BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-19-2024, 09:08 AM   #1
harryo2b
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 x30I

Question Best Option for Carbon Mirror Caps/Carbon Grill for '24 M40i

Did a search, many various posts with a lot of outdated links/sources.

What are the best quality/preferred sources for carbon mirror caps (replacements, not stick-ons or overlays) and carbon grill surround/full grill for a 2024 M40i?

What are the real-world experiences with the various vendors, to include the usual suspects like RW Carbon and Autotecknic as well as the eBay vendors? I am not considering OEM BMW, not wanting to pay crazy $ for visual upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:18 AM   #2
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryo2b View Post
Did a search, many various posts with a lot of outdated links/sources.

What are the best quality/preferred sources for carbon mirror caps (replacements, not stick-ons or overlays) and carbon grill surround/full grill for a 2024 M40i?

What are the real-world experiences with the various vendors, to include the usual suspects like RW Carbon and Autotecknic as well as the eBay vendors? I am not considering OEM BMW, not wanting to pay crazy $ for visual upgrades.
Have you tried Aliexpress?

here is one for the CF front grill @ 200 bucks

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:23 AM   #3
harryo2b
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
Have you tried Aliexpress?

here is one for the CF front grill @ 200 bucks

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
I have not, been doing most my interior parts shopping via eBay "Runnstar", which I had previously purchased from. But for exterior parts and the exposure to the elements, was trying to gauge what the X3 population here has purchased and installed on their own rides.

That Ali grill, is that something you have gone with?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:22 AM   #4
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have not, been doing most my interior parts shopping via eBay "Runnstar", which I had previously purchased from. But for exterior parts and the exposure to the elements, was trying to gauge what the X3 population here has purchased and installed on their own rides.

No but I have other parts that were from "Aliexpress", tbh it may be hit or miss but so far so good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Keefy1594.00
      03-19-2024, 11:17 AM   #5
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
No but I have other parts that were from "Aliexpress", tbh it may be hit or miss but so far so good.
Of the carbon fiber pieces in your photos, the one that I’d most like to add is the one around the radio controls. The plastic “piano black” just seems incongruous. But I’m not willing to take apart the dash to install it. If for some reason the dash has to come apart, such as for warranty work, maybe I’ll add it. (I already replaced the center console. That was easy.)

How was the fit and finish for that part?

The steering wheel would be nice, but, again, it’s too invasive for my taste, plus the current steering wheel is less incongruous.
      03-19-2024, 12:12 PM   #6
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
Of the carbon fiber pieces in your photos, the one that I’d most like to add is the one around the radio controls. The plastic “piano black” just seems incongruous. But I’m not willing to take apart the dash to install it. If for some reason the dash has to come apart, such as for warranty work, maybe I’ll add it. (I already replaced the center console. That was easy.)

How was the fit and finish for that part?

The steering wheel would be nice, but, again, it’s too invasive for my taste, plus the current steering wheel is less incongruous.
When you look at the pic for the radio bezel you can see I slipped a trim tool and started releasing all the clips from right to left..once you remove the piece from the clips , pull the left part of the top trim towards you and towards the right as there a plastic hook located on the right side of the top trim piece and then you can remove the radio bezel...install time no more than 15 mins...60 mins if your too timid..lol.

Fitment is oem.
Appreciate 1
BMWbiker386.50
      03-19-2024, 12:17 PM   #7
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
When you look at the pic for the radio bezel you can see I slipped a trim tool and started releasing all the clips from right to left..once you remove the piece from the clips , pull the left part of the top trim towards you and towards the right as there a plastic hook located on the right side of the top trim piece and then you can remove the radio bezel...install time no more than 15 mins...60 mins if your too timid..lol.

Fitment is oem.
Thanks! I’ll consider it.
      03-19-2024, 01:40 PM   #8
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

I fitted that grill from that seller to my car a few weeks ago. The black plastic part is inferior to OEM and in places is not very good. I simply removed the carbon trim and fitted it to my OEM slats.
The grill arrived damaged, clips that hold it to the car, as the box it came in isn’t quite big enough. It took almost two months to arrive.
Seller originally offered a part refund for me to repair and fix the grill but now wants to offer less so I’m in dispute through Ali.
I’m not actually using the broken part anyway as I’ve replaced with OEM.
The carbon needed cutting back with a rotary drill in the centre to fit perfect.
All in all not bad for the price but not perfect.
Attached Images

2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 3
Burr0013251.00
Keefy1594.00
      03-19-2024, 01:50 PM   #9
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I fitted these mirror caps and they are a very good fit.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ey8rlkZ
Attached Images

2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 3
Keefy1594.00
Piki16.50
      03-19-2024, 04:44 PM   #10
harryo2b
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
I fitted that grill from that seller to my car a few weeks ago. The black plastic part is inferior to OEM and in places is not very good. I simply removed the carbon trim and fitted it to my OEM slats.
The grill arrived damaged, clips that hold it to the car, as the box it came in isn’t quite big enough. It took almost two months to arrive.
Seller originally offered a part refund for me to repair and fix the grill but now wants to offer less so I’m in dispute through Ali.
I’m not actually using the broken part anyway as I’ve replaced with OEM.
The carbon needed cutting back with a rotary drill in the centre to fit perfect.
All in all not bad for the price but not perfect.
That's really good first-hand feedback. Much appreciated. The grill looks great, but sucks that you had to put in extra work to make it fit right.
Appreciate 0