BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2023, 02:15 AM   #1
avidfan
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i, M440i

Unhappy Help with X4 M40i that eats rotors

I posted this in an old thread dealing with warped rotors, but I was hoping to get advice if anyone has any experience with something similar. I bought a 2019 CPO X4 M40i with 10,000 miles on it in Sept 2022. It has been at the dealership off and on ever since then. They have replaced rotors 3 times and pads. (New rotors would be ruined within a couple of weeks) The rotors are warped from extreme heat. BMW was going to do a trade assist with me because they could not fix it and my car had been in the shop 4 times. Once for 2 weeks. They replaced both rear wheel bearings, put the car on the lift and drove it and found out it was actuating the brakes without pressing the pedal. They replaced the ESC module to attempt to fix it. When the field engineer came to check it out, he saw it had powder coated 21 inch 718M rims. He blamed all the issues on the powder coating and BMW will do nothing for me now. BMW NA said whatever the field engineer says is the last word and they do not care that the wheels came that way on a CPO car. I assumed they were stock. I know a lot about the M40i, but i do not keep track of wheel colors. It was listed as 718M and no mention of powder coating. Seems the engineer found something not stock that he could blame it on to put it all on me. Even if i spent a bunch of money to fix it, i have no guarantee it will work. All the dealership has done is offer to give me a low trade in quote and try to get me to buy another M40i at full price.

I have video of the car with the wheels on it that the dealer sent me before i purchased the car. It was my fourth BMW in a row and to make it worse, i purchased a brand new M440i about 3 weeks before they screwed me. I have been a lurker here since I bought my 2017 X4 M40i several years ago. I have bought 5 cars from bmw dealerships and done every bit of maintinance and repairs with them, but BMW NA will throw me away as a customer instead of doing the right thing. I would have bought cars from them forever. Now i am trying to figure out what car i will be happy with from another manufacturer… i have no desire to change, but I can not live with myself if I bought another car from them after being treated this way. Sorry for the long post, but I was hoping some of you guys and gals might have some experience. Everyone that I have told are just blown away that BMW would treat someone so invested in the brand this way.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 06:26 AM   #2
BMW540san
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i * 2010 M6

I simply can't see how the powdercoated wheels can have anything to do with warped rotors.
So you're saying sealer sold you the car as CPO with these exact wheels already powder coated?
Have you tried another dealer?
      05-07-2023, 07:36 AM   #3
2022X3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Mismatched tire diameters can cause issues - what size tires do you have F&R?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 07:45 AM   #4
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Sorry this happened/is happening. I have seen some weird stuff happen with cars, but I can’t see how powdercoated rims would have any effect on the brakes… That doesn’t even make sense, but not surprising a stealership is playing games. They normally do.
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022X3 View Post
HUH..how does tire sizing affect premature brake hardware wear?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:19 AM   #6
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidfan View Post
I posted this in an old thread dealing with warped rotors, but I was hoping to get advice if anyone has any experience with something similar. I bought a 2019 CPO X4 M40i with 10,000 miles on it in Sept 2022. It has been at the dealership off and on ever since then. They have replaced rotors 3 times and pads. (New rotors would be ruined within a couple of weeks) The rotors are warped from extreme heat. BMW was going to do a trade assist with me because they could not fix it and my car had been in the shop 4 times. Once for 2 weeks. They replaced both rear wheel bearings, put the car on the lift and drove it and found out it was actuating the brakes without pressing the pedal. They replaced the ESC module to attempt to fix it. When the field engineer came to check it out, he saw it had powder coated 21 inch 718M rims. He blamed all the issues on the powder coating and BMW will do nothing for me now. BMW NA said whatever the field engineer says is the last word and they do not care that the wheels came that way on a CPO car. I assumed they were stock. I know a lot about the M40i, but i do not keep track of wheel colors. It was listed as 718M and no mention of powder coating. Seems the engineer found something not stock that he could blame it on to put it all on me. Even if i spent a bunch of money to fix it, i have no guarantee it will work. All the dealership has done is offer to give me a low trade in quote and try to get me to buy another M40i at full price.

I have video of the car with the wheels on it that the dealer sent me before i purchased the car. It was my fourth BMW in a row and to make it worse, i purchased a brand new M440i about 3 weeks before they screwed me. I have been a lurker here since I bought my 2017 X4 M40i several years ago. I have bought 5 cars from bmw dealerships and done every bit of maintinance and repairs with them, but BMW NA will throw me away as a customer instead of doing the right thing. I would have bought cars from them forever. Now i am trying to figure out what car i will be happy with from another manufacturer… i have no desire to change, but I can not live with myself if I bought another car from them after being treated this way. Sorry for the long post, but I was hoping some of you guys and gals might have some experience. Everyone that I have told are just blown away that BMW would treat someone so invested in the brand this way.
You will most likely have to contact a lawyer who deals with lemon law laws in your state and provide documentation before you took delivery that the wheels are already installed and the history of your repairs to file a claim.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
I simply can't see how the powdercoated wheels can have anything to do with warped rotors.
So you're saying sealer sold you the car as CPO with these exact wheels already powder coated?
Have you tried another dealer?
That is correct. The wheels were on the car and powder coated when i bought it. It was certified with them.

I bought the car at a BMW dealer in Atlanta. I live a few hours away, so my local BMW dealer that I have done all my maintinance with has spent the last 6 months trying to fix it. I did not take it to another dealer because it is a few hours away, and my dealer seemed to be trying to fix it. When they had it for 2 weeks, they went through the whole braking system with someone from BMW NA.

I just can’t believe that BMW NA would not help a customer who bought a car that never should have been certified pre owned. It really appears that they were just looking to find an excuse to not help me any further. I mean they wont even fix the car and I have never even got to enjoy driving the thing. The brakes staryed feeling rough within a week of receiving it. I held off taking it in for a few weeks because I kept telling myself “there is no way a car with 10k miles needs new rotors”. It must be deposit transfer and will eventually go away”.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #8
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Sorry to hear about your situation. Do you actually feel the car is braking on its own or are the brakes somewhat engaged all the time? Either way, this should have been obvious during the test drive I suppose. But I'd lke to know what the FSE is smoking when he blamed the powder-coated wheels for this issue.

I can only suggest going to another dealership or if things get even uglier, lawyer up.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541036.00
      05-07-2023, 09:28 AM   #9
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post

I can only suggest going to another dealership or if things get even uglier, lawyer up.
He already had a BMWNA field engineer see the truck , so visiting another dealer is waste of time.

OP you can take your chances and go back to Atlanta and say it has been having issues immediately after taking delivery and they should repair it, but since having another dealer touch it they might say no. So at this point having a lawyer make a formal claim will help expedite it.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541036.00
      05-07-2023, 09:37 AM   #10
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022X3 View Post
It is the original staggered set that came on the car when it was made. They are the 21 inch and style 718M. I assume the original owner powder coated them, though it is entirely possible that the dealer in Atlanta did it. The only thing listed on the cars carfax was when it was oroginally bought, turned back in 2 years later with 10,000 miles, and wheel repair at dealership in Atlanta…. Then i bought it. It was still under complete manufacturer warranty until this month and now the CPO warranty starts. So, if i spend a bunch of money and replace the factory wheels and put new rotors and pads on, there is no gaurantee that it would even fix the car. I mean, the BMW dealer gave my car back to me supposedly “fixed” five times. I did not include the times I took it in and they tried shaving the rotors down to minimum spec, only to come back 2 weeks later and the front and rears be way under minimum spec.

My daily driving is taking my son to his school. I should not have been driving the car looking back on it, but they never told me it was not safe. I mean, my wheel and entire car shakes every time you hit the brakes. I learned how to drive using the brakes as little as possible, which is insane. I paid 58k for a car that has been a nightmare and BMW NA has no problem with it coming from the certified pre owned program.

Last edited by avidfan; 05-07-2023 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:50 AM   #11
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
He already had a BMWNA field engineer see the truck , so visiting another dealer is waste of time.

OP you can take your chances and go back to Atlanta and say it has been having issues immediately after taking delivery and they should repair it, but since having another dealer touch it they might say no. So at this point having a lawyer make a formal claim will help expedite it.
Gotchya… that is our current move. We notified them this past Friday and the manager acted concerned… but they threw a salesman on me and he offered me bottom dollar for a trade in and full price on a newer M40i certified pre owned. I would basically have to pay an extra 16,000 for it. They did ask for an invoice showing that the engineer said it was the powder coating. I may have trouble getting one bc i called my dealership on Saturday, and they told me they would send it to my email multiple times, but I never received anything. The dealership in Atlanta said they had their own engineer and that he was around all the time. I have no idea how their field engineer stuff works, but i am sure they dont get bonuses for helping customers.

I have already talked to several lawyers, but it is my last resort. Several i have talked to thought the dealer that sold me the car would take care of it, and if not to call them back.

Crazy that I paid extra money to buy CPO so i would not have to worry about an issue like this with the car.

Last edited by avidfan; 05-07-2023 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:55 AM   #12
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
You will most likely have to contact a lawyer who deals with lemon law laws in your state and provide documentation before you took delivery that the wheels are already installed and the history of your repairs to file a claim.
I do have pics of the car and a video the dealer sent me where they walk around the car and talk about how nice the wheels are showing the wheels were like that when purchased.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:00 AM   #13
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. Do you actually feel the car is braking on its own or are the brakes somewhat engaged all the time? Either way, this should have been obvious during the test drive I suppose. But I'd lke to know what the FSE is smoking when he blamed the powder-coated wheels for this issue.

You can not feel that it is applying the brakes on its own.. i did not know that until the dealer told me about it and its listed in my invoice.

You would not be able to tell a thing was wrong if you test drove it. When they put new rotors on, it seems to brake normal for a week or so… at least with the amount of driving I do. You would have to have to drive it for a bit after they resurface or put new rotors on.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:17 AM   #14
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Can you get the complete repair records from BMW for your VIN? They should be able to pull that info. If you are going through this issue, the previous owner probably also experienced this in the 10,000 miles he drove it. You may have a better chance of proving vehicle defect and qualify for lemon law and convince BMW/dealer to buy it back.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541036.00
      05-07-2023, 10:18 AM   #15
avidfan
Rep

The brakes are not the only issue I have had… it is just the “major” problem. In 6 months the car has been in for the brake issue 5 times if you count when they tried resurfacing the rotors. It has had an a/c repair because some module needed replaced. A check engine light caused by malfunctioning shudders in the front grill. It had a drivers side mirror that whistled like a train whistle while driving between 40 and 60mph. That whistle almost drove me insane and took them 4 times to fix. I showed them video of the problem and every time i came back to get it i got “could not replicate the problem… working normal”. I took their guy with me the last time… drove the car to 40 mph on the dot and he was like “oh yea”. I am sure they drove it around the building even though i told them it was between 40 and 60. You could hear it with the windows up and the radio on. Sorry.. off topic.. My 2017 had a few things go wrong but was my favorite car ever… this 2019 has been an absolute nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #16
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
Can you get the complete repair records from BMW for your VIN? They should be able to pull that info. If you are going through this issue, the previous owner probably also experienced this in the 10,000 miles he drove it. You may have a better chance of proving vehicle defect and qualify for lemon law and convince BMW/dealer to buy it back.
He had the car 2 years and only put 10k miles on it. He turned it in at its first maintinance. There are no records. In 6 months i drove it more than he did. There is no way for me to know what he did outside bmw. I figured the guy ran over something major and fixed the cosmetic issue on his own, but bent something slightly.. it does not take much.

I am telling you that the bmw field engineer is saying it is because the rims are powder coated.

BMW NA was going to do a trade assist until the engineer claimed it was the powder coated rims causing the whole issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #17
avidfan
Rep

Something that always runs circles in my head is how did the powder coating cause 2 rear wheel bearings to be way out of round? I mean they replaced them because they were way out of accepted spec. Anyone knowledgeable with how that is possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #18
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
He had the car 2 years and only put 10k miles on it. He turned it in at its first maintinance. There are no records. In 6 months i drove it more than he did. There is no way for me to know what he did outside bmw. I figured the guy ran over something major and fixed the cosmetic issue on his own, but bent something slightly.. it does not take much.

I am telling you that the bmw field engineer is saying it is because the rims are powder coated.

BMW NA was going to do a trade assist until the engineer claimed it was the powder coated rims causing the whole issue.
Well at the end of the day, hopefully your BMW won't get stolen or somehow sets itself on fire and the insurance co has to help you find and pay for another one. wink wink
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:39 AM   #19
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Something that always runs circles in my head is how did the powder coating cause 2 rear wheel bearings to be way out of round? I mean they replaced them because they were way out of accepted spec. Anyone knowledgeable with how that is possible?
The fact that the wheels were balanced and mounted is clear indicator that the wheel turns true....Done and done.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #20
Usachampion
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i, F87 M2C

This sounds like such an absolute nightmare and I’m sure we as a forum can say sorry you have to deal with it. Based on your past experience I’m sure you agree the normal BMW experience is fantastic, and it is such a shame indeed that BMWNA tosses a customer to the side like this. They should absolutely be going after the dealer for shady CPO practice. I Hope everything works out for you in the end and I’ll be following the story. Maybe it’s Porsche time!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 11:15 AM   #21
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Ok... sorry... originally read this at like 4:45am when we were up for the ninth time for storms... Here's my take:

Absolutely, without doubt, shove this car back up the dealer's a$$ you bought it from. Not your local dealer (because technically, it isn't their problem to solve). The dealer, who SOLD YOU A CERTIFIED CAR AS IT CURRENTLY IS, is responsible for solving this.. 100%. My recommendation, if the original selling dealer won't buy the car back immediately and make you whole again, tell them you want the ENTIRE BRAKE SYSTEM replaced, front to back, AND you want original OEM wheels put on the car and these powder-coated ones taken off. THEY SOLD YOU THE CAR AS CERTIFIED... THIS IS THEIR PROBLEM TO MAKE RIGHT... PERIOD.

Go straight to the GM of the selling dealer... nobody else. Be nice...but be VERY firm. Always say things like this over and over... "What would you do if you were in my shoes?" It forces them to accept that they put you in a horrible situation.

If all of this somehow doesn't work... which I can't fathom the selling dealer won't make it right somehow.... Your choices are to lawyer up, or cut bait and walk away all together. Drive to some non-BMW dealer, trade the car in on something new, and just look back on it with a sour taste in your mouth.

Please keep us posted.

EDIT: oh, and um... I HAVE POWDER-COATED 718s, and my brakes work the EXACT SAME WAY AS BEFORE THEY WERE POWDER-COATED FOR GOD'S SAKES... I HAVE NEVER, EVER, IN MY ADULT CAR-GUY LIFE, EVER HEARD OF SOMEONE SAYING THE BRAKES ARE NOT WORKING CORRECTLY DUE TO POWDER-COATED THE WHEELS. That is ridiculous! Hell, almost EVERY SINGLE high-end car dealership I know WILL POWDER-COAT THE WHEELS FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS if they want something like gloss black, or satin black.

Last edited by TXGrey; 05-07-2023 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
Leem40i115.00
      05-07-2023, 11:20 AM   #22
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
Yes this review the full history from BMW and Carfax - It probably didn't just go bad.
Appreciate 0