repair the headlight washer.

I think I'll take your advice and call my insurance company.

Thanks,

-Bruce

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #5
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce24 View Post
I wasn't thinking about an insurance claim. I also didn't think I would need a new bumper as it looks fine. Below is a picture I took when I got home after the incident. I washed the car he next day and it 'looks' fine. I have a protective clear film on the front of my car which seem to have done it's job protecting the paint.

I guess there could be some damage I don't see that they might find when the go to replace the license bracket and/or repair the headlight washer.

I think I'll take your advice and call my insurance company.

Thanks,

-Bruce

you can buy these pre painted headlight washer cap on Ebay but I'm not sure how good is the paint quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Just to follow up -- yesterday an Insurance adjuster checked out my car and found the damage was much more substantial that I could have imagined. Along with the drivers side headlight washer and license plate bracket; the bottom part of the bumper, drivers light assembly and drivers fender all need to be replaced.

Here is the summary of what my insurance company authorized:

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

What a racket
Appreciate 0