BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2022, 10:40 PM   #1
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Dorch Canbus Ethanol Content Analyzer

Got my Dorch kit today and installed it. Took me exactly an hour and 15 min to install. First try with BMW multi map and everything worked great. Pulled one log as well at E30 to compare to the non-multimap E30.

Kit was well done and instructions were great. The instructions make it look like there are more steps than there really are. They are just very detailed and don't leave anything out. The only barrier to this kit is comfort with repining connectors. If you've ever done this before the kit was a breeze. Couple of pictures attached.

I understand that the PTF kit is easier to install, but I had a very specific reason for going with the Dorch kit. The whole point of the kit is that you don't have to change your behavior or worry about what you put in your tank. My issue with the PTF kit is that when the sensor is on the gas tank, you are forgetting about all the fuel in the low pressure line that still has to be burned before the fuel that the sensor just read actually gets to the cylinders.

This means if you have a high ethanol empty tank and fill with pump gas, your engine will be running a pump gas tune with high ethanol gas (you'll run lean) until you get through the gas in the line. If you go from an empty pump gas tank to high ethanol, you'll be running way too aggressively while you burn up the pump gas in the line.

I did a few calculations, and assuming the gas line is 12 ft long (from PTF sensor to injector) and has a diameter of 8mm..theres actually 0.05gal of gas in the lines. At 20mpg that's a mile of driving or at a reasonable idling rate that's 11.6 min of idling. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to drive a mile with a E30 tune while I'm on pump 91...And even if you are ok with doing that what happens if someone else fills up your car? Do you want to explain to them to baby the car for approximately a mile after a fill up?

If you take the Dorch approach and move the sensor as close as possible to the HPFP, theres maybe 1.5 feet of total line between the sensor and the injectors. that's 0.12 miles or 1.5min of idling to burn that up. That's basically pulling out of the gas station and that's it. That feels a lot more reasonable to me.

But wait! The PTF kit has a parallel flow adaptor so that the flex fuel sensor doesn't impede any fuel flow. My calculations show this is not an issue. The TU pump pumps 1.178 cc/rev. At 7k rpm that's 495 liters per hour. That causes a 0.6 psi drop across the sensor in an 80psi system - less than 1%. Not a big deal.

Pressure drop source:
http://foreinnovations.blogspot.com/...el-sensor.html

Finally some logs before and after. I might do some more...we'll see. I would like to do a 91 comparison.

Log from a regular Stage 2 E30 map:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6296...729b4203862612

Log from a multi map Stage 2 91 map with flex fuel at E30:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=62d2...90c60574d11c6d

Biggest issue now is that theres no way to run a multi map that gives you stage 2+ power when you have ethanol in your tank, but scales it back to stage 2 when you have 91 (for those of us that live in areas with only 91). Need to bug PTF about that.
Attached Images

Last edited by abbike18; 07-15-2022 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Yes! Another performance minded trail blazer!!!

The installation document i recall is "very" detailed.

Do you recall any gotchas, quirks, and such that you can share from your installation, assuming it was DIY?

I'm almost to the point where there will "never" be a pnp solution at LPFP for G-cars, at least people that know this subject matter and the CAN system believes is not possible like is with F-cars.

So, going to BDC for CAN seems like is the next best thing such as this solution.

And yes, i have to drive the car like grandpa after fuel swap on my E-cars (due to where BT ECA is installed), although the g01 has BT ECA right at similar location near HPFP so helps to reduce time to babying the car.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1920711

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post

Biggest issue now is that theres no way to run a multi map that gives you stage 2+ power when you have ethanol in your tank, but scales it back to stage 2 when you have 91 (for those of us that live in areas with only 91). Need to bug PTF about that.
Same here, MHD custom code for stage+, also will not go down below the 93octane map, but ... i'm in the east coast...

Last edited by dinan5m3; 07-16-2022 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-16-2022, 10:38 PM   #3
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Do you recall any gotchas, quirks, and such that you can share from your installation, assuming it was DIY?
Yeah I did the install myself. I'll walk through each high level portion of the install and comment.

Physical install of the sensor and gas lines
The kit was super easy to put together and install. Fit was perfect. The hardest part was tightening the assembly on to the hardline that goes to the HPFP. Its a touch tight under the cowl, but you can get two wrenches on there if you rotate the connector just right (and it rotates pretty easily)

Running the lines from the sensor through the firewall
I've read that people stay away from engine compartment mounted can bus ECAs because of the firewall scope. But I don't get it. This was honestly super easy. There is a great run for the wire over to the passenger side of the firewall. You poke some plastic out of an obvious and easy to reach hole. Then you poke a regular flat head screwdriver down through the hole to make a hole in some foam. Then you push the wire through. Once the wire is through its right at the BDC - theres no crazy snaking wires through a jungle of climate control stuff.

Wiring everything up to the BDC
The instructions for this part are really really good. They tell you every little thing you need to do to take apart the connectors. The pins came out really easily and snapped back in really easily. The connectors don't have a ton of extra wire, so you are working down in the footwell. But I just got on my knees on the ground outside the passenger door and worked like that fine.

The X3 kit is still technically in development (you have to email them to get it) so I did have to give two pieces of feedback. But it was around clarity in the instructions rather than any deficiency in the kit. My two pieces of feedback were:
1.) For connector A, the colors of the wires in the instructions did not match what was on the car. However the pin #s were correct.
2.) For connector B, the harness does not have pin numbers on it. Instead you have to find the correct colored wires and match them to what the instructions say, or count to the correct pin referencing one of the ends of the connector.

Those two pieces of feedback should really only require a quick instruction set change for them so shouldn't be a big deal.
dinan5m34263.50
540iSUP704.00
      07-17-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The X3 kit is still technically in development (you have to email them to get it)
Looks like i'll need to e-mail them. Hoping i can just get the electronics only (no hoses, no sensor) as shown on their product page, to retrofit existing BT ECA from BMS/Fuel-It.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I'm having an issue with my setup. Every approximately 4 seconds:
-The Ethanol % goes to 255
-The fuel temperature goes to 215
-The flex fuel sensor error goes to 255

Check out the log:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=62d4...729b01fc39458b

I've done some testing and I actually don't think it is the dorch setup, I think it is BM3 as the erroneous values still appear even after I unplug the Zeitronix CANBus module.

Anyone else have a flex fuel setup on their G01 X3? If so can you say what tuning platform, flex fuel sensor and CANBus module you are using?

Thanks!
      07-19-2022, 06:42 PM   #6
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I've done some testing and I actually don't think it is the dorch setup, I think it is BM3 as the erroneous values still appear even after I unplug the Zeitronix CANBus module.

Anyone else have a flex fuel setup on their G01 X3? If so can you say what tuning platform, flex fuel sensor and CANBus module you are using?

Thanks!
There is one other board member that i recall from Portugal (???) that has the same dorch eca kit, with mhd.

I run passive eca through the bluetooth.

I haven't played enough with bm3, but how does bm3 setup looks like for specifying the eca?

Is there specific selection for zeitronix eca?

After you disconnected the eca from the CAN bus, did you go back to the "none" setting for eca? Or, left it at zeitronix? If latter then not sure what bm3 is supposed to do with that.
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #7
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is one other board member that i recall from Portugal (???) that has the same dorch eca kit, with mhd.

I run passive eca through the bluetooth.

I haven't played enough with bm3, but how does bm3 setup looks like for specifying the eca?

Is there specific selection for zeitronix eca?

After you disconnected the eca from the CAN bus, did you go back to the "none" setting for eca? Or, left it at zeitronix? If latter then not sure what bm3 is supposed to do with that.
That's the weird thing about BM3....you don't select anything. It is supposed to just 'know' that you have a flex fuel sensor and read it. So there aren't any settings to mess around with. I have seen screenshots of the MHD functionality and it looks more developed for sure. If money was nothing I would get MHD and switch over to see if the same thing was happening to try and narrow down the issue.

I did a test today where I unplugged the canbus module, so effectively the car had no flex fuel sensor equipment. I then let the car sit for a few hours. I went back and turned the car on and checked the BM3 values. It was at an ethanol content of 255% and the torque, ignition and fuel were all scaled to maximum ethanol!! So that's pretty scary. I definitely let BM3 know about that...because if my test is correct then someone who isn't planning on using flex fuel and runs pump gas could end up driving around with an E50 map running.

This is what I get for adopting their Gen1 G series multimaps like 2 weeks after they come out lol
540iSUP704.00
      07-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's the weird thing about BM3....you don't select anything. It is supposed to just 'know' that you have a flex fuel sensor and read it. So there aren't any settings to mess around with. I have seen screenshots of the MHD functionality and it looks more developed for sure. If money was nothing I would get MHD and switch over to see if the same thing was happening to try and narrow down the issue.

I did a test today where I unplugged the canbus module, so effectively the car had no flex fuel sensor equipment. I then let the car sit for a few hours. I went back and turned the car on and checked the BM3 values. It was at an ethanol content of 255% and the torque, ignition and fuel were all scaled to maximum ethanol!! So that's pretty scary. I definitely let BM3 know about that...because if my test is correct then someone who isn't planning on using flex fuel and runs pump gas could end up driving around with an E50 map running.

This is what I get for adopting their Gen1 G series multimaps like 2 weeks after they come out lol
That answers my question, i.e. BM3 seem "confused" what is going on, especially if you have no screen to tell it that it is no longer hooked up. Plug-n-Play seem tto be running a foul here.

FYI, this is how the CAN ECA device selection screen looks in MHD,

Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
abbike18701.00
      07-19-2022, 07:01 PM   #9
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

I need to check with MHD support, but this maybe possible, i.e. i can "loan" you my MHD license and you can test it out. This would also help the guy next in line, like me.
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-19-2022, 07:05 PM   #10
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I need to check with MHD support, but this maybe possible, i.e. i can "loan" you my MHD license and you can test it out. This would also help the guy next in line, like me.
Yeah let me know...I would definitely be down to try that with you! It wouldn't take too long.

Tell MHD it's to prove their dominance against BM3 lol
dinan5m34263.50
JP.BSB9.00
      07-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #11
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah let me know...I would definitely be down to try that with you! It wouldn't take too long.

Tell MHD it's to prove their dominance against BM3 lol
I'll PM you. Thinking is i'll include you as cc: in e-mail correspondence with MHD support. I know i had given my tuner my MHD license so he can use it on his own smartphone during custom tuning process. But it's still same VIN. But i don't know if VIN difference matters. Also i see you have 2019 MY which matches mine. We should try, because i'm this close to also ordering the same kit, electronics only. Dorch did reply this morning, and did say use it at my own risk, only because it's not (yet) sanctioned kit by them.
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #12
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll PM you. Thinking is i'll include you as cc: in e-mail correspondence with MHD support. I know i had given my tuner my MHD license so he can use it on his own smartphone during custom tuning process. But it's still same VIN. But i don't know if VIN difference matters. Also i see you have 2019 MY which matches mine. We should try, because i'm this close to also ordering the same kit, electronics only. Dorch did reply this morning, and did say use it at my own risk, only because it's not (yet) sanctioned kit by them.
Yeah Dorch did say that it wasn't fully sanctioned yet. They told me it was because they were still making sure that the instructions for install were perfect. BM3 does say that Zeitronix is supported.

Anyways, I PMed you back. Hopefully I can do some MHD/Dorch kit testing for the community if MHD wants to cooperate.

In other news BM3 emailed me back today saying they are having their dev team look at my issues. I did a TON of troubleshooting and testing and sent them all the results. Will keep everyone updated here on the BM3 end of things as well.
dinan5m34263.50
540iSUP704.00
      07-20-2022, 08:06 AM   #13
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
My kit is enroute.. So I can't help you right now with any info.. and I'm MHD tuned
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #14
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
My kit is enroute.. So I can't help you right now with any info.. and I'm MHD tuned
Nice! Dorch did check and the other people who tested this kit for them were on MHD. So you should be ok, and likely BM3 is just working out a kink on the Zeitronix unit (note that many CANBus ECA kits use the Zeitronix unit)
dinan5m34263.50
540iSUP704.00
      07-24-2022, 12:26 AM   #15
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Thank you guys for pushing the B58 platform. I have a 540i, but run into the same issues with products specific to the 3/4 series. I was about to get the Dorch kit, but I'm running BM3 and I'm worried about the issues you are having.
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-24-2022, 12:39 AM   #16
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

abbike18 I'm guessing you're using a TU pump?
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #17
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
abbike18 I'm guessing you're using a TU pump?
Yup, TU pump here. But that shouldn't affect the tuner software/ECA.

BM3 got back to me and had me run another test so they are working on it. If/when I get resolution I'll def post back here. MHD got it working on this platform so BM3 should be able to.
540iSUP704.00
JP.BSB9.00
dinan5m34263.50
      07-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #18
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah I did the install myself. I'll walk through each high level portion of the install and comment.

Physical install of the sensor and gas lines
The kit was super easy to put together and install. Fit was perfect. The hardest part was tightening the assembly on to the hardline that goes to the HPFP. Its a touch tight under the cowl, but you can get two wrenches on there if you rotate the connector just right (and it rotates pretty easily)

Running the lines from the sensor through the firewall
I've read that people stay away from engine compartment mounted can bus ECAs because of the firewall scope. But I don't get it. This was honestly super easy. There is a great run for the wire over to the passenger side of the firewall. You poke some plastic out of an obvious and easy to reach hole. Then you poke a regular flat head screwdriver down through the hole to make a hole in some foam. Then you push the wire through. Once the wire is through its right at the BDC - theres no crazy snaking wires through a jungle of climate control stuff.

Wiring everything up to the BDC
The instructions for this part are really really good. They tell you every little thing you need to do to take apart the connectors. The pins came out really easily and snapped back in really easily. The connectors don't have a ton of extra wire, so you are working down in the footwell. But I just got on my knees on the ground outside the passenger door and worked like that fine.

The X3 kit is still technically in development (you have to email them to get it) so I did [...]
abbike18 for connector A and B, which ones are they from the attached? It doesn't clearly specify in the install instructions...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-28-2022, 06:50 PM   #19
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
abbike18 for connector A and B, which ones are they from the attached? It doesn't clearly specify in the install instructions...
3 and 8 iirc. Look at the pictures in the instructions and they are the ones in the exact same positions as the instructions. Note that the instructions don't have the maroon one like you (and I) do.
_ink619.00
      07-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #20
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
3 and 7 iirc. Look at the pictures in the instructions and they are the ones in the exact same positions as the instructions. Note that the instructions don't have the maroon one like you (and I) do.
It doesn't have the first blue one either which is the confusing part...

So Black = A and White = B?

Thanks for the fast reply btw!! Lifesaver!!
Appreciate 1
abbike18701.00
      07-28-2022, 06:56 PM   #21
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't have the first blue one either which is the confusing part...

So Black = A and White = B?

Thanks for the fast reply btw!! Lifesaver!!
A was 3 and B was 8. Note I corrected my original post after reviewing the instructions.

Note that the connectors inside the connector that you slide out were the same colors as the instructions as well.

Hope that helps!
_ink619.00
      07-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #22
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
But there is only connector 9,8,7,6??

9 = Blue